[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Month Four (April) Ruffled Roses

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for responding, Kathy! I have already starched my fabrics because I've learned I get better results. However, I will take a few minutes to take my level of starching up a notch! That makes sense!

Comment

Thanks, Helen. I understand grain, but this is a good description! It's the wording in the pattern that leaves me confused. I know what I *think* I should do but I hoped someone on the forum might remember what we were supposed to do.

I'm impressed I've already gotten two responses! Thank you for noticing my post!
      Becky

Comment

Here are a couple of photos. The centre of the medallion is missing the roses some of you might expect. My current plan is to make ruched roses although that might change. I'm leaving them to the end so they are not in the quilter's way once I finish. Last night, I finished piecing the baskets. I found a mistake in one and there are a couple I don't like. I might remake a couple. I'm still working on the appliqued swags and I haven't started any of cornerstones although I hope to prep some of those later today.

Becky

Comment

Becky, What is the wording that you are not sure of? Maybe someone who did it will see the specific wording and know exactly what you are asking about.
          Your pictures are beautiful. HelenW

I just went back and looked at the other pages on this this topic and it looks like Margo was the helper monitor for this BOM. Maybe she will see your post.
          I know she checks in every now and then. Also, Barbara Black did this quilt and she is a treasure chest of tips and tricks and everything you need to know about
          quilting. Keep checking back, the help is probably coming, bet Barbara sees it today.

Comment

The pattern includes a chart. One of the headings says "cut this unit" and gives sizes. Some are 1.5" by 5.5". Others are 1 x 5.5" and so forth.
            Another column says, "This measurement should be cut parallel to the selvedge." Under that, it says 1.5". I think that means cut a 1.5. strip and then subcut into 5.5" pieces. Doing it that way would use the grain of the fabric the way I would do it. However, the wording is an odd way to say that which has me second guessing myself.

Comment

Becky, in Month 4, the Pieced Swags are introduced and Sue talks again about "cut parallel to the selvage". I can see the confusion. You want the 1.5" x 5.5" pieces to be as stable as possible, so the lengthwise grain--that is parallel to the selvage--to be along the 5.5" length. So cross cut the strip 5.5" then sub-cut into 1.5" units.

Another HUGE TIP I wish I had known--when making the pieced swags, be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam. I didn't. and had lots of fixing to do during quilt assembly as the stitches started to open up at the ends of the seams--of course, I worked on it off and on for 8 years so they got handled a lot, off and on. Just get in the habit of securing those seams and you will be really glad you did later.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
              North Alabama, USA
              "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Thank you for the clarification, Barbara. And, also for the bonus tip!! I will try to be careful about securing the ends of each seam!

Becky

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 52 users online. 0 members and 52 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X