[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

MACHINE QUILTING ON BRIGHT COLORS ????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do lots of bright colored quilts with dark (usually black) backgrounds. On the colored fabric I quilt in black (most times, there are exceptions) and on the black I quilt with a rainbow colored varigated thread.

Comment

The have found that I can find 2 colors with one being visible on some of the quilt and the other on the rest. For example on a twisted log-cabin with a black background, I used gray and black - gray for the background and black for the colored pieces.

The thread the machine with both colors through one needle.
      I use 100 YLI silk thread for quilting and the two threads are not too thick.

good luck
      AZ quilter

Comment

The kalidoscope I made has REALLY bright colors. I used a light green thread
        and stitched it in the ditch.
        quiltbug

Comment

Currently, I am trying to decide on what thread and batting to use for my 2009 TQS BOM quilt which will be professionally machine quilted. Most of the quilt photos in the gallery are not closeup enough to see he quilting. So, I've been looking at lots of these finished quilts on "Show & Tell" to see which ones show the most dimension and emphasize the quilting best. When I see a quilt that I like, I mark it as a favorite and contact the member to get thread and batting information.

I don't know whether "Show & Tell" is available to basic TQS members or to star members only.

It sure would be nice if there was a reminder to request that the quilters list this information (thread & batting) when they post the photos of their finished quilts. Also, I'd like to see a categories for quilting closeup photos and photos of quilt backs, but I digress.

Comment

I used a tan thread. I seemed to have worked. Aunt Jane

Comment

And, of course, you're always allowed to change colors as you go from one section of the quilt to another....

Comment

Originally posted by NancyinSTL
                Currently, I am trying to decide on what thread and batting to use for my 2009 TQS BOM quilt which will be professionally machine quilted. Most of the quilt photos in the gallery are not closeup enough to see he quilting. So, I've been looking at lots of these finished quilts on "Show & Tell" to see which ones show the most dimension and emphasize the quilting best. When I see a quilt that I like, I mark it as a favorite and contact the member to get thread and batting information.

I don't know whether "Show & Tell" is available to basic TQS members or to star members only.

It sure would be nice if there was a reminder to request that the quilters list this information (thread & batting) when they post the photos of their finished quilts. Also, I'd like to see a categories for quilting closeup photos and photos of quilt backs, but I digress.

We need to direct this at the forum / board Gods! Then maybe we will get this feature.

Comment

We have 'forum Gods'?!!!

You shouldn't have said that, Anna. Now I keep seeing Bob sitting on a cloud, a laurel wreath on his head, dressed only in a white loin cloth and gladiator-style sandals, typing away on his heavenly laptop........
                  From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Oh Lorchen, behave! :lol:

Back to the plot. I often find that purple reads as a solid and works well with lots of brights.

From Dorset, England

Comment

I agree that KT variegated is the way to go. I recently did a bright quilt and decided it needed some extra glitz, so I used 2 threads going through the needle. One was KT variegated (which I changed depending on whether I was traveling over light or dark areas) and the other was metallic, which stayed consistent throughout the quilt. It seemed to me that in running the 2 threads, I had much less breakage with the metallic. I was very pleased with the result, and it just got 'best of county' at the fair!

From Dorset, England

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                        We have 'forum Gods'?!!!

You shouldn't have said that, Anna. Now I keep seeing Bob sitting on a cloud, a laurel wreath on his head, dressed only in a white loin cloth and gladiator-style sandals, typing away on his heavenly laptop........
                        Hmmmm....suddenly I need to SEE GuruBob!! In person!! :lol:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Whatever you decide to do, please go to Superior Threads web site. Great info there and I love their thread.

PatTheQuilter

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 25 users online. 0 members and 25 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X