[vb_main_1]

Your advice on purchasing a longarm?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your advice on purchasing a longarm?

I'm finally ready to make the leap! I have used a Nolting in the past. Our tech college had 3 of them, and I worked at a shop that rented time on their's. So I'm very familiar with this brand. However, I see a few other options that aren't available thru Nolting. Im doing my homework. Checking prices, how far away is the nearest dealer, what kind of fees will they charge if I need them to do the set up, etc. And the biggest challenge is that I want to get computerized right away. I won't immediately be starting a business, but would like to in the future.

I am hoping for advice regarding makes and models by brand, features, the business aspect of it, and some encouragement would be great too!! Sometimes taking on a new adventure is pretty scary.

Thanks in advance,
    Luann

Alexandria, VA

Check out the Virginia Longarm Network. They just opened an Innova Showroom and Training Center in Greenville, SC. It would be worth a road trip. They even rent their machines on weekends so you could get some practice in before buying. A class would be required first.

Comment

You really need to try the different brands to decide what is best for you. Just as with domestic machines, different machines work better for different people. The best online resource for all aspects of longarm quilting is Machine Quilter's Resource.

Comment

Yes, Luann, it is necessary to try the different brands. The larger shows usually have the top brands that you can try. Sometimes they have great deals too. They are expensive and the computerized ones more so. Just don't rush into the first deal or machine you try. Try them all and see what fits you. Also, have fun while you are looking.

Comment

Definitely try as many machines as you can before making a final purchase. For a business you will want to get the longest frame that will fit in your space, a 12' frame if possible. The depth of the machine is important too. You only get about 16" of sewing space with a 22" depth. Computers can almost double the price of the machine. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a slightly used machine.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 51 users online. 0 members and 51 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X