[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Frixion Pens

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will lines drawn with Crayola Washable Markers disappear just by spritzing with water? Wondering if I could use them on a wallhanging that I don't intend to wash.

Comment

Crayola washables have to have sufficient water to go away. They will go away if you soak your quilt for blocking, but not for those that just get spritzed, I don't think. They are really reliable for quilts one soaks for blocking or washes on the other hand. I have even ironed over them and still had them wash out completely never to return.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Here is an example of Crayola Washables on a washed wall quilt I made:
        First, the marked detail:

Now the quilt after completion and washing:

Comment

One doesn't need to be sending a quilt for competition or into outer space. Living in a colder climate and just having said quilt in a vehicle in wintertime will be sufficient for the Frixon marks to come back. Sometimes having marks come back is wanted, for instance marking for embroidery etc. then needing to iron to set crayon embellishing for instance, the marks will disappear but place it in the freezer for awhile and the marks will come back for embroidery. Use with caution.

Comment

they disappear quickly. but to permantly remove them , you have to use a very hot steam iron. to melt away the gel that is in them..Lynette

Comment

I purchased Frixion pens on the advice of a friend. Fortunately, I'm not as artistic as some of you, and being unsure of the product, I just made little registration dots for my quilting. I used a pen color that was a color in the fabric so not to stand out more than necessary. Especially since this wasn't my quilt. (Yes, I went all out and purchased every color.) In our quilt guild I had heard of issues with the Frixion pen and the cold weather so I decided to do some testing. Absolutely true. I wrote on a piece of cotton fabric, removed it with heat and that night placed it in the freezer. Bingo, the color returned. Did the same thing again and placed the fabric in the refrigerator. Back came the marks only not quite as strong. Again, I went through the process and placed the fabric outside in the cool air. The marks returned a little less. I just would not use this pen for major markings.

Comment

When I went to Houston in 2011 I won a cute embroidered pincushion kit in one of the Schoolhouses. II decided to iron the fabric prior to embroidering as it was wrinkled quite a bit from folding in the package. I was very upset that the image disappeared! After thinking about it for a few minutes, I remembered hearing about these Frixion pens and wondered if it had been marked with a Frixion. I put it in the freezer over night and was very happy when the image reappeared, enabling me to embroider and complete the kit. After this experience, I wouldn't be using it on a quilt top....I just completed two quilts using the blue washable markers, both Mark Be Gone and Clover and they both removed completely in the wash. Remember, do not iron the blue marked lines as that will set the mark, just spritz with water and wash with cold water, no detergent or soap.

Comment

I have purchased the Frixion pens, but haven't played with them yet. I'm thinking you could use them to include hidden messages on your project, which show with the temperature change..secret agent quilts, perhaps? I remember writing messages on paper in milk when I was a child, and after drying, when held over a lightbulb, as a heat source, the message appears. Or, use them as an additional signature on your quilt, which can't be easily removed. They are kind of a magical art supply.

Comment

I bought a Frixion Pen, paid quite a bit for it. Used it couple of times then didn't for several months. Next time I picked it up, it wouldn't write on anything. Too expensive to quit that fast.

Comment

I have used Frixion pens to mark my quilting. I like them very much. Recently had one in a show that was all white background and used black Frixion pen. I like it because I can use the steam iron and "hover" over the quilt and not actually iron.
                      I am a student of Cindy Needham's design workshop and she recommends the Frixion in Blue or Black (of course, try on your fabric). She says to not use on Batiks.

Quiltbuilder
                      aka Joann Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by "Sewdreamy" post=128193
                        Here is an example of Crayola Washables on a washed wall quilt I made:
                        First, the marked detail:

Now the quilt after completion and washing:

Awesome quilt! Has my head spinning with ideas. I'm trying to get better at free motion quilting, but this has mostly straight lines used to achieve wonderful effect.

Kathy

Comment

Beautiful quilt Betty Jo!
                          Pam

Comment

Kathy, You can do a huge amount with straight stitching and rows of decorative stitching. I used free motion on some of this, but not much. Even the shadow under the stairs are rows and rows of straight stitching. I used four different thread weights. This quilt is currently touring with 2014's Tactical Architecture that began in Houston. I suggest using either a dual feed, if you have it, or a walking foot on straight stitch quilting. But such stitching really must have good, solid marking. I really have found that nothing beats Crayola Washables, but, as I said, you DO have to wash or soak it off.

Comment

Let me try again and explain what my concern is about these FriXion pens (and I do loooove to use them for jotting down this and that on paper):

I do not intend to freeze my quilts, and I don't intend to move to Alaska or Iceland and use my quilts outside.

But: At this point in time we do not know what the chemicals in the pens will do to our quilt in a few years. They may be perfectly ok, or they may destroy the fabric. At this point, we do not know.

We DO know that if FriXion pens are used on fabric, the chemicals will not wash out, whatever method of washing you use.

I do not know what exact chemicals are used in the FriXion pens, but they use 'thermoreactive dyes', and they always contain some or all of the following chemicals: Leuco dyes, spiralactones, fluorans, spiropyrans, and/or filgicides.

So, it's up to each of us. Personally, I will continue to use these pens on paper (what they were designed and developed for). For marking quilts I will use methods with a longer track records.
                              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I have a Pfaff which has the integrated dual feed - big factor in my selecting that brand, especially since I didn't want to spend big money on a Bernina with a stitch regulator.

Kathy
                                From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 53 users online. 0 members and 53 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X