[vb_main_1]

Help needed for "quilt as desired"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed for "quilt as desired"

Well, it's finally time to quilt the sampler that has been 10 years in the making -- yay! I'm coming to you to learn of resources for ways to go about quilting these blocks.

The quilt is a mixture of traditional and contemporary as well as things that I've learned or loved along the way. Panels and sashing have been SITD and while I have ideas for the more modern blocks, am at a loss for fun or interesting things to do with the more traditional blocks.

I have done so much research in books, magazines, and on the Internet but almost everything is about piecing rather than quilting. It is difficult to find actual quilted blocks to study.

I am using a domestic machine and love love LOVE free motion techniques but also will do handwork. I can hardly wait to for your suggestions. Thanks!

Look at Leah Day's suggestions here: http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

or find inspiration here: http://www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/...challenge.html

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Well, you have certainly asked a very good question! I often spend a long time considering how to quilt my quilts. It's not an easy decision sometimes. If you have a sampler, I think you have to ask yourself one important question: are you going to try to unify your blocks somewhat by quilting, or do you want each block to stand alone? If your goal is to unify, then you would want to have more unobtrusive, backgroundy type quilting over at least some of the quilt. Otherwise, you might want to choose designs for each block that harmonize with that block. You can audition the designs by using a dry erase marker over a big piece of plastic laid on top of the quilt. (I put a wide border of blue painters' tape at the edges and write "FRONT" on the side I will be writing on. Also, you could take a photo, print it out on plain paper, and draw designs on that.

Keep us posted!
      Kathy

Comment

What are the traditional blocks you put in your sampler? You can go to webshots.com and put in the name as if it were a quilt, not just a block. EG-log cabin. A lot of photos will probably come up and you should be able to see the quilting in a lot of them.
        Good luck and can't wait to see pictures of your quilt!!

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I strongly advice that the density of quilting is similar in all blocks, even if the style/patterns are very different. If the density of your quilting varies a lot, you easily get a quilt that won't be flat, whatever you do afterwards to force it into submission.
          From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Hi Norma,

I love Leah (she's a wonderful resource and teacher) and have already collected a number of motifs to try though was at a loss about how to incorporate them. I'm now excited to check out the free motion quilt challenge site.

THANK YOU!

Originally posted by Zarah
            Look at Leah Day's suggestions here: http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

or find inspiration here: http://www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/...challenge.html

Comment

If you pay attention to what the others in this thread suggested you're good to go. Glad that you liked my links

living in Central Denmark
              Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. Now ... off to do your recommended research!

Comment

Rant of the day: I'm so frustrated by how "pieced" is synonymous with "quilted."

Comment

I don't understand??? 'Pieced' is when two or more pieces of fabric have been sewn together, and 'quilted' is what you do after the piecing and layering, in order to keep the three layers of of a quilt together. What's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                      I don't understand??? 'Pieced' is when two or more pieces of fabric have been sewn together, and 'quilted' is what you do after the piecing and layering, in order to keep the three layers of of a quilt together. What's the problem?
                      Probably because most people talk about quilts and actually mean pieced quilts, totally not understanding that you can have a quilt that has not been pieced, or a pieced coverlet that has not been quilted, they think the terms are interchangable, when, as you & I know, they are not.

My other personal bug-bear is when needlepoint/canvas work embroidery is refered to as tapestry - a woven and totally different technique, but can give a similar effect. It doesn't help that the manufacturers call the needles required to do canvas work 'Tapestry needles'! :roll: :evil:

Comment

OK, Rosemary (putting tongue firmly into cheek), we all make blankets, right?! :wink:

Seriously though - How can we help?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                          OK, Rosemary (putting tongue firmly into cheek), we all make blankets, right?! :wink:

Seriously though - How can we help?
                          Simply by learning the differences between various techniques and being accurate when naming them. I mean, what would you think of someone who said that Ricky made nice paintings or tapestrys?

For 'tapestry' which is made on a loom, if you go anywhere near it with a needle, it is either not tapestry, or it is being repaired because it is that old i.e. the tapestries at Bleniheim Palace.

(by the way my quilts so far are blankets as well, because that is what I am using for the wadding :wink: )

Comment

Just one quick suggestion for "Quilt As Desired". Go to JoAnn's and get a 1/2 yard of the lightest weight clear vinyl. When you find some quilt patterns you want to try, or after you practice on samples, make an overlay. Duplicate what you think you would like with a marker on a square of the vinyl. Then lay the overlay on top of your quilt top to see if you are happy with it. This little step can really help "practice" on the real deal before a thread ever touches it. Sometimes I will see where the scale of the motif needs to be altered or maybe done away with all together even when I'm free motion quilting. Congrats by the way on finishing the top!!

Comment

One thing I read recently is to put blue painter's tape around the edges of your vinyl. That way you won't accidentally draw on the quilt.

Nancy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 46 users online. 0 members and 46 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X