[vb_main_1]

Bernina Q20 Soooo Excited!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bernina Q20 Soooo Excited!!!!!

Hubby said yes so I pulled the trigger and bought a Q20 sit down machine. I have to wait until next weekend to go pick it up. This is going to be the longest week at work ever!!!! I have been struggling with another sit down long arm since the day I bought it 2 years ago. Bernina only had rumors floating of a long arm then and they were rumored to be very expensive when they came out. Well after my 830 nightmare I didn't want to be the first in line! So I bought another brand. Boy was that a mistake, or maybe just my individual machine was a mistake. Two years later I'm quilting on my domestic and the long arm sits with 224k stitches on it.

So I can't wait for the new Bernina to come home to momma next weekend. Happy 4th of July to me!!! I have 3 quilt tops just waiting for it. One thing I'm really looking forward to is being able to use all different kinds of threads. My flop machine will only allow one type & weight of thread through it. And it does that horribly at best.

Would love to hear from anyone else who has a Q20 and any insights or suggestions you have are truly welcome.

Then to top off the day when I was at my dealer, I found myself face to face with Alex as she was in Sacramento teaching a class. What can I say, I was star struck! It was an honor just to be able to speak to her momentarily.

Sharon

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Sharon,

I just got a Q20 about 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it. I am surprised you are picking up your Q20 and it isn't being set up for you in studio. Putting the table together is challenging, and both the table and the machine are heavy. I think it can be done without the dealer because the directions are clear, but you will need help and then getting rid of the giant boxes will also be a little challenging.

Nevertheless, I am pretty confident you will be very happy with it. It is not a complex machine like the 830 (I have one of those too and love that, but apparently you did not have the same experience). There is some information on the internet with videos, etc, and you can download the manual, which is different from the instruction book that comes with the machine. I have some blogs about my Q20: The Q20... and My own quilting retreat, in which I show some of my practice pieces.

The things I love about it: The stitches are beautiful and even. If you tried quilting on the 830 with the BSR, the BSRs on this are like professional tools compared to a nice tool to use once in a while. BSR1 works best for free motion movement; BSR2 works best for ruler work, and BSR3 is a basting stitch, then there is the non-BSR mode. Ruler work is really easy with it; You can really see what you are quilting and it will slow way down or go really really fast with ease.

But it requires a little bit of practice.
    Best wishes...let us know how it goes.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I will check out your blog . I am picking up the machine which was set up for a class at the dealer. They were brand new machines brought out for a class. They are just going to take the top off and the two legs. I have a 6'5" son with muscles for days that will help me unload and reassemble. DH will be there for help also.

I'm not new to FMQ'g and have quilted on the one I have as well as my domestic machines. Just was not happy with it at all. When I played on the demo in the dealers (the Q20) it was like sending a hot knife through already soft butter. It was so smooth and dreamy. I'm also looking forward to the digital tension adjustment. I find that I no longer care for the old fashioned "singer tension" knobs as we used to call them.

So reading and watching everything I can while I bide my time til I can get back up there to pick up. Darn jobs, they do get in the way!!!! LOL

Comment

http://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/2015/09/bernina-q20-sit-down-long-arm-quilting.html

Sharon, here is the link to my blog about receiving my Q20 last September.

I love it!

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
        North Alabama, USA
        "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Nice sewing space Barbara! I'm envious. I have two TOL sewing/embroidery machines in my daughters old bedroom. Now I will have the Q20. I think I'm going to fully open her up and use the extension pieces (that will take up almost one whole wall, but who needs windows anyway!!). Do you think they are strong enough to be able to press on one side when piecing and cut on the the other? It would allow me to alleviate one table in my room.

I did not know about the storage under the table top that exposes when it slides open. Yeah!!! :woohoo: another added bonus!! Goodness I am so excited now that there are not enough videos to watch!!

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!

North Alabama, USA

Comment

If you have this same Koala table, it is pretty strong. I would still prefer to have a separate table for cutting and pressing so the machine is ready to go for quilting. Having said that, if you saw mine now you would laugh--horizontal surfaces tend to become filled up with stuff and mine sure is. It would take me 20 minutes to put everything away that is on it if I wanted to use it for quilting!

North Alabama, USA

Comment

I bought my Q20 last fall but haven't had a chance to spend much time using it yet. The time I have spent I absolutely love it. I hope I haven't forgot my training!

Comment

I feel like such a new mother who is going to pick up her baby!!! In fact I took off the rest of the week off so I could go get my new baby tomorrow instead of waiting until Saturday!!!!

Comment

Well, DS and I went to pick up the machine & table last week. I must say, these machines cost about twice as much as most the rest but oh boy oh boy can I tell why!!! This machine is absolutely awesome. I tried every single thread I have through it. It took everything and never missed a beat. I do think that having the bobbin tension thing helps too. It appears to be a Towa just like Superior Threads shows, but it of course has the Bernina name on it. I am currently quilting DH's nap quilt on it using a ruler and it just sews like a dream. So all in all..........expensive - yes............worth it - definitely. And unlike other models this stitch regulator works!!!

The unit and table together are very heavy and I have it on carpet. However I went to our local hardware store and got those oval furniture mover skid things and put them underneath the legs. Now I can easily move the entire unit whenever I need to. So now it sits on those permanently.

Comment

I agree. I have been taking mine through its paces the past few days and I am amazed. It so far exceeds expectations. Every stitch is even and it keeps up with me even when I quilt very fast or very slowly. It's amazing. So glad you got yours set up. Cheers.

Comment

Good morning, everyone. I'm debating getting a sit down longarm. Just wondering whether you have to take them in for service or have a technician come to you? Any other insights about the service experience?

Alexandria, VA

Comment

My technician will come to the house. I don't know the cost of such a service call. We are in the same town so very short travel time.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Well it is my birthday........and I have the best present ever!!!!........a Q20!!!!
                          I have wanted one since the day they were released but didn't have the room. Still didn't have the room so I emptied a spare room into a sea container to fit one!!!!
                          Now I can finish all the quilt tops that were difficult to quilt on my Bernina 820. I love my Bernina 820 but the Q is so much bigger.
                          Oh happy day...............................

Comment

Ridgehill, so excited for you—mine is almost 4 years old and going strong. I just need to use her more frequently.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Thanks Barbara,
                              Did you get the laser pointer on yours? I did and it is fantastic. I believe it is easy to install yourself, a matter of removing 2 screws and adding it on.
                              I also got the twin needle stitch plate as an extra.
                              Sounds like I better get to it and get some serious quilting done!!!
                              Happy sewing,
                              Heather

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 45 users online. 0 members and 45 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X