[vb_main_1]

Tips for Using the Forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for Using the Forum

With the 2019 BOM just getting underway, we have lots of new folks using the Forum. Let's post Tips here for how to navigate the Forum.

My tip--I check at least once a day, much more often right now as SIZZLE questions are coming up. I go to "Recent Topics"--this list puts all posts in most recent order and I can quickly see if a Category I am checking has any new posts--a little green "NEW" tells me if there is. This is also helpful if you saw something recently but don't remember exactly where it was posted--you won't have to hunt too far down the list if it was Recent.

Another tip--the default is Subscribe to any posts you make and answer--the Check box is marked. If you don't want to know when a new post appears in that topic, just uncheck it. When you are subscribed. you get an email with the new post. This helps me a lot as I keep up with the questions coming in about SIZZLE.

To add photos, go to the Attachments box right under the Message box, and click Add File. This allows you to select the photo on your compuer/device you want to add. You can Insert it in the message by clicking Insert. If you just hit Submit it will be added as an attachment as I did right here. Sometimes photos come in upside down or sideways--if anyone knows how to fix that, please tell--it is beyond me.

If you've got a great tip or want to tell how the Forum helps you, please post here. New folks will thank you--oh, about that--you can thank someone for their post by clicking "Thank you" under their post--it's sort of the same as "Like" on Facebook.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

I'm confused by the 'Reply Topic', 'Quick Reply' and 'Reply'. If I want to offer a suggestion to a specific person and not everyone, which button should I use?
    Thank you.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Originally posted by "BleuRose" post=148740
      I'm confused by the 'Reply Topic', 'Quick Reply' and 'Reply'. If I want to offer a suggestion to a specific person and not everyone, which button should I use?
      Thank you.
      Good question. Reply Topic at the top of the page and Reply, on a specific post, are the same. It allows full posting options, bold, underline, italics, etc, and you can include photos.

Quick Reply doesn’t have all those options. I use it to answer questions asked in a post—I start my reply by typing the person’s name so everyone will know who I am talking about. So, saying: “Love your blocks” in a reply isn’t as helpful as saying: “BleuRose, I love your blocks”.

Quote is a way to show the question that was asked. It puts the previous post you are replying to in your reply—you can edit it to shorten it if helpful. As active as this Forum is currently, that is helpful so people don’t have to scroll back through many posts to see the original.

Hope this helps.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Need a broad Category like questions on how to post please

Comment

Originally posted by "coldfeetquilter" post=151613
          Need a broad Category like questions on how to post please
          I moved your Reply here--you had posted it in the 2020 Block of the Month category.

We have this Topic all set for asking FORUM QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS.

Barbara Black

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Barbara. When I see a post in the forum that refers back to another post is there a button I can hit to see what theya re talking about. For instance posts that say '"I like your map background" ...I can't tell what they are talking about.

Also is there a place to get tutorials on how to navigate the forum.... Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by "PMartin" post=153517
              Barbara. When I see a post in the forum that refers back to another post is there a button I can hit to see what theya re talking about. For instance posts that say '"I like your map background" ...I can't tell what they are talking about.

Also is there a place to get tutorials on how to navigate the forum.... Thanks in advance
              Short answer: no. Better answer: this is an improvement coming in the new website, soon to be rolled out. You will be able to Comment directly on a post and your comment will remain with that post.

It helps, if answering someone's question, to do what I did here--use Quote to copy what the person asked.
              If you want to say "I love your fabric", it helps to use Quick Reply--which allows you see the name of the person you want to compliment. Address that person by name, when you start your reply. For example: "PMartin, I'm glad you asked that question..."

I have done videos on how to use this Forum and have shown the steps to using it in the first couple of LIVEs I did. Since the new Forum will roll out soon, and we will spend some time showing you around there, I don't think we will spend any more time on detailed instructions here.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 58 users online. 0 members and 58 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X