[vb_main_1]

Restoring an pld, well used quilt.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring an pld, well used quilt.

A friend has given me a very old and well used quilt to try and restore.
    I know on a valuable quilt it is advised to try and follow original pattern and stitches as much as possible.
    The backing is very ragged, I have started just removing the top from the back. It is all hand stitched. My question is do you think I should take apart block (about 20") and restore it block by block?

Hi Garrethsgran,
    I don't know a thing about your question, and perhaps someone here will know, but a google search for "restoring old quilts" gives a ton of sites with advice. It might be easier to re-create the quilt and just preserve what you have.

Comment

Hi Pat, beautiful white hair! Can you post a picture so we have a better idea? I think Susan's reply was a good one. One of the ladies on here took a well worn quilt and took pieces still in good shape and made them into (I think) wall hangings that could be given to family members so they could have a piece of what was done by their loved one. Well, that is what I got from the story. I am sure someone will come on here and fix my memory and give you more help.

Comment

Thank you both for your responses.
        I have searched on the web, but answers were too general. Good or bad, the person who owns the quilt wants it repaired to use. I'm just reluctant to take apart .
        The batting is pretty worn, so I may have to replace that.

Comment

:shock: Oh, My ! You sure have your work cut out with this one ! Pretty vintage prints and Dresden
          plates can be appliqued to a new base...sure hope you'll send a few pictures as you progress. Have fun !

Comment

Thank you Marilyn, I will try!

Comment

It is a beautiful old quilt. It has been used and loved. I wonder if you can applique pieces in where they are missing, then put put some cotton or 80/20 batting on the back and add a new backing, then quilt it. The whole original quilt would still be there, but it may be too bulky in places. Maybe Margo has some suggestions. I know she quilted some old tops, but I don't remember if they had been previously quilted. Good luck, and let us know how it progresses.

Comment

Sorry, but I don't have any advice to offer. The ten tops I quilted were just tops, and they were all pieced...not appliqued.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Hi Pat. It must have been a lovely bright and sunny quilt at one time but I think your friend has asked too much of you really. This is a total makeover job. From what I can see it seems to be dresden plates with a quilted dresden plate in alternating blocks, is that right? How many of the dresden wedges on each plate are damaged? And how will you replace the damaged ones? I also notice that the border has had some serious damage and there are wedges that will need to be replaced. Has your friend given you spare fabric to replace these or do you have something suitable in your own stash? You say the back is pretty ragged so it looks like there is not a lot to salvage from this quilt. Is there any strength left in the fabric of the dresden wedges? If not then you will be wasting an awful lot of time for nothing. If they are okay then as far as I can see the only thing to do is remove the Dresden plates from the quilt, unpick the border from the main body of the quilt, reapply the dresden plates to a new top and reapply the border fabric having replaced the missing or torn wedges. Then you can add a new batting and backing and quilt it. It might not be a bad idea to use a fusible on the plates to extend their life too. If you do go ahead with it then might I suggest that you do a lot more quilting to give it extra strength. Good luck with it and I hope this helps.

Comment

I agree that a lot of work is required.
                    Any work done to the quilt changes the date of the quilt as far as an appraiser is concerned or so I have been told.

It would be easier to replicate the quilt as this one has been loved to death.

Having said all this, if you are brave enought to tackle it, go for it.

Coast of South Carolina USA
                    Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

You are such wonderful people! All of you advice is being taken into consideration and noted for reference.

Rita in answer to your questions, some of the wedges are in fair shape, most are damaged or some blocks are totally missing. The edges are well worn and the binding is damaged.

I agree that it would be easier to remove the good parts and apply to a fresh backing, however the owner is adamant about me trying to save MOST of the original as possible. As she is not concerned about value, I will try and conform to her wishes.
                      I didn't mention, it is hand pieced. there really is no quilting. It is a very simply made (and I imagine, at one time) beautiful quilt.

I have been trying to find material as close to the original colors and patterns as possible.
                      WHEN I finish this project, I will definitely post.

Thanks immensely for ALL of your help and advice.

Pat

Comment

Would the owner object to a new backing? I'm wondering if you could remove the binding and place the whole quilt on a new stronger backing and then replace or repair the applique through all the layers and requilt it through all the layers. Then rebind it.
                        Not sure if I was very clear here. I mean the back would be new and not the background behind the applique. All the front of the quilt would just lay on top of the new back.
                        Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Basically Karen, that is what I intend to "try" . The top fabric which the plates are sewn on, is in fairly good condition.

Thank you!

Comment

Good luck! I hope it all works out smoothly for you.
                            Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Good luck from me also. I am very much in same opinion as Rita. I hope she will pay you well for this. It's not that funny to do a lot of work on something if it will just tear in another place when you are finished. Sometimes one must accept that things are just worn out.

living in Central Denmark
                              Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 29 users online. 0 members and 29 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X