[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Design Wall

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

i stapled 80/20 bedding on the wall (i live in rented home, and it doesnt leave too much marks on the wall).
    the only thing is that i need to protect it from my cats, some times they love to sharp their nails on it, but i spray on it a spray that keeps them off.

Comment

I did the same. I used a staple gun to attach the Warm and Natural batting up along the top of the wall. It was wonderful and quite large--floor to ceiling (8 ft) and wider than that. I was able to hang several WIPs at a time. This summer I moved so I removed it and stood there, inspecting where it had hung, the holes were nearly invisible so I didn't take the time to spackle and paint as I did with all the nail holes from hanging quilts and pictures. Now I have to see if my staple gun will work on the walls here since they are a cinder block and not dry wall. So far I am back to a "design floor" with one set of blocks are spread out on the floor.

Comment

I don't have enough space to have a proper design wall but I did buy thermal curtain lining which has cotton on one side and something fleecy on the other. I just stapled it to the wall with a staple gun. Eleanor Burns has a tutorial on this on the quilt in a day website. She uses the fabric they put on the inside roof of cars (can't think of the name of it) which would be good because it would be easier to get loose threads off with one of those sticky roller thingys (can't think of the name of those either :roll: ) She uses a spray glue to hold it in place but I reckon you could just use a staple gun if you didn't want to use the glue. The design wall tutorial begins at about 6.20mins.

Happy quilting.

Here's the link -
        http://vimeo.com/15572417

Comment

I haven't reinstalled it yet, but before I redid the studio I had nailed a flannel sheet to the wall. It worked great unless the window was open and it was windy. Looking into getting ridgid insulation to use behind the sheet. (sometimes you just need to pin )

Comment

Originally posted by bar7700
            Lois, you need another person to help you and don't use duct tape. For some reason it doesn't stick well. My first design wall I did by myself and used duct tape. It did not go well. I decided to re-do it. My sister pulled the flannel tight and I taped it down with clear packing tape. Success! I found that a thin flannel was easy to pull tight. It had a lot of stretch to it. I use a masking tape roller to clean off threads.

Good luck!
            Okay, so I'm wondering why my duct tape has worked like a charm, twice! I did not use the original "silver" kind, but the white roll. Sticks very well to my fleece and the tyvek coating of the foam core board. My roll is about 2" wide. So, I am puzzled when people say duct tape doesn't work! :?:

Dawn
            In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Duct tape worked fine for me too! I'm thinking that it must have something to do with the coatings on the different types of foam core?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Dawn, I was thinking the same thing. It worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                  Duct tape worked fine for me too! I'm thinking that it must have something to do with the coatings on the different types of foam core?
                  Or maybe humidity :?: :?: :?:
                  I've had good luck using a large piece of flannel as my design wall. It is actually the flannel from Cheryl's Design Wall. I could never get the frame to stay together :evil: so I decided to just hang the darned flannel on the wall. :roll: I use the 3M removable adhesive hooks on the wall and the big black office clips clipped to the flannel with the little metal handles of the clips hanging from the hooks on the wall. So far so good! When it is really hot here in Texas (most of the time) and I have the ceiling fan on, it blows the blocks off the flannel :shock: so I just run some straight pins through the corners of the blocks. Whatever works, right :?: :P

Comment

Margo you have a good point. It could be the coating. I don't remember what brand I bought. Too many years ago. I used the silver duct tape. Fought the edges not staying stuck..... Since this subject has come up I did some thinking and wonder if it was because the edges of the foam board had been cut. So the coating wasn't there on the edges. I remember when I moved the wall all these little styro foam pieces were all over the floor. Things that make you go, hmmmm!

Comment

Ok, so I have to ask a dumb question. What's the theory about using white for a design wall? Long before I knew what others did, I covered my design wall in black flannel. Contrary, huh?
                      I struggle with color anyway~which isn't the fault of my black design wall, but may be why I did something so diametrically opposite. I had to laugh at myself when I noticed the white walls everyone else uses.

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

Charae, mine is cream. I would find a solid white space quite intimidating. I want a fairly neutral colour (black would be fine for me), as long as it is not white. I have no idea why white seems to be so popular. But then I'm also not very keen on white walls because I think they are 'cold'. Ah well, as long as we all get what we are happy with.....
                        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Charae, mine is sage green and I wouldn't ordinarily admit it because I know experts would say I can't possibly see the true colors of the fabrics without a neutral background. My reasoning is this: 1) like Lorchen I don't care for white walls, either 2) the design area takes up almost one whole wall and isn't always covered by quilt fabric so I would have to look at a stark white space that would be very out of place in my home 3) I'm never going to see the finished quilt in a neutral/white environment either because my whole house is intentionally full of color and texture. So I say use whatever makes you happy!

Comment

I was in the store to price flannel or batting for my design wall and found a Fons & Porter design wall. It cost $20 which is what the insulation board alone was going to cost so I decided to try it. It is flannel on one side and vinyl on the other side like an outdoor table cloth and has a 2" grid that subtely shows through on the flannel side. It has ringed eyelets for hanging. I put it up with removable stick up hooks in case I didn't like it. So far it works well for me. My projects stick to it well without pins and its easy to put up and take down so its also portable. It's 60X72.

Comment

My design wall is brown! First one was white. Read online by a quilting expert that brown was the best color for your design wall. I tried it and the difference was amazing. The colors on my quilt tops stood out so much better.

Comment

Mine is cream.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 51 users online. 0 members and 51 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X