[vb_main_1]

Sampler Quilts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sampler Quilts

Have any of you ever took a whole bunch of different blocks you've made of all different colors, shapes and sizes and made a sampler quilt out of them? I'm thinking of making one out of a bunch of blocks I have.....should they all be tied together with one particular fabric? If anyone has done this and can share a photo, it might help me...TIA

Patsy

I'm working on one right now! The blocks are all wonderful friendship gifts from special friends and I'm using extra green fabrics that were sent with the blocks to set them all together. It's a real puzzle, but I'm enjoying the challenge. This is what I have so far:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Wow that is awesome! That really helps me alot...thank you so much....now to get the blocks out and on my design board.

Comment

Hi Patsy, Sharyn Craig has a great book about basically doing that. I think it's called Setting Solutions.
        Putting unifying frames around blocks can really make the blocks look like they belong together, as well as reconcile different sizes.
        Pieced sashing is another idea. Kathy

Comment

Here's a link to the Amazon site for the book Kathy mentioned. If you scroll down through the page there are several different books listed with the same theme:

http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Soluti...490&sr=8-1

Comment

Thanks much for all your help and suggestions.....after I pulled the box of squares out and laid them on the bed, almost all of them were 12 1/2 inch squares....4 were 14 inch and then there were just a few 9 inch ones....so.... I figured 10 more 12 1/2" squares and I could do the whole quilt like a normal sampler, with sashing and corner blocks and so that is what I am doing now, making 10 more squares.... shouldn't take long..... don't need this quilt until April so I have lots of time to play....thanks again ladies....I will keep that in mind for the rest of the squares when I do decide to make something out of them! Appreciate your help!
            Patsy

Comment

Patsy, in addition to "Setting Solutions", Sharyn Craig wrote "Great Sets" and "Quilt Challenge--'what if' ideas for color and design" The last book she wrote with Pamela Mostek. "Great Sets" may be out of print; but you may be able to find a used copy online. Several years ago, I took one of her classes on how to set blocks of varying sizes and designs into a pleasing top. That class empowered me to feel like I could finish any project.

Below are some examples:
              I won the center blocks; I decided on the start setting and then played with the rest of the blocks.

You can check the process here:
              http://smilebox.com/playEmail/4d6a49...ilebox.com</a>
              This project was two different types of BOMs and none of the blocks measured the same size. I wanted to make a happy quilt. I have finished the quilt, just haven't taken a photo of it finished:

This is the current project I'm finishing. I made the "crumb" blocks from leftover pieces I would have thrown away from other projects. The challenge was to make the blocks into a red and black top. I'm currently working on the binding:

Have fun with your project and please post photos of what you decided to do!

Comment

Terry, I love what you've done with those blocks. It's inspiring to see the translation from Sharyn Craig's book to real life. I like them all, especially like the little river of star blocks running through the second quiilt. What a fabulous idea!
                Kathy

Comment

Those are all beautiful....you are very talented!

Comment

I had an eclectic variety of blocks from when I was young and even ones my great-grandmother made years ago. I puzzled them together much like Margo. I did place them together with pieced sashing and what drew them together were the borders. I am sorry I don't do pictures. Have fun making your quilt!

Comment

Well, I got the 6 rows made and laid out on the bed...it will be Monday before I can sew the rows together and put the final borders on it... big day tomorrow for us Packer fans!

Anyway, this is how it looks.... so far.. I put their engagement picture on one square and embroidered the date of their wedding on a signature block. I like it!

Comment

Hey Patsy, I like the way you have put your sampler together. The black sashing and white cornerstones
                        unify the blocks. Anything else would have been pretty busy. Kathy

Comment

Patsy, I agree with Kathy. Great choices to unify those blocks. What a special quilt you have made!

Comment

Ooh Margo, i love what you doing with your friendship quilt!

Comment

Margo just love it and so interesting

Taree NSW - Australia
                              My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 69 users online. 0 members and 69 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X