[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

making a large ironing surface

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the Golden Hands blocking board stuff and I LOVE IT! I covered an IKEA sideboard with it, then covered that with a nice home dec cotton.

You can get the blocking board from Mary Jo's Fabrics in Charlotte NC. Look on their website for ironing aids or somesuch labeling. Mine was 60" long and about 3/8" thick... it's a thick matt of fibers that repels moisture and is dense yet you can pin into it. It's not really a 'board' it's more like a thick dense batting or felted batting... but it's not, it's much better for ironing. It doesn't have any lines on it, and it's white. Not all that expensive either, well worth it.

If I can find my info, I will post the model number, etc. If you call Aubrey are Golden Threads in Atlanta he can help you also.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Here is the info: Aubrey at Golden Hands Industries in Atlanta, GA USA (1-800-990-1392)
      The product is called BLOCKING BOARD PAD

(Michelle, Aubrey is an older gentleman and can be found in a booth at some of the larger quilt shows! He's a real sweetheart!)

Comment

Oops! Thanks Margo, I have edited my post!

Comment

Debbie, like Margo, I could not be happier with this product. I have loved that it can be washed if needed.

Comment

My ironing board is about 24x60. It is made like some of the others, to fit on top of the ironing board. It has pieces of wood screwed on the bottom to keep it from sliding around. The board is made from an old sliding closet door. It is covered with a foam pad and the shiny silver cover that I bought at a quilt show. I did hear that they were not the best covers to use, but I had already bought it. So far it is working great, and love to be able to iron the whole width of fabric and still have room for the iron at the end of the board. I do not use steam in my iron, but sometimes I do use a spray bottle to mist the fabric. I think the heat will dry the moisture before it hits the board, but if not, I will find another board. The closet door is hollow core, so it is lightweight and easy to more. When we cut it to size, we had to reinforce the edges. Seems very sturdy now.

Comment

I have a system like Cathy's but with one layer of batting and two layers of cotton similar to linen. When the top layer of cotton looks too bad I put another one on and throw the dirty one in the washing machine. I use steam and have no problems with it. The door came from a cupboard and is painted so the steam can't penetrate the wood. It's just placed on my ironing board.

living in Central Denmark
              Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 0 members and 32 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X