[vb_main_1]

is it ok to post pics of others quilts?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it ok to post pics of others quilts?

I went to quilt show Friday, took a bunch of pic's of quilts that appealed to me as well as some of the winners. I was going to post them in a blog and got to thinking..is that ok? I don't know the names of the quilters, can't really read the labels from the pics. I have a list of the winners, so could put those names down. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. Sandi in FL

Sandi, normally I would have said yes, IMHO, however with the exception that I definitely think some due diligence should be made in order to give credit where credit is due. Especially with a mention of the show where the quilts were on display.

Comment

It seems that today you can only post those pictures if you have the permission of the person(s) who made the quilts. Most quilters love to share, but not all.

Lorchen
      From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I pretty sure it is going to depend on your state's laws and regulation. MOST regulations (generalizations ) are:
        A photographer has the rights to the photograph they take... That is why professional photographers keep their negatives.

Unless posted NO PICTURES, a quilt show is consider a public event... like a sports event, therefore you CAN POST the pictures of what you take. You can not take pictures from other web sites and use them for publications or posting on your web pages.

How do you think the PAPARAZZI gets away with their OUTRAGEOUS BEHAVIOR WHEN PHOTOGRAPHING CELEBRITIES.

Those are the generalities that I know of about photographs... check your state's regulation... or check with the local newspaper about what rules they follow when posting on line or using in a newspaper / magazine. I have found most newspaper agencies helpful to answer most questions.
        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Look in the brochure you got from the quilt show. There may be some information about posting pictures of quilts in the show. I don't think you can legally do it, but maybe I'm wrong. I believe your pictures are for your personal use only. Quilts would be considered artistic works. Seems like I remember a big problem about 15 years ago over posting quilt show photos on the internet. Maybe someone else remembers the details. Judy in Torrance

Comment

Thanks so much for your responses. I will check in the brochure as well. I know some shows do not allow pictures, but this one encourages taking pictures. Sandi in FL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 40 users online. 0 members and 40 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X