[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Help needed for "quilt as desired"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

And if you use washable/white-board markers, you can re-use the vinyl over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
      I don't understand??? 'Pieced' is when two or more pieces of fabric have been sewn together, and 'quilted' is what you do after the piecing and layering, in order to keep the three layers of of a quilt together. What's the problem?
      Yes. Of course. The problem is that an Internet search using the word "quilted/quilting" gives examples of piecing. Just like how quilting classes are usually about how to piece together a quilt top with very little insight into actual quilting.

I'm trying to find different examples of ways to quilt blocks in order to get an idea of effects as well as inspiration. It's difficult coming up with productive search terms. Frustratingly, "quilting" isn't one of them.

Since Spring Break is my time to really concentrate on finishing this quilt, I need to come up with interesting ideas in the meantime.

Comment

Now I understand. Apologies for being a little dense. Sometimes I don't quite get it. Could have something to do with English not being my native language.

I remember a book by Barbara Chainey. I'm sure it's no longer in print, but you could search for it second-hand at Amazon, for example. She does what you are asking about, I think. Maybe one of the UK members can help with the exact title. There are pages and pages in this book of different ideas about how to quilt standard size blocks. The book is a superb resource.
        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by dollum
          Originally posted by Lorchen
          I don't understand??? 'Pieced' is when two or more pieces of fabric have been sewn together, and 'quilted' is what you do after the piecing and layering, in order to keep the three layers of of a quilt together. What's the problem?
          Yes. Of course. The problem is that an Internet search using the word "quilted/quilting" gives examples of piecing. Just like how quilting classes are usually about how to piece together a quilt top with very little insight into actual quilting.

I'm trying to find different examples of ways to quilt blocks in order to get an idea of effects as well as inspiration. It's difficult coming up with productive search terms. Frustratingly, "quilting" isn't one of them.

Since Spring Break is my time to really concentrate on finishing this quilt, I need to come up with interesting ideas in the meantime.
          Try putting in "The Stencil Company". I just did and it gives all kinds of stencils. They could give you lots of ideas for what to quilt in different sections of your quilt.

Comment

The book that Lorchan is refering to could be 'The Essential Quilter, Tradition, Techniques, Design, Patterns and Projects' by Barbara Chainey, pub by David & Charles. She also brought out a book which I think is called 'Quilt It'

You could try googling 'Wholecloth quilting'

Sorry it is so pale, in a bit of a hurry. But this shows what you could do with just using a quarter circle template with the radius taken from the length of the basic rectangle size of the block ( the rectangles are 19.5" x 18" because I wanted a 6' x 6'6" top and I just divided it in fours). But once you have 1 template shape,either play with it on it's own or make a second one (or 2)to use the same shape but smaller - think dinner plate, tea plate and cup/mug OR Diameter of my block and half the diameter of my block, if using circles.

Comment

The book that Lorchan is refering to could be 'The Essential Quilter, Tradition, Techniques, Design, Patterns and Projects' by Barbara Chainey, pub by David & Charles
              Lorchan and Rosemary...if that is the book, I just ordered a used one from Amazon for less money then a cup of coffee at Starbucks. But then, a lot of things are less then a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by makesgeese
                The book that Lorchan is refering to could be 'The Essential Quilter, Tradition, Techniques, Design, Patterns and Projects' by Barbara Chainey, pub by David & Charles
                Lorchan and Rosemary...if that is the book, I just ordered a used one from Amazon for less money then a cup of coffee at Starbucks. But then, a lot of things are less then a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Barbara
                You will enjoy it, it is truely about QUILTING!, piecing barely gets a look in as it is being the background to the main event!

Comment

Barbara, you'll love the book of your namesake. She is an absolute Goddess when it comes to quilting, especially hand quilting. She is also an superb teacher and a really nice person, and her collection of antique quilts makes your jaw drop. Let us know what you think about the book when you get it.

By the way, I looove a Starbucks coffee, but only have access to it during Festival of Quilts in August every year. So it's a real treat for me.

Comment

Lorchan and Rosemary...thanks for the recommendation. I am looking forward to sitting down with the book. It should be here any day now and I'll let you know what my favorite bit information from the book is.

Lorchan, I have a 20 mile drive to work everyday and pass 5 Starbucks along the way...I could just keep driving east and bring you a cup. It might be a little cold by the time I gave it to you...but it is the thought that counts. Right?

Barbara

Comment

5 Starbucks on the way to work..... oh my.... I would be so high when arriving in school that I'd float along the corridors all day.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 82 users online. 0 members and 82 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X