[vb_main_1]

A new challenge.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new challenge.

My neighbor has asked me to make a queen size quilt using her children's baby blankets. Its probably about 5-6 different types of fabric. Most I can work with. But one is a fuzzy Bear blanket and one is, well, not sure what, it is longer fuzzy satiny kind of feeling blanket. The backing of #2 is satin. So my question is should I even attemp to put these in the quilt? And if so how. The other blankets are pretty much stretch t-shirt and cotton. One thought I had was to maybe make the Teddy's into an appliqué on the backing. my design is pretty simple square blocks with cotton sashings. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Can any of the "questionable" fabrics be interfaced?

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

They've been used on babies so will have been laundered loads so must be fairly robust. She'll be wanting it as a keepsake now so I would put them all in and reverse some of the satin backed one so that shows on the front.

What a great idea

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I would also integrate these into the top, I was thinking of cutting hearts or simple shapes and appliqueing randomly in the squares... If that works with the other fabrics...

Comment

i just posted photos of the blankets in my personal photos in my profile. the bear blanket isn't layered and is thick.the fabrics are cotton, minke, t-shirt, terry, light corduroy and fuzzy. just not sure how it would handle the quilting process.

Comment

Sounds like everything should be well stabilized before piecing so the fabrics don't "push" when being quilted. You are a good person. I can't say I'd take this one on, well, maybe using the pieces in some applique. Do you have an embroidery machine? Designs by JuJu has lots of in the hoop applique, really cute stuff for kids and well digitized.

Comment

I would certainly use the fuzzy stuff for appliqué circles or triangles, or similar...

Comment

My suggestion is that you should tie it rather than quilt it, also how about making a rag quilt style of thing? Another idea to consider is to 'starch the snot out of them' before cutting & sewing to make life easier, and then you can wash it out afterwards....

Comment

Thank you all for the advise. I spent yesterday cutting and stabilizing all but the two questionable blankets. I'm using 1/2" seam allowances thinking that should make it easier to piece. I think I'll just bite the bullet and cut up the last two today. Maybe if I get the thinnest batting possible, it will be okay. I do have a longarm machine so I wont have to wrestle this in my domestic.

Comment

It sounds like you may not need batting, perhaps something to help them keep their shape.

Comment

You could use flannel instead of batting, just prewash and heat dry to shrink it.

Comment

Oh, never thought of using flannel. I just saw some extra wide at Joann's fabric.

Comment

Here are a couple photos of the quilt in progress. thank you all for your invaluable advise

Comment

Looking great, love the bunny. :0)

Comment

very nice quilt.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 149 users online. 0 members and 149 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X