[vb_main_1]

Great Quilt but how do I quilt it?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Quilt but how do I quilt it?

I love my newly finished applique quilt, but I am having a problem trying to quilt it. I want the quilting to enhance the design. My first thought is a center grid and straight lines on the border, but that sounds boring and it deserves more than that. I also do not want to only do shadow quilting. Maybe a combination of things? Any ideas would be helpful.

My imediate thought is this. Don't try to out do the applique with the quilting. The applique is the star here not the quilting. The quilting is to enhance, it's not to be the show. Relax! The most important work has already been done. Love. Love. Love, the quilt and your work. Don't try to out do yourself. It would defeat the purpose. It's already done. Just enhance. Don't out do! Great work. Thanks so much for sharing.

Comment

Karen, are you going to quilt it by hand, or by machine?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I guess what you mean by shadow quilting is echoing? I'd outline the applique so it pops. It's the star, after all. I like the grid idea in the center, but honestly, I would echo the quilting in the border. Your quilt is so beautiful as is. Use a matching thread for texture, and voila! It will be finished.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

It's absolutely gorgeous and your applique looks perfect.

Why not outline the shapes as already said and do a small leaf pattern in matching thread so it doesn't compete with the applique (I agree with Lois) but you can enjoy while you gaze at it. (This from someone who knows nothing about quilting)

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

My goodness! What a beautiful quilt top. It IS a challenge isn't it? I would closely outline the appliques, and do some echoing, then something simple, but elegant like diagonal grids in some places and close simple stippling in others, thereby highlighting the appliques. (I'm thinking Diane Gaudynski's Quilt Savvy guidebook http://www.amazon.com/Guide-To-Machi.../dp/1574327968 I have found extremely helpful in my poor quilting efforts). I love your quilt.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

What a beautiful quilt. I totally agree with Lois.

living in Central Denmark
              Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

I remember when you posted pictures of this quilt as you were doing it. It turned out beautifully. I'm no expert at giving advice so I won't but when I look at this quilt top, I don't want to be distracted by too much quilting because the applique' work is so gorgeous to look at. Congratulations on finishing it.

Comment

Karen, your quilt is so beautiful and I know that I would feel the same way as you do right now. If you are going to do it by hand then definitely outlining all the applique is the first step and that's what I would do. Beyond that I haven't got a clue. If you are doing it by machine then outlining all the applique is still a good idea after which even micro stippling would make the applique pop even more. But what would I know? Good luck.

Comment

Thanks to all of you! I have some more confidence with my first thoughts and although I am still going to be nervous when I start, I will take all of your advise to heart and post again when it is done.

Comment

I saw this blog and thought of you. If you scroll down and look at the quilting it shows how if you use self colour quilting and any or lots of patterns it doesn't detract from the wonderful applique. What do you think.

Oh to be able to quilt to that standard 8)

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Wendy, the blog you just provided has some FANTASTIC quilting! I'd be happy with 1/4 of her skill. Thanks for posting it. Really inspiring.

Comment

Wendy, That quilting is beautiful.

Comment

Lovely quilt, beautiful quilting. Thanks Wendy.

Comment

Personally I think the background should be closely quilted and the applique left alone to make the applique really pop. The background could be a small grid or squiggles.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 74 users online. 0 members and 74 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X