[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Frixion Pens

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't matter what type of fabric you use, the dye/ink sticks, permanently. I guess the batiks dye reacted to the frixion dyes differently (and in a bad way for quilters) to other fabric dyes.

Comment

Lois and Lanajoyce,
      What color Frixion pens did you use that left marks on the dark batiks?
      I would like to test on hand-dyes washed with Synthrapol.

Judith

Comment

in my case, it didn't matter what color. I personally have red, green, purple and orange. Haven't tried them on my precious hand-dyes. BUT I do use them on light colored fabric where the line wont show up later.

Everybody stay warm,

Sharon

Comment

I had a black one that I used for marking while piecing, therefore it wouldn't ever been seen. But I left the cap off and it dried up.

Sigh, I need a keeper!

Geneva
          Geneva

Comment

Someone asked what color pen I used on my batik fabric. Since the fabric was a dark brown/black, I used the
            pink so I could see it. (It didn't show up that well, but it worked for what I was doing). Anyway, when I ironed it,
            the pink faded, but it left almost a white color line. I did quilt lines over them, (the thread was variegated and in the same color
            range as the fabric) and therefore those lines don't show up as much. I could still see it a little bit, but not bad.
            The latest development is I washed the quilt yesterday and I really think that maybe the lines have disappeared!
            I can't see them!!! Isn't that good??!!?? I used the quilt soap, Ovus.

Craft/quilt show this weekend and I will be showing this quilt in that, so I'm glad the lines have faded almost completely.
            No judging in this show, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Comment

I just love the way we have used 'stuff' that was originally not intended for quilting. Sometimes that works out brilliantly, like the freezer paper we all love to use. But sometimes we have to be careful and really ask what the consequences will be, like with the Frixon pens.

By the way (very big grin) the 'quilt soap Ovus' is actually a horse shampoo.

Lanajoyce, just don't put your quilt in the freezer or outside in freezing temperatures, because those lines will come back bright and clear, because the Frixion chemicals are still in your quilt, despite you having washed it.
              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Hi Lorchen:
                Thanks for the good info. I guess I just assumed that because I bought the pens at a quilt shop (and more from Nancy's
                Notions) that they were intended to be used on Fabric. In fact, the shop owner, demonstrated the pen for me and told
                me I could use it to mark my fabric and the marks would disappear with either erasing them or using an iron.

I don't think I'll be using the quilt in freezing weather!!!! Ha! Ha! It will be a lap quilt probably draped over the end of
                our sofa in Ohio. I'm here in Florida right now, and it's pretty warm here, so no danger there.

Thanks again for the info!!!
                Lana

Comment

Another tidbit: Did anyone see the latest quilt show with Lynn Wilder? She mentioned using the Frixion pens.

Comment

My suspicision with the batiks is that it has something to do with residual wax left in the cloth from the printing process.

I have red, black, blue and yellow. I think I tried them all with the same results. I think they are wonderful for some work I do. I probably would never use them to mark quilting lines on a quilt but for construction marks in seams I think they are great. I love to use them when I make bags.

Comment

I use them for making bags, too, and they work really well there. I used them on an Alzheimer's quilt and had them come back with the code and no amount of steaming would get the lines out,, but they were subtle so I still sent it in. I did also try soaking the little quilt in water, but didn't try any soap and that didn't help, either. The first time I saw one of these pens years ago was at a quilt retreat where a lady had one. I tried a sample line on a dark fabric (not a batik) and it looked like the pen had bleached a line when I ironed the ink. I still have several of these pens and will use them for marking piecing lines and things like that and am not averse to using them after testing for other purposes. It really depends on what I'm doing and how the quilt will be used. A lot of top professional quilters use these pens, but I'm sure they do some testing first. As with all tools, they are wonderful if you use them with care and knowledge.

Comment

The first time I had ever heard of these pens, was when Sharon Schamber had won a major prize at Houston Festival and she said she marked all of her quilting lines with it. Traced all of it to her white quilt fabric with a black pen! At some point I bought a pen for myself and tried it. The word friction was in my mind, so I tried using friction, by using the rubber end and rubbing, and it did not come off. I was disappointed! So, after reading this thread, I caught the words "iron it." Well, duh! I don't think I remember Sharon saying that. So, I just got my black pen, some white fabric, and tried it! You gals are amazing! It worked like a charm! But, I will always test pen colors and fabric first before any large job!

Dawn
                        In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Hummm have two pens one red and one blue! I'll do some testing for sure.
                          Barb

Comment

I have been very happy with using Crayola Washable Markers on my quilts that I wash. The markers stay on until you wash it, and they come out completely. There is nothing left behind, so you can even stuff your fabric in the freezer and it won't come back. I was told by one of my friends that aids in judging quilts that occasionally even a show quilt will have the marks show up in shipping from Frixion Pens. I think they are great for use where you aren't going to see it even if it isn't removed, but I would never use them to mark the top of a quilt where you are going to see them.

I am looking for a good marker that will show up on black silk or black silk/cotton Radiance and not rub off before I get just a little ways into the quilting. I usually don't wash black silk based quilts, so I can't use Crayola Markers on it even if they showed up, but you can't see them. Also, markers for any color silk that isn't going to be washed would be so wonderful. I tried the Frixion on silk, and it did disappear with ironing, but came back on the piece I put in the freezer for testing.

Has anyone tried Clover white marking pens? Do they have any unintended effects?

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I just can't figure out why anyone would put their quilt in a freezer? Am I missing something? Please let me know why the freezer test is so crucial??!!???

Thanks!

Comment

I use Clover white marking pens all of the time on dark cottons. I've never tried on silk so can't give you any experience there. I love the markers on cotton. The line is very visible and doesn't rub off, but always comes off with ironing. They are a bit disconcerting to use because it takes a couple of seconds for the mark to appear so I'm always thinking the pen isn't working. But it always shows up when I'm patient. I haven't tried the freezer test on these. As always, you should test for yourself on your materials to be certain.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 94 users online. 0 members and 94 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X