No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

If you were going to mark a whole cloth...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will do tests for sure, but more than likely I will get to use them because I seldom use anything other than washed 100% cotton. I know they worked well on at least one project I've done. Lois

Comment

But what do you use if the fabric is dark? The crayola markers won't work on that will they?

Comment

Rita, I'd probably run another test, but for the most part you can see them, I think. If not, I would probably choose the Fons and Porter mechanical white pencil. It was my runner up, but it does tend to rub off as you work, just not as badly as some of the other pencils I had to test. I didn't test everything though. Just what I had laying around. You may find something better.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Hi Rita -

Clover also makes a white marker that is water soluable. It works well on dark fabrics. The only thing I don't like about it is that it takes a few seconds after you draw for the line to appear. Being an impatient type-A individual, I find that very disconcerting and often keep drawing back and forth over the line until I remember that it will appear on its own! I've never had trouble getting this out of a quilt nor does it rub off while you're working. If you are working on a large project and need to erase a line and redraw it, Clover also has eraser pens that work with the white or blue water-soluable markers and get the marks out so they don't come back like they do sometimes with a light use of water. That combination makes marking a big, detailed wholecloth easier. Certainly something to try.

Nancy

Comment

Rita,
            I used the water soluable/heat soluable Clover marker that Nancy describes above on my black whole cloth quilt. It stayed on fairly well although by the end of my 428 hours of quilting, some of the lines were too faint to see. In those cases, I used a chalk marker. I really like that pencil and find it doesn't take that long for the mark to appear. I liked the results and use this type of pen often. I try to buy it on sale though as marking the whole cloth used the whole pen!

Comment

Terry,
              I'm blown away...your work is gorgeous!!

Comment

Terry, That quilt is one to "knock your socks off". I want to see it up close and personal. Also hope all the aches and pains from doing it are gone! Lois

Comment

Thanks for the advice everybody. I will have a look for the Clover white pen.

Terry that quilt gets even more amazing every time I see it. Was that all FMQ? Are you entering it in competitions?

Comment

Thanks Roseanne, Lois and Rita for your kind comments about my whole cloth. I still haven't made a slideshow of it yet. . .maybe after this week, I'll be able to get to it. I did have it professionally photographed and I also am in the process of setting up an appointment with an appraiser because I do plan to enter it in different shows. Just don't know which ones. . .any suggestions? Yes, it is totally FM quilted.
                    Here's a photo of how tiny some of the quilting is:

Comment

The Clover white marking pen is a hit. I marks well on all colors and it goes away when you want it to. Besides that I love the Sew Line chalk pencils. I use the green and white, not so often the red.

Terry your quilt is fantastic. I would love to see more detailed photos. Is the quilting in the middle, the sort of line quilting done with FMQ too? To me it looks like decorative stitching from the machine, but I might be wrong. Impressing no matter what.

living in Central Denmark
                      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Terry your quilt is fantastic and such beautiful work.

Taree NSW - Australia
                        My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Hi Terry -

My show suggestions would be the Long Beach show in July, the Rocky Mountain Quilt Festival in August and/or the Denver Mancuso show next May. That way I could get to see it in person!

Nancy

Comment

Terry, I think you should send it to the AQS Show in Lancaster next March. Maybe that would be after its won a few prizes and you could come with it. That way I'd get to see both you and the quilt. I am just full of good ideas. Lois

Comment

Terry, Your quilt is stunning! Why not enter it in Houston?

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Ooohhh ALL are GREAT suggestions! I've never entered a big show. . .guess I'd better start figuring out how to do it! As for your question Norma about the designs on/in the lined area are done FM too. Some people think it is a decorative stitch on the machine which is a wonderful compliment because it isn't!!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 101 users online. 0 members and 101 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X