[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

I need help - desperatly- not a joke

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find that unless I set a goal, make a deadline, I don't have any ambition. Yes I too have a lot of fabric, start a lot of projects but please set a deadline and do something.

One good free pattern is the block of the month here on The Quilt Show. You can print off the pattern and get started. You'll have the goal of finishing the sections each month. There are no BOM police so if you don't finish that month, keep plugging at it till you do.

I was under and extreme deadline to finish a quilt for a guild show. I would work every morning from 5am till it was almost time to go to work. I would work some nights after supper till almost 11PM but I finished the quilt. My neighbor who saw my light on thought I had forgotten to shut it off, she was quite surprised that -no - I was working that whole time. While I don't subscribe to that - I do think that if you were to get up 1/2 an hour before the rest of the family and do some sewing each day you would get a lot done. Prepare something the night before, maybe while watching TV then set it by your machine so that you won't waste time searching for everything in the morning. I find that if I visit my room before work, I"m in a better mood during the day.

Join or start a bee with friends. Good therapy. We rotate houses so we're not hostess each time. We meet every 2 weeks.

Our group of girls goes to retreat. That would be a way to get you fired up. WE also go to quilt shows together, this year because of finances, we'll still take the time off but get together and sew for 3 days. Alternating houses just like bee and visit local shops.

Sit down, make a plan and follow through, Write down your goals, make a clear vision and then get going!

denise

Comment

I have to agree with Lynn. As a nurse practitioner, I am seeing signs of obsessive/compulsive disorder (OCD). You should talk to your health care provider about this. ADHD is common in adults, it's not something you outgrow. The fact that you are asking for help shows you realize that it has become a problem.

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

It is great when you find someone that shares the same passion as you. Maybe you could join a guild and befriend someone. You have the shopping done, It is time to start doing. You have enjoyed washing the fabrics and organizing them, don't feel guilty if the beds are not made one day or the kids have pizza for dinner. Set aside a day of the week and quilt with a friend. It is great therapy.

Maria

Comment

You mentioned that you have trouble finishing projects and I do also (I think it might be an adhd kind of thing). I LOVE planning a project and buying the fabic even starting the project, but the finishing is a little more boring. I have a few tricks to help myself.

If it is a big project, work on it till you get bored, then put it away. Do a couple of little projects that can be done quickly. Placemat, potholder, pillow etc. Once that is done, go back to the large project for a while, because you haven't looked at it for a while it will seem interesting for a while. When you get bored put it away for a while again. It's ok to have 2 or 3 (5 or 6) projects going on at a time.

When you get near to the end, the final push can be so tedious. I sometime make a deal with myself. If I can push through and finish this ONE project this weekend, I will reward myself with something. Maybe it's drawing up plans for a new quilt, or a shopping trip. Just so that it is something that you really like to do.

I really feel your pain. If you finish up one or two of your outstanding projects you will not feel so bad about having so many "under construction".

Hope this helps,
          Brita

Comment

I think all the suggestions you've gotten here are excellent, I would suggest one more thing: AVOID going on EBay or any other sites that sell tools & thread & books until you have made a dent in what you have! I've had the same problem & have simply stopped shopping. Instead, go onto websites that have free patterns & print some off, you'll only be out the cost of the ink & paper.

One other thing to keep in mind: your taste changes, and when you finally get around to using the fabrics you've collected, you might not like it anymore! That's where I am right now, not overly in love with some of the fabric & patterns I've collected, and not in a financial situation to buy replacements. So I am using what I have, and wishing I hadn't bought some of it in the first place. I hope you can avoid that mistake! Kathy B.

Comment

Hi Kathy,
              Seems you have the quilting bug, like the rest of us You might do a "to do"list of all your UFOs and then decide which ones you want to start on and work thru. While it may take a while to finish them you can get a great feeling when you mark one off your list when its all done. With regard to your mags you might consider putting a "post it" on the front and write the patterns you like in the mag, ones you would really like to make and even go thru your stash to see if you can make one from what fabric you have or what fabric you'll need to do them and get focused. You might consider joining a local guild or quilt group. Maybe you and some friend(s) could have a sew in weekend to finish UFO's? a weekend away with other quilters? Making a reversible quilt uses up a huge amount of fabric and left over batting.
              Having some sort of order on the fabric helps. I did a huge tidy up and used wire baskets in metal frames from IKEA, which hold all my fat quarters and I can see the fabric. While I see you have kids and life can be demanding if you could make time for yourself you deserve it. So Happy Quilting

Comment

First off, I just started quilting 11 months ago. I am a fabricaholic, well now reformed as my DH is on umemployment and I am unable to work. I have also been diagnosed with ADHD. I am compulsive, and a perfectionist.

I have made 8 quilts so far, two being king size the rest are lap quilts to twin size bed quilts.

I have enough fabric to make several quilts, king size at that. You know, I am afraid to make triangles, because my points do not always match up on a nine patch with just squares. This has immobilized me, and it is just plain silly. I have plenty of scraps from the quilts I have made to practice with and I am going to do that today.

I have bought from ebay, LQS, Joann's and Hancocks because I liked the fabric/fabrics. I used to buy fabric from one particular line, so everything is matchy matchy. It was a compulsion.

Now, I am trying to decide which grouping of fabric I want to work on (no easy task for me), but in the mean time I will work on organizing my stash and working on triangles. I have alot of time on my hands.

I just wanted you to know I know what you are going through somewhat, and we both need to jump in and do something.

Hugs to you Bigmomma
                Zimmy

Comment

Stqrt with something small like a wall hanging, something that can be done in just straight seams. Like a Roman Stripes or Nine Patch, and go from there. If it takes too long you might get discouraged, but something small that you can finish in a few days will give you a high and you will want to make more and more. We all have lots of fabric, but never the right pattern or color, so we buy more. Have fun!!

Comment

. My stash was getting out of hand what with bags and bins full of fabrics for long forgotten projects, so this Christmas I decided to use up what fabrics I had on hand and sew something for gifts. I managed to sew 4 sets of hats and scarves, three fleece vests, three tote bags and a table runner. This helped me thin out the stock and open up space in my small sewing room. Now that the holidays are over, I'm ready to start the quilt my daughter has been waiting for.
                    Hope this helps anyone else who's "stuck-in-a-rut".

Comment

Hello,

No no how you think of this is "all of my patchwork materials and patterns are sweetly sleeping cuddled up in a draw" LOL LOL

Yours in shush Jill

Taree NSW - Australia
                      My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 45 users online. 0 members and 45 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X