[vb_main_1]

Frixion Pens

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frixion Pens

Has anyone else had this problem with the new Frixion Pens for marking your quilt.
    I had used them before with no problem. I ironed the "line" and it disappeared.
    This time, however, I used them on very dark (black and brown batik fabric) and when
    I ironed the line it just faded, but did not disappear. I was devastated! I ended up
    quilting lines on top of the marks to hide them. I think it worked, but just wondering if
    anyone else had this same problem and how did you solve it?
    Thanks!

I just tested them on some batiks I am using in a current project and a shadow was left behind. i decided to use something else. Not sure what. Thank goodness I tested because I would not have been happy. They were rather dark or intense colored batiks. i was surprised because everywhere else I've used them they disappear completely.

Comment

Hi Lanajoyce. I have seen various threads about these pens, in other quilting groups on FB, where one of the members contacted the maker who states that these pens are NOT Developed for use on fabric.

Others, including our tqs member Lorchan have done various 'heat, wash, freeze' cycle tests and even after (I think) 3 washes the ink is still in/on the fabric and will come back if exposed extreme cold (which could happen if the quilt is posted someplace etc.)

My conclusion from other peoples research is that these pens are not worth the time, money, or stress to use on quilts and I have thus no personal experience to share with removal or otherwise of this ink.

By the way welcome to the forum, and I am glad you were able to save this quilt with quilting over the marks.

Comment

As much as I like the Frixion pens, I only use them on light fabric. I can't remember where I saw it, but supposedly if you steam the faded line it will come out because that faded line is the gel and the steam will get rid of it. I don't put water in my iron, so haven't tried it. I always test my fabrics before putting Frixion on it.

Sharon

Comment

Thanks to everyone who gave me some very good feedback. I was shocked to hear that these pens are not for
          fabric! I bought my very first one at a good reputable Quilt Shop and the others I bought from Nancy's Notions.
          What a disappointment!

Again, thanks to all who took the time to write - it is appreciated!

Comment

So pleased I read this topic, I have recently bought Frixion pens, but as yet haven't used them on fabric and I don't think I will take the risk. Thank you to all who commented.
            Best Wishes Pam

Comment

Always test any marking tool. Do I use them? Of course...but only after testing.

Comment

The company who makes the Frixion Pens confirms that they were not intended to be used on fabric, and that the chemicals in them can only be removed by professionals using even more chemicals. So, if you use these pens, the chemicals stay in the fabric, even if you wash the fabric several times. That's why the markings can come back, even years later. The pens have not been around long enough to know what their longterm effect on fabric is.

BUT........ I love using them on paper when taking notes, because I can correct my frequent spelling errors quick and easily.
                From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I've used these a little...not on any where that will show.....as with all marking things....test, test and test !

Comment

It happened to me on batiks, I was NOT happy,since I had marked the center of a heart.. Since then, I use them only to mark certain seams.

Andrée

Comment

Comment

I used them on a few small quilts this past year and didn't see a problem. But I did notice when I was marking a batik project it left a mark so I switched .

Comment

This has been helpful to me. I will continue to use them but with extreme caution. If you think about it the concept it is almost too good to be true. That's often percieved as a red flag and should be see so here.

Comment

Hello, the ladies I know really like them and mention that you do have to be careful. Also, noted was that if the project gets very, very cold it will show up again. That is just my info. for you.

Thank you

Comment

well! I bought some too, even having read about the temp issue. hadn't used them yet, guess I won't. wonder though, based on comments in this thread, if the nature of batik fabrics (dye/dye process) has something to do with it 'sticking' to them.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 80 users online. 0 members and 80 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X