No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

If you were going to mark a whole cloth...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for that information. I'm even more impressed now

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Originally posted by quilting00
      Ooohhh ALL are GREAT suggestions! I've never entered a big show. . .guess I'd better start figuring out how to do it! As for your question Norma about the designs on/in the lined area are done FM too. Some people think it is a decorative stitch on the machine which is a wonderful compliment because it isn't!!!
      Terry, Here's the link for Houston entry rules and form: http://www.quilts.org/downloads/2012...E_fillable.pdf

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

On the Frixon pen,I am in love with this pen. if you wash it, it will come out. I use it to mark on cottons, blends and muslins. When I first bought it, I was scared of it. But I ironed and it came out. And then i remembered about the cold. So I put it in the freezer and it did come back. Extreme yes I know but I wanted to be sure. So I washed it and it came out. Now I was like oh this is good if I do it today and then iron it. But what about 3 months, 6 months. etc... Cause we all know we dont finish everything when we should. All those UFO's hanging around. So I left it for 3 months and ironed it and it came out beautifully. I put it in the freezer and it came back but not as much. Washed and dried it and it was gone. I did the same for the 6 months one. I realize this sounds a little crazy. But the key here is, you have spent gads of money , worked endless hours. And poured your heart into this project. You dont want markings to come and plaque you. Also I make Breavement quilts. I dont wash them. So if I need to mark them. I better make dang sure it comes out and doesnt come back.

Comment

Originally posted by MargaritaW
          If using "Frixion" pens please test on your fabric first, On some fabrics (batiks, etc) they seem to bleach out where you marked. So far I have been happy with the black one, which I use to mark sewing lines for hand piecing.

Good luck

Margarita in Auburn CA

Personally, I would never use the "Frixion" pens on a quilt project. I tested some (all 4 colors) and the marks did iron away, but after washing (in the washer with regular laundry) I put the samples into the freezer to see how they react to cold temperatures and all of the marks CAME BACK! It might not be a problem if your quilt doesn't leave south Florida, but if the marks come back it stands to reason that the chemicals are not easily removed and who knows what will happen in several years!

Save them for the grandchildren to send secret notes to each other. They need to put them in the freezer to read the messages!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by Margo

Save them for the grandchildren to send secret notes to each other. They need to put them in the freezer to read the messages!
            Now that is a great idea! secret messages in your quilts that only appear in the cold.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP

Now that is a great idea! secret messages in your quilts that only appear in the cold.
              I'm a little late responding to this, but this sounds like a great technique for use in a new spy novel. :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Sewdreamy
                Originally posted by PosyP

I'm a little late responding to this, but this sounds like a great technique for use in a new spy novel. :lol: :lol:
                Be sure and let us know if it ever gets to print! 8)

Comment

I just took a class at MQX with Karen McTavish and we used the fine point Mark B Gone blue pens. You need a bunch for a larger whole cloth. We also used the clover eraser pens, but they didn't go very far. I bought a "pen" that you fill with starch for applique and think it would be perfect filled with water for an eraser pen. You would have to wait for the fabric to dry to remark with blue pen but lots cheaper and it would last awhile.
                  One comment about marking...at the beginning take special care to get your registration marks perfectly measured and equal. A tiny 1/8 inch error close to the center translates to inches off at the edge. (Voice of experience).

Have fun,
                  Susan

Comment

Susan, I ended up marking the quilt in question with Crayola washable markers. They worked like a charm. I made my "Perspective in Threads" quilt with this method and have plans for several more similar quilts. I will use Crayola for those too. I like it better than the blue markers.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 42 users online. 0 members and 42 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X