[vb_main_1]

making a large ironing surface

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

making a large ironing surface

I have a desk that is going to be my multi-purpose work surface in my new studio. The dimensions are 32X44. I am planning to cut a piece of plywood to make a large ironing surface that I will place on this desk when I need a larger ironing surface. My question is: can I cut the plywood to hang over the edge of the desk (like 32x64) or is that just asking for trouble (like will it tip over when I am in the midst of ironing?) Any advice would be appreciated! FYI, I mostly make small art quilts, but once in a while I do work on a larger one.

Hi Debby -

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. My desk top is 24" x 40", but I'm going to make my pressing board 24" x 48" so that I can get a full width of fabric across it when pressing. I think it will be fine because I'll put the feet close to the edges of the desk top and will be careful to put my hand in the middle of the board on those times when I am pressing at the edges. Of course, this is just a plan so far and you are planning on having a bit more length off the edge of your desktop, so I don't know how helpful this is. One thing you could do is get the plywood the size that you are thinking of and set it on the desktop and push down on the edges to see how stable it is. If it feels too unstable to you, you could cut it down to a smaller size.

Comment

Ha! Now that's a brilliant suggestion that I hadn't thought of myself. Thanks, I'll definitely do that!

Comment

I have made two ironing surfaces. One is very large and I place it on top of my ironing board. It's wide enough to handle home dec fabrics. It's bigger than the ironing board and it does not tip. However, it is at least 1/2" thick plywood. It's heavy and I am sure that adds to its stability. I use it with steam and over the years it has warped ever so slightly. It's heavy and cumbersome to move when I want to use the ironing board without it. I've made another smaller one out of 1/4" plywood to use on my cutting table. It warped significantly soon after I made it. I think the thickness and weight of the board you use will contribute to its stability.

I am interested in knowing more about what you are going to choose as padding. I like one layer of a rather firm cotton batting like warm and natural. I have used a medium weight cotton canvas for the cover. I remember reading about coverings that work better for quilters somewhere on this Forum ages ago. I would like to know more about coverings/paddings. I hope other chime in here. If people have use the special covering discussed here in the past I would like to know how they liked it. I would like to know its name too. I think they got it from a distributer in Georgia. Hard to search for it if you don't know what it's called.

Good luck, Nancy and Debbie with your projects.

Comment

I got 3/4" plywood because the thinner ones were already warped at the hardware store, so mine will be very heavy but will hopefully hold up for a long time. I use a lot of steam so am very worried about warping. I'll be using that special padding that I picked up at the time of the earlier discussion since I knew I was going to make this at some point. I'll get the package and post the name later today.

Comment

Thank you Nancy!

Comment

Lois, Margo told us of the covering she uses for her large ironing space. The piece I bought is 30 inches wide by 60 inches long to fit the table I have. I have a piece of 3/4 inch plywood that I use, that is 30" x 50", I tuck under the ends on each end, and when I'm not ironing, my cutting board is on top of it and I can use it as is. I don't have to have an ironing board set up at all. It is wonderful. I'm sure Margo will kick in here with the name of the product (I can't find the invoice this morning!)

I see Nancy will have an answer too!

Comment

My pad is called the "Pinables Blocking Board or Worktable Pad" by Golden Hands Industries, PO Box 720279, Atlanta GA 30358. No web site on the label.

Comment

Great ideas and conversation about all this! I was planning to go with 1/2 inch plywood, but I might go for the 3/4 inch, depending on how much it weighs.

I had only read one tutorial somewhere online, and they suggested using four layers of batting. I wonder if that would be enough to absorb the steam and keep the board from warping.

As for the special material, are you talking about that batting that they sometimes sell to make potholders or baked potato sleeves? I would think that might be kind of pricey for such a large piece?

Anyway, I am very excited to get started on my project! Thanks again.

Comment

The "special material" isn't insulbrite (although a layer of that might protect the plywood from the steam). It's a 3/8" thick dense material that is mildew, moisture, scorch and high temperature resistant. It feels kind of like a thick felt.

Comment

I have found the original post by Margo.

I was so impressed that I bought some but haven't made my board up yet.

Report this postReply with quote Re: replacement cover for my ironing board
                      by Margo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:19 pm

I have made a wonderful ironing surface that I can't imagine doing without! I cut a piece of 3/8" (?) thick plywood 48" x 30" for the base.
                      I cut a piece of Aubrey's BLOCKING BOARD PAD to fit the board and covered the pad with muslin (calico?) then covered the muslin with a piece of cotton duck (canvas?) The muslin and duck are just pulled taut and stapled to the back of the board. When the cotton duck gets soiled (I use a lot of starch) I just pull the staples out and throw it in the wash.

I made it 48" wide so I can iron a full width of fabric without having to shift it. I made it 30" across so I can easily reach the far side to smooth the fabric for ironing. I just lay the board on top of my regular ironing board and can easily lift it off to move it to another location, or to drop the ironing board to a lower level so I can press while sitting at my sewing machine. All the extra space on my ironing surface has really spoiled me!

I really like the BLOCKING BOARD PAD because I can stab pins straight into it to block fabrics or quilt blocks and the pins hold securely while I steam the project into shape. (This is one of the techniques that will be used in the 2013 BOM "Two Of Us".)

The board and fabrics should be easily available everywhere, but you might want to check with Aubrey at Golden Hands Industries in Atlanta, GA USA (1-800-990-1392) for the BLOCKING BOARD PAD-(product number GHpad4). It is advertised as "Hydrofobic". It retains heat but not moisture. Lots better than using batting for a padding because the batting will retain moisture.

"The 100% nylon needle-punched synthetic monofiliment flannel is made especially for laundry and dry cleaning establishments."

The pad is 3/8" thick and comes 30" x 61" for $29.95 USD. It is easily cut with sturdy scissors and if you get this size you will have extra for hot pads or oven mitts or pot holders if you would like, or you can have Aubrey cut it to size for you.

I have no affiliation with Golden Hands Industries, but I have been using my pad for decades and am absolutely satisfied with the product and the service I get from the company. I've made several of these ironing surfaces for others and they are also thrilled with them.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !
                      View My TQS Profile
                      Margo

Private messageE-mail MargoWebsite
                      [/size]

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

what a timely posting, as I'm ready to re-cover my 25" by 30" plywood (3/4") with some new cotton duck. I'm going to put two layers of cotton batting in because I bend a lot of pins when blocking, maybe this will help. I never thought of washing the old cover. :shock:
                        but it's slightly small & may get smaller. I set this on top of my regular ironing board. I also mark directly on it with a Sharpie when I want to block to a specific size.

I have a larger 3/4" plywood board in another room (38" by 41") with a Golden Hands Industries grid as the top. That was a waste of money. The grid is not accurate enough to be useful because the lines are too thick. This size is also so heavy it's difficult to move around. It may be ok if a helper is around.

You might consider putting some of the grid-like spongy shelf-paper under the board if sliding is an issue. If a majority of the board is on the table, it's not going to tip.

This is my favorite pressing accessory.

Comment

Just clarifying to not "dis" anyone...my Golden Hands product was just fabric, not any thickness to speak of.

Comment

Wow! So many good tips in this post!

My husband built an ironing board for me just recently, with things we had "on hand".
                            I wanted to have something that I could move around easily and I could put away - so a top I could remove that wouldn't be too heavy. I had this shelf storage on wheels that I wanted to use for this.

I also wanted a top that would be big enough for the width of the fabric and more. I knew that there could be an area where it could tip or that the top could slide off the shelf. We had a board of "MDF" 3/8 " thick, and 64" X 24" - a real dream compared to my old ironing board (that you can see on the picture). Since this could bend easily, he made a frame around it with wood stud (looking for a better word - a frame made with 1-1/2" x 1" wood). He also put a frame to "surround" the top of the shelf, so the board would not slide.
                            This is what it looks like underneath:

I put 2 layers of cotton batting, with a layer of that silvery fabric (tefflon?). Can't pin anything though... but now, I can iron more that 12 inches at a time! It's not as nice looking as I wanted it (the top), but it works...

Andrée

Comment

Pam, thanks for finding and reposting the original info.

Aubrey's business caters to laundry and dry cleaning establishments and the pad I use claims: It is advertised as "Hydrofobic". It retains heat but not moisture. Lots better than using batting for a padding because the batting will retain moisture.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 79 users online. 0 members and 79 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X