[vb_main_1]

MACHINE QUILTING ON BRIGHT COLORS ????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

MACHINE QUILTING ON BRIGHT COLORS ????

OKAY KK is ready for quilting... does anyone have an idea of what color of thread I can use on my BRIGHT - multi color fabrics. I do not like invisible thread... I am considering metallic since it is a wall hanging but NOT SURE since there are no mettallic fabric in this quilt.

Suggestions ARE APPRECIATED, since I have not made a quilt like this before... I am not sure what I should use. I figure those of you who long arm or experienced domestic machine quilters might have some ideas.

I am taking scraps of fabric and practicing machine quilting on this to get an idea of what would look good on this. I will make practice batts to test some ideas. I have very few threads to choose from because I am just learning to machine quilt and I am not sure what will look good.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Lady Rags

Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired. 
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Anna, just remember that if you decide to use colored thread that contrasts with your fabric, every little bobble will show up, and with your light values right next to your dark values it's going to be impossible to use one thread that will blend with both! For that pretty blue background, I would definitely use a tone on tone blue variegated. Maybe King Tut Mirage?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Bottom Line in your bobbin works really well as well (that sounded weird). I think both King Tut and Bottom Line are from Superior Threads.

Comment

THANKS but right now I can get my head wrapped around anything more than WHAT color should I use. I will probably order the thread on line since none of the LQS have a good selection of quilting threads.

The border will probably done in verigate as suggested.

OH MY now I have to worry about QUILTING PATTERNS....

Comment

Anna, have you looked at other kaleidoscope quilts in the gallery? Maybe the way they have been quilting will give you some inspiration.
          From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Lorchen

Problem with the QUILT GALLERY is there are over 15,000 quilts... I have tried every type of kaleidoscopes in the search box but only two quilts came up... both lovely but not the information for what I needed.

The quilt gallery does not sort by category but by number or name of the quilt... if you do not know either you do not get answers to your search. I do go through the gallery just to see on a regular basis... so I will probably spend some time there today.

Anna

Comment

Anna,

There are additional search features for quilts in the gallery that are available to star members only. I did a quick check and found more quilts.

Think about it Anna . The number of posts that you have on the forum tells me that you are part of our community. Regardless of your internet speed or bandwidth limitations, you are part of our community -- admit it! It is time to join us...add a star to your profile. Come over to the bright side...

Comment

Anna, I put 'kaleidoscope' in the 'block' box of the 'advanced search and got over 80 hits.

Comment

Hi Anna,
                  I put "kaleidoscope" in Type of Quilt and got 60 hits. This was using my Basic membership. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.
                  Livermore, California, USA near San Francisco

Comment

I only got two ... on of which was my own.... I have tried COOL kaleidoscope, KOOL kaleidoscope AND various derivates... the most I ever got was 6.

I will try again. I sometimes think it has more to do with my internet speed at the moment as to how many pop up in a search engine.

Correct spelling is madatory... sometime different name to the project results in being over looked in the search engines.
                    Livermore, California, USA near San Francisco

Comment

You asked about searching the quilt gallery for quilting inspiration for your quilt. I was able to get 131 quilts in the search results by using the following process. Please note that not all of the quilts will meet your criterion, however you seem motivated to look through the images.

I used the Search for Quilts Online, then in the Design Source section, I typed kal* in the Name of Pattern field. Please note that I did not attempt to fully spell kaleidoscope. The asterisk * acts as a wild card in data searches.

Comment

Lady Rags,
                        For multi-bright fabrics, I like to use a King Tut varigated thread If you have a well stocked LQS you will have several combinations to choose from. Take a look at the Superior website for lots of choices also but it is so much easier to lay the prospective thread out on the top. Good luck.
                        Diana

Comment

Anna, I think it depends on what you want to do with your quilting. I use either bottom line or very fine YLI silk closely matched to the fabric to quilt with when I don't want it to show much and i don't want to use invisible thread. I will say, though, that I used to really not like invisible thread until I tried Superior's. It works wonderfully. If you want your quilting to stand out, and use something like King Tut, remember everything--good and bad--will show, but it could be a fabulous addition to your quilt. As to color, I'd pick one or two main interesting colors and not do a lot of thread changes. I really like both King Tut and Rainbow (both from Superior) and if you go metallic, Superior's are the best--cause less headaches. I sound like a salesperson for Superior, but I am not...they just make some of the best thread out there. Look forward to seeing it finished. Have fun quilting it. Looks great so far. Cheers. BJ

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

When I quilt on bright fabrics with lots of colors, I like to use Superior's neon Rainbow thread. You might even be surprised at what a solid neon thread will do. Just because the thread is bright does not mean that it will shout on the quilt.

Coast of South Carolina USA
                            Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Audition! If you don't have a thread stash, go to the store. Try everything, even neons! They often show up where metallics won't. Changing colors something to consider also.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 47 users online. 0 members and 47 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X