[vb_main_1]

Design Wall

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Wall

I have built my design wall. I am using foam board insulation sheets 4'x8'. I have them cut so that they fit snuggly between baseboard and ceiling and corner to doorframe with holes cut out for receptacles, light switches and thermostat. They fit snuggly and actually stay in place because the fit is good. Trial fit is good. Next step is wrapping them with flannel. I found exceptionally good quality cotton flannel that feels almost as thick as felt. It is 54" wide. I had planned to wrap each section of foam board with the flannel using duct tape. I would like to avoid using aerosol adhesive because I don't like it in the air, I don't like the over spray and I am not sure I would like it remaining in that flannel forever. However, I am afraid I won't be able to get the flannel pulled tight enough so that it's really smooth and I am afraid it will sag if I don't use the spray adhesive. Any suggestions? I am really wanting to get done with this. I want to sew! I want to get my HST Exchange quilt on the wall and stare at it for a while so I can decide how to quilt it. I want to be done with this wall very soon! Thanks for any suggestions. Lois

Hmm. . do you suppose you could staple the flannel to the back of the foam core?

Comment

When I did my design wall, I tried duct tape and it didn't stick too well to the foam. Then I tried staples but they weren't long enough. I finally used pins. A lot of pins. I used batting instead of flannel and I stuck the pins right through the batting and into the foam on an angle to hold it up. I pinned all along the top and side edges and it has held up great! Good luck!

Comment

Since a hot glue gun might not work well on the insulation, what about using a cold glue gun. I don't have one myself, but I do know they exist...maybe from a Michael's or Hobby Lobby store or even a Home Depot or Lowe's type store.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."...quote courtesy of Dr. Seuss

Comment

I also use Warm and Natural on foam held with T-pins....allows for tightening and for removal to clean.

Comment

I used fleece on mine. The first time I pulled it so tightly that my foam board bowed a little. The next time (when I moved) I wrapped it looser. It now sags. So, there is a happy medium, and needs to be paid attention to. Also, like Bridget, I put in lots of pins. But then, I wanted my pins back, so I just duct taped it. My duct tape worked just fine. Stuck like a charm!

Dawn,
            In beautiful (and freezing!) Northwest Montana

Comment

I used pins on mine. Not my favorite quilting pins, but those pins that well meaning family members and non-quilting friends like to gift you with.

Comment

Greg and I wrapped my flannel (at least that's what I think I used) around to the back and used his staple gun to staple it to the foam board. I love my design wall!

Comment

I used foam core (purchased at 50% off), a $1 thrift store white flannel bed sheet, and safety pins in the corners across the back to hold the sheet taut over the foam core. It's worked well for me for several years now.

Comment

My design board is made the same as yours; I used clear packing tape to hold the flannel. It's been up for several years with no problems.

Comment

Lois, my design wall has a frame on the back made of 1 x 2's screwed together. I screwed the board (homosote?) from the home improvement store to that. Then put batting on the front, and flannel, then stapled the flannel to the 1 x 2's. I put the frame on to keep everything from sagging. It was a lot of work, and I had help with it. I guess living in earthquake country I think about things buckling so that's why I did the frame. Kathy

Comment

I'm so glad this topic came up. I'm going to make a design wall, perhaps 2, within the next few weeks. Seems like lots of great ideas. I particularly like the ideas of framing the back with 1x2s and using a staple gun. I have never had a place for a design wall before, but my brilliant sons and daughter in law figured out two places in the reorganization.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Here are two ideas that work for me. Cheap floor-length curtains from Ikea. I pin anything to them. The room is small, but South-facing and has windows on three sides. I bet I have more 'design wall space' than most.

The other picture shows an inexpensive screen that can be moved around easily. Again, pinning things to it is easy.

From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Very cleaver, Lorchen. Your quilts look like stained glass with the light shinning through!. Lois

Comment

Lois, you need another person to help you and don't use duct tape. For some reason it doesn't stick well. My first design wall I did by myself and used duct tape. It did not go well. I decided to re-do it. My sister pulled the flannel tight and I taped it down with clear packing tape. Success! I found that a thin flannel was easy to pull tight. It had a lot of stretch to it. I use a masking tape roller to clean off threads.

Good luck!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 41 users online. 0 members and 41 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X