Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Loren! Great explanation

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

I have not read all the posts on this topic, but I have used these pens that have been around for at least 5 years. I saw the demo on them at a vendors booth at a large quilt show.

They give a very fine line, but after the ironing to remove them the residue is still there & I have only recently found a way pf removing them. I have sprayed the lines with Resolve Oxi-action Laundry stain remover. I did just a bit of rubbing & the lines were gone.

The lines if not removed from the fabric with some sort of laundering can & will return if the quilt gets cold enough. I had them return on a quilt that was shipped back to me in the winter in Canada, no surprise that it got cold enough. So if a quilt is shipped in an unheated compartment in winter the same thing can happen.

I had seen a well known quilter state that she has had success with pressing the lines with a strong jet of steam, but I did not have any success when I tried.

Dawn
      BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by "lanajoyce" post=128018
        Thanks for all the information. I just can't figure out why anyone would put their quilt in a freezer? Am I missing something? Please let me know why the freezer test is so crucial??!!???

Thanks!
        If you leave a quilt in a car or outside in cold weather, or if your power goes off, those lines could come back. Not if you live in the tropics, maybe, but certainly if you live somewhere it gets cold.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I use a Hera marker and never had it show up after I finished a quilt or what ever I used it to make with. It makes a crease mark that comes out of everything II have done.
          I do not mark quilts to be quilted so do not know about that. At the West Coast Quilters Conference that was held in Sacramento in 1996, Laura Lee Fritz (the best I can remember) did something called Dent Transfer. She used a variety of items to make the marks that were dents. She even would mark quilts for you. I thought she used a Hera marker, but her hand out does not mention one. Maybe I am not remembering the right person, but that is where I started using the Hera marker. She used onion skin paper to draw designs on and then a blunt hard object to make the dent. Light shines off the squashed lines and then to remove you can wet the fabric and the indentation will disappear. I even use my fingernail to mark stopping lines when I am putting on binding. Often times the marks are gone by the time I have gotten the piece done. Once I let a girl use my marker when she was sewing X on denim squares and she wore it down., but the marks were visible for her to sew and were gone buy the time she completed .Laura says to use a stainless steel crochet hook size 7, a toothbrush-rug-tool, a medium balled burnishing tool or a ballpoint pen that is completely out of ink. This is an old method but does well. The light from your machine makes it visible, while you are sewing. It is safe for fabric and easily removed.

Comment

I, too, have a Pfaff with dual feed. LOVE it! I used it for most of my piecing and much of my quilting. I can't imagine fumbling around with a "walking foot." The integrated dual feed is so much better. And I only spent $2,000 on my machine in the year 2000 - not the $5,000 and more that Bernina charged.

Comment

I just want to clarify....I did NOT put a quilt in the freezer. Only a small piece of cotton fabric with writing and markings on it to do the test. The reason I put the piece of fabric in the freezer was because I was trying to figure out how cold, cool and regular cool air would react to the markings. Some travel with their quilts or live in colder climates. I found out the reaction and the bottom line is, I would not use this product on my quilts or quilts I may do for someone else. And like, someone else here posted, you don't know how the chemicals in the pens are going to react long term to our quilts. These pens were not made or advertised to be used how we would like to use them. Quilters are determined people so we will find something that suits our personal needs and make it work.

Comment

Oooh,Dawn, you may have come up with a solution for actually removing the marker.

Comment

By the way, my quilt"Perspective in Threads" will be at IQF Chicago. It's not in the judged show, but is part of the Tactical Architecture special exhibit. I thought it might be but wasn't sure until I got this fun little badgie thingie in a surprise email today:

Comment

Oh Betty Jo -

Shout it Loud, Wear it Proud !

Comment

Betty Jo - Do you know where else it will be displayed? Would love to see the exhibit in person.

Kathy

Comment

Kathy, The Tactical Architecture exhibits run from Houston IQF show to Houston IQF show, and they don't publish where it is going, but I would expect it to be at the IQF Quilt, Knit, Stitch in Portland Oregon in Aug 13-15th. Beyond that I just have no idea.
                        Thanks. This discussion has made me want to make another similar one...different colors this time.

Comment

Is there a place to see the exhibit online?

Comment

Not that I know of.

Comment

always check before you use the blue and black work well ,but when you use the felt tip in pink or orange etc it leaves a white line but the blue is great marked a whole top then when it was done just put warm iron all over and it just disappeared its fantastic but always check on spare muslin or whatever you are using

Comment

if you use the plain blue or black work well but check all first as the pink orange or lime leave a white line after heat applied i love using as pencil never always came out

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 94 users online. 0 members and 94 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X