[vb_main_1]

Help! Need quick baby block quilt --

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Need quick baby block quilt --

My First GS is now eight months old - and he has no quilt! I have to fix this in a hurry. Looking for quickie fix. Any suggestions? ops:

My First GD is now 3 1/2 years old and has 2 quilts - MY BAD!!!!!! :shock:
    Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Thomas the train has a wonderful color scheme for boys, even if you don't want to do the charactor. Its generally blue, red, yellow, green, and black - crayon box colors. Look it up on line and you will see what I mean about the colors - they scream "little boy". Since he is already 8 1/2 months old he is probably already getting past the pastel blue stage, so I know the brights are the way I would lean.
    Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

Great idea! I'll look into this a little more. Idea of a Medallion in the center with Thomas the Train on white or blue background. The train piece outlined, with baby blocks in crayon box colors and quilted with little puffs of smoke throughout and trailing train cars stitched in the border (crib sized).

Hmmmm - sounds workable. Thanks for the idea.

Cookie
      Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

I have made so many baby boy quilts.... mother of 3 boys...
        the one that is the most durable and has withstood the washer a thousand times. Kay Woods quilt as you go. You cut out a center and sew around the add a piece sandwiching the first and you just keep adding. You can machine quilt a design on each one as you go or just leave it and it looks like you quilted in the ditch. Pick your GS's favorite color and or character. Bind with a double fold because they are so much hard on their quilts. You can make this quilt in about 3 hrs for crib size. Flannel works really well with this design.
        Enjoy. and don't forget to sign it.
        Tricia

Comment

I made a hand appliqued Noah's ark for GS #1--it was a Piecemaker's pattern. Turned out really cute. And for GS #2 I alternated pinwheel blocks with sailboats. I used blue, red and gold in Debbie Mumm fabrics. I'm getting ready to make another baby quilt for my 8th grandchild, a girl, to be born in May. It will be in lavendar, white, lime green, and a little pink. I'm going to make it really simple with sawtooth stars and plain alternating blocks. And I'm going to machine quilt it this time! Good luck with your quilt!

Comment

Thanks to all for your great ideas and for taking the time to reply. You are appreciated!

Comment

Pinwheels and stripes in bold colors. My little buddy who I coach at bowling told me that my quilts needed less flowers and more bugs or cars. He is 3 and knows quite a bit if you ask him (even if you don't he'll tell you anyway) Anyway pinwheels are really easy and so are split rails. If you are in a big hurry you can not go wrong. They can easily frame your madalion.

Comment

I did the quilt as you go on a small Thomas and Friends quilt I made Mikey when he was about 18 months. I made it from a scrap bag I bought sold by the pound - $5 for several yards worth of licenced Thomas and Friends fabric! I took the largest chunk and made it the center and then built around it log cabin style. Mikey loved that quit and drug it everywhere, but it is still with us. That quilt as you go method really does hold up well.

Comment

Great ideas, simple and quick. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to post.

Comment

I love disappearing 9 patch for a quick quilt for kids... I love using wild and bright colors mixed with a solid white / or primary color.

Make a 9 patch blocks... I use 4 inch or 6 inch finished. ( bigger the blocks... less needed for the quilt...) Once sewn I cut the block through the middle vertically and horizontally. I then rotate two of the opposite blocks to the center... Sew the blocks back together.

I use any cute novelty prints as the outer blocks ( block 1-3 and 7 - 9 ) and usually make the middle block that get cut as a solid fabric. This give a cute twist to your placement and saves your novelty so it can be truly enjoyed.

These make great I SPY QUILTS.

Easy to make and really cute.... Happy Quilting

Comment

[img]Hi all, especially "1cookie".
                      I am in an almost identical situation. (5th grandchild due at Christmas / no quilt!!! "Everyone else" has one!)
                      I have almost completed a Card Trick but am not happy with it. I am mostly self-taught and "broke all of the rules" in making it. Incl having the blocks too large.
                      My principle concern is the colour! (a bad place to start!!) I wanted to be able to back it in a dark fabric, but not Navy.
                      The previous ('last baby" quilt was 1/2 square triangle Eye Spy which I backed in Navy) It came up well, but I wanted a change. Now I have had to "try too hard" to force this quilt into Baby-mode.
                      I've been out and bought some tiny print of Peter Rabbit, with a complementary fabric and a kind of denim-blue floral for the backing, but fear it is too dull! Do I sound as if I'm in "panic mode"?
                      I think that with a pin-wheel or the nearly nine-patch I might be happier.
                      Thank you for letting me share your enquiry.
                      I hope that the pregnancy is progressing well.
                      [/img]

Comment

One of my favorite baby quilts is 6 inch alternating 9 patch/Snowball blocks in 1930s prints with bleached or unbleached muslin. I've made several of these.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

This reply is likely way too late for 1cookie, but may help someone else in the same situation. One of the quickest and easiest quilts to make, that looks very complex, is "Warm Wishes" There's a free pattern at http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt4/ This quilt is especially great for novelty prints which are often used in babies' & children's quilts. My very first quilt was a "Rail Fence" which was extremely easy, but "Warm Wishes" is even easier--less cutting and piecing.

Also, cheater fabrics make putting a quilt together quicker and easier. On my profile, you'll see the quilt that I made for my grandson when I found out two weeks before his birth that he was going to be a boy, instead of a girl. I had already completed a quilt top for what I thought was going to be a granddaughter, using the "Children's Delight" pattern http://www.quilterscache.com/C/Child...ightBlock.html
                          Photos of this quilt and my "Warm Wishes" quilt are also on my profile.

Comment

I just made a CARD TRICK / WINNING HAND quilt block in my Mystery Class last Friday night... Made twenty blocks in one 4 hour period it was a blast... I had so much fun...

I had bought a nice blue with colored stars border fabric but found and even better bright blue with wild color trucks/tractors/ farm implement type fabric using the same colors as the card tricks. So I am switching fabrics.

My only disappointment in the quilt is I wish I had picked a better background color... white is going to get really dirty.... FAST.

Regardless my DD will love the quilt for her new 6 month old baby.

Enough chitter chatter... I am back to sewing... see you all later.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 37 users online. 0 members and 37 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X