[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Little Scraps of Magic

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are lots more stitches that we can use on our machines but we need to take the time to learn what our machines are capable of!

When I made my "bible" (about 7 years ago) I learned that my Bernina 630 has a stitch that really does mimic hand quilting ON THE TOP. (NOT the bottom!)
    I use this for decorative stitching, but not for quilting.

On my machine there are 3 "Hand-Look Quilt Stitchs" listed in the manual. I use #328. I use the default stitch length, but tighten my top tension as tight as it will go, and loosen the spring tension on my bobbin case about 1/4 turn. (Remember to re-set the bobbin tension when you go back to light weight thread!)

I use monofiliment on the top (usually Superior's MonoPoly or YLI's nylon) and a heavy weight cotton in the bobbin, and even though my fabric has been heavily starched, I also use Ricky Tims' Stable Stuff as a stabilizer under these stitches.

I found that the first couple of stitches aren't always as pretty as the rest, so I get a running start on a "starty/stoppy" scrap of fabric so that by the time I get to the area I want to be pretty, the stitches have worked the tension out!

On this block I used black thread to add decorative stitches on the gable end of the roof and the corner of the house, and I like the way it adds some detail.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo, isn't that settings, as much as a specialized stitch? Seems to me I recall that working on machines many years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
        There are lots more stitches that we can use on our machines but we need to take the time to learn what our machines are capable of!

When I made my "bible" (about 7 years ago) I learned that my Bernina 630 has a stitch that really does mimic hand quilting ON THE TOP. (NOT the bottom!)
        I use this for decorative stitching, but not for quilting.

On my machine there are 3 "Hand-Look Quilt Stitchs" listed in the manual. I use #328. I use the default stitch length, but tighten my top tension as tight as it will go, and loosen the spring tension on my bobbin case about 1/4 turn. (Remember to re-set the bobbin tension when you go back to light weight thread!)

I use monofiliment on the top (usually Superior's MonoPoly or YLI's nylon) and a heavy weight cotton in the bobbin, and even though my fabric has been heavily starched, I also use Ricky Tims' Stable Stuff as a stabilizer under these stitches.

I found that the first couple of stitches aren't always as pretty as the rest, so I get a running start on a "starty/stoppy" scrap of fabric so that by the time I get to the area I want to be pretty, the stitches have worked the tension out!

On this block I used black thread to add decorative stitches on the gable end of the roof and the corner of the house, and I like the way it adds some detail.

Margo, that is lovely! Do I understand correctly - it's the bobbin thread that pops on top, to make it look hand stitch?

Can you please let me know the sequence of your stitch (e.g. front-back-left-right)- I don't have that on my Janome, but if the sequence is same as another, maybe by setting the tension it would work?

Thanks

Andrée

Comment

I'll try to explain this so you can look for something similar on your machine, but my owner's manual refers to this particular stitch as "Hand-look Quilt Stitch".

These are the threads I used on this project. The bobbin thread is a 30 weight black cotton and the top is YLI monofilament.

This is a two stitch sequence.
          Basically it is one regular stitch forward (that only shows the monofilament thread on the top) then the second part of the combination is where the bobbin thread is pulled to the top. The machine takes the second forward stitch; takes one stitch backwards (landing in the hole between the two stitches); takes two tacking stitches in the same hole, then advances to the second hole of the second stitch.
          One regular forward stitch; second forward stitch; backwards; two tacks, forward.

You can see in this closeup that shows the sequence, sometimes the stitches are not as "solid" looking as you would like, but I find that slowing down my speed helps with that issue.

It's not perfect, but is useful for some applications.

Comment

Thanks Margo, I'll try to find something similar on my Janome 7700 (or 9900).

Andrée

Comment

What part of show 1403 is the 'fast binding' technique shown? I watched the show last week, but I am drawing a blank on this.

I still haven't started the 1st project. ops:
              Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

Hi Carol,

You are not losing your mind. Gyleen did not have time to show this cool technique the day we taped, but she wanted to share it with all of our members. So we thought it a perfect project for Little Scraps of Magic.

Lilo

Comment

Well that's a relief. Thanks for reassuring me I'm not losing my mind! LOL
                  Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

Hi Andree,
                    I have a Janome 6600 and have the hand look quilt stitch, you need monofilament on the top and your colour of choice in the bobbin.
                    On my machine it's stitch 22. mode 2. in the instruction book it says "Use this stitch for decorative outlines" the pattern is 3 stitches on top of one another then 1 stitch forward then the pattern is repeated, the one stitch forward shows the monofilament and gives the look of hand quilting. I hope this helps, I have to say I have never used it on a quilt but it could be useful
                    Anne

Comment

I found this online which might be useful if anybody is interested. On my Janome 7700 stith 94 in the Quilt section did it for me. I had to loosen my bobbin tension and increase the top tension to 7. I also increased the stitch length to 4.00.

http://janomelife.wordpress.com/2011...ng-by-machine/

Comment

Can't wait to give this a try!

Comment

Thank you all for the information! I'll give this a try this week-end!
                          (I'll post picture )

Andrée

Comment

Thanks Rita!

Comment

Interesting website Rita ...thanks
                              Anne

Comment

Good idea!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 75 users online. 0 members and 75 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X