X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month Four (April) Ruffled Roses

This month is a four patch border.

Here are my two versions:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

I like them both but the top one is closer to what my mini will look like. I already had the dimensions figured for this border for both quilts. What I was waiting on was the pieced swag border instructions which starts this month too. I decided to sketch it full size first (see diagram) then went to work on reducing it. The miniature quilt was a challenge but I finally arrived at the best option to keep the finished quilt under 24" and to keep the other borders the size I'd already calculated. The logs for these swags will be 9/32" x 1 11/16". 1/4" made the border too large, 3/16" made the border too small, so I finally decided to try slightly more than 1/4" with 10 logs instead of 14 and it came close to what I was looking for. The Christmas one was much easier. The logs will measure 1/2" x 4" and there will be 14 per section. I will be able to strip piece that one but the mini will require paper.

Comment

You are a BRAVE WOMAN!! :shock:

Comment

Wow this is going to be one fantastic mini quilt

Taree NSW - Australia
        My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

MARGO one question please, I am sewing my diamond border differently than Sue's pattern as I feel it's the easy way to go for me (re TQS Show 703 with Rachel D.K. Clark) what I need to know is the finished size between the diamond point and the edge of the thin floater border please.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Taree NSW - Australia
          My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Patchworkjill
            MARGO one question please, I am sewing my diamond border differently than Sue's pattern as I feel it's the easy way to go for me (re TQS Show 703 with Rachel D.K. Clark) what I need to know is the finished size between the diamond point and the edge of the thin floater border please.

Thanking you in advance for your help.
            I'm not sure what "diamond" shape you are talking about Jill, but on page 6 of Sue's directions she says:

The shorter 4-patch borders should be 45 inches long; the longer 4-patch strips should be 50 inches long;
            (unfinished sizes). They should all be 3 inches wide (unfinished size).
            Before you add the four-patch border units to the quilt center, you need to add floaters.

Is that the info you need?

Comment

Margo, question please. I hope I am able to explain this clear enough. If I look at YOUR quilt for this month..... and I look at Sue's quilt for this month.....the very last floating border on your quilt is much wider than what Sue says to put on. I know that next month, Sue starts out with a blue floating border. Did you incorporate those two borders, giving you one, wider border? I like your wider border better than two thinner ones. I think your wider border shows up better, and frames the quilt better. If this is true, then I will just wait until next month to see what dimensions I need to match. I hope I explained this clear enough. I know what I am thinking, I am just not sure I said it correctly.... :roll:

THANK YOU!

Comment

I'm thinking you will have to complete all of your basket blocks, which won't happen until November, before you will know the size of the next floater. Unless yours turn out the perfect size!

Comment

Originally posted by Bertwood
                  Margo, question please. I hope I am able to explain this clear enough. If I look at YOUR quilt for this month..... and I look at Sue's quilt for this month.....the very last floating border on your quilt is much wider than what Sue says to put on. I know that next month, Sue starts out with a blue floating border. Did you incorporate those two borders, giving you one, wider border? I like your wider border better than two thinner ones. I think your wider border shows up better, and frames the quilt better. If this is true, then I will just wait until next month to see what dimensions I need to match. I hope I explained this clear enough. I know what I am thinking, I am just not sure I said it correctly.... :roll:

THANK YOU!
                  Actually I do have two floaters, (red and green) but they are the same value so they visually appear to be one. If you like the look of one wide border, just wait until you have assembled the basket border so you will know what your dimensions need to be. Make it however you want it!!

Comment

Margo many thanks I was looking for the width of the stips.......gee why didnt I think to word it that way as soooo easier to understand.......you have no idea of how many times I looked on Sue's pattern and could not see the 3" you just mentioned......sometimes I just wonder about my mind I can tell you.... ops: ops: ops:

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

You girls are not going to believe this! I made my scalloped border--not once but twice and then decided that it doesn't work with the center of my quilt. I may be doing the whole center over. I love the scalloped border I made and I have not been completely happy with my center so this will be the third center I have made for this quilt. Maybe, I should just bury it with my UFOs and pretend it isn't taunting me.

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

Thank you Margo............I think I understand now. ops:

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
                          You girls are not going to believe this! I made my scalloped border--not once but twice and then decided that it doesn't work with the center of my quilt. I may be doing the whole center over. I love the scalloped border I made and I have not been completely happy with my center so this will be the third center I have made for this quilt. Maybe, I should just bury it with my UFOs and pretend it isn't taunting me.
                          Anything we can do to help? :cry:

Comment

Naw--I just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Comment

Ritzy, I just looked at your 2/26 picture in the gallery, and your quilt is LOVELY...are you sure that you want to abandon it? In my quilting group each of us always struggles with being our own worst critic, and it helps to have someone to talk you down from the ledge. In the end, of course, you need to please yourself, but please know that your work is valued by others.

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 58 users online. 0 members and 58 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X