[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Quilting with Children

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florence you have a budding star there in your Curious George and you have to admit he has good taste in heros. Just think how many non heros he could chose to emulate. Aren't you lucky that he chose not only one of the best people to emulate but he is learning a lot of new skills along the way. and you know what not so perfect quarter inch seams are not that big a deal in a convergence because as Ricky would tell you the flow of the design masks some of those imperfections. Please have George tell us about his convergence and maybe post it under the convergence addicts line of the forum That way none of us convergence lovers will miss it. Hi George -- I have told your Mom if you are ever in need of an extra Grandma I will volunteer for the job. Ann in sunny Texas

Comment

yep, Ann, he's a doll! And getting cowboy boots for his birthday next week. I'll definitely get him to post, it's kind of funny having both of us together b/c his quilting tales are mine too and vice-versa! You'll just have to give that motor home a spin up to Virginia next summer! (on second thought, make that spring or fall... much prettier!)

Comment

Florence-
        I just made my first convergence, and it is a great kid-friendly project! I'd love to see a pic of George's.

Lisa

Comment

I've tried to get him to post the top, but he wants to wait till it's finished, and, um, he's having trouble finishing... I think he really IS a quilter!
          And the other day I found the cutest "cowboy Christmas" fabric at Hancock's, so we may just have to start another one before we get back to the convergence-- oh dear!
          Florence

Comment

I have enjoyed reading all about kids who quilt. Today my son Noah, was practicing machine quilting to do his first free motion quilt top. He has just completed his second twin size quilt with wild fruit fabric. He has done nearly all of this quilt himself. He got me started quilting when he was 6 and now he is 11. My younger son dabbles too. While I was out out at a Quilt shop hop last week they teamed up and made 25 mini flannel sleeping bags for their playmobile soldiers for a new wooden castle the have been building with Dad. Hillaroius! We are a busy household! They are our future- even if they only learn to understand what quilters love it has got to be a good thing to pass along.
            Thanks Claire in Burlington VT

Comment

Claire what a beautiful story Your kids are gems.

My beautiful granddaughter will be with me next week and though I know swimming (in Texas in March vs. Chicago ) will be high on her list of activities, I hope we can get a little quilting time together. She made her first "real quilt" when she was eight for her American Girl doll . Designed, cut, sewed, quilted etc everything with not much help from me except for advice and the final assembly because we were doing something I was learning so couldn't teach what I didn't know LOL tried that once learned it doesn't work.

She makes clothes with her Mom but quilts are my thing with her so we will see what we get done.

If your boys ever are in need of an extra Grandma send them my way because I just have the one granddaughter for real but have adopted a bunch of others who all are special .

Never discourage the creativity of a child --- they might become a Ricky or Alex or a whole new artistic person we never thought of before. give them my love a wannabe grandma to boys, Ann

Comment

Fransisco Ten is making his second quilt. He has started picking out my straight seems,"ouch" LOL! He is really enjoying himself, he is very excited about having spring break off so he can finish his second quilt. He is a very delightful young Boy,a great student in every way. He will have his second quilt pieced tommorrow. He says maybe if I get this one finished on mid spring break, I'll be able to start another one. ((I'm very proud of him)), he says; I only want to make them for the warmth and beautiy. Bet I'll put a picture up soon as he gets # 2 finished.
                Yeah,I Think he's hooked!

He got his first pin cusion doll today,"Snobbles" and He thinks it's just great! LOL! "Sure does holds alot of pins"! Can Check it out on my 360% page.

Comment

I've taught two of my granddaughters to hand piece and to piece on the sewing machine. I have the cutest picture of them sewing on my two Featherweights (which will be theirs someday).

Comment

My next-door neighbor just got a new sewing machine for her birthday... she's SIX!! I haven't seen it yet, don't know what kind, I expect it's one of the "made-for-children" types. Her mom doesn't sew much, but her step-grandma borrowed one of my machines on a visit this year to make drapes, and I think that was the inspiration. So, since I'm behind anyway & haven't gotten her a gift (her b'day was the 3rd, they were at the beach for the week) what do you recommend as a gift for a soon-to-be sewer? Obviously a gift card from Hancock's or Joann's would do, but is there anything else that might be spot-on?? Thanks, Florence

Comment

How about a coupon for a sewing lesson since her Mom doesn't sew. They will probably look to you for some help anyway.
                      Karen
                      Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

How about some scraps to practice on along with some kid appropriate notions?

Comment

How about some charm squares?

Comment

Florence, I think some bright colored squares would be great for her project......that way she could sew first and learn to cut later. I wish I would find a child to teach to quilt.

Dana in Olive Branch, MS

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 22 users online. 0 members and 22 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X