[vb_main_1]

New or Used?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New or Used?

I'm in the process of researching long-arms, and I have the luxury of time to decide (in other words, I don't have room for a big frame and may have to find a new house first, LOL). My husband loves Ebay and Craigslist, and has been looking for long-arms in those venues, but is that a good idea for such an investment? Do you still get the warranty, customer service, support, etc. that you would if you bought new? Hubby theorizes that if the machine is built strong and has been properly maintained, it should be fine to buy used. I'm just not sure if I'm comfortable with that. But what are the facts of the matter? Please share your thoughts and advice. If this has already been addressed in an older post, by all means, just refer me there.

Many thanks,

Buy from a local dealer. The used machine will have been serviced and it's history will be known. I sold my used machine through the dealer I bought my new one from. Buy from the Internet if you know how to set up and use a long arm. You will not get any warranty, training or support.

Good luck and do your homework carefully.

Barbara

Comment

You can also go to this site: http://www.houseofhanson.com/formerlyowned.html There are a lot of used machines there. The warranty usually doesn't follow the machine, but if you build up a relationship with a dealer, they'll take care of your machine.
      If there's any way you can afford it, buy new. There are loads of machine brands out there-from mid-arms to true longarms. Since thousands of dollars are involved either way-why skimp? Remember, you get what you pay for.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I bought mine used and am happy with it considering the savings in price. There are many websites strictly devoted to long arm machines and often have a used for sale page. I bought mine through yahoo groups, long arm quilting, but the big manufacturers often have used machines also. The thing is, that with any machine you are going to have a learning period. Getting used to how the machine works, and if you have experience with any commercial sewing machine, that will go faster. If you have a chance to go to a show and learn about the features before you buy, you can decide which ones are important to you. Good luck!

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

My LQS went out of business and I got a good deal on their longarm. Are there any videos out that shows how to load a quilt on the frame. Thanks in advance for any help. Dixie

Comment

Dixie, I don't know what kind of long arm you got, but here is a HandiQuilter video that shows how to load a quilt:
            http://www.handiquilter.com/videos/?id=25

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks Margo ,that video helped alot. Dixie

Comment

On this site under classrooms, Linda Taylor has some great videos on longarm quilting, including loading and pinning your quilt. Becky

Comment

Thanks bgood. dixie

Comment

I bought a new Innova with lightning stitch in 2010, my friend bought one used around the same time. It has been great for her, she saved a bundle and the machine was fine. She still gets service from the company. If you want to buy a used machine join the Yahoo Machine_Quilting _Professional group, I see machine posted there occasionally and the popular brands sell quickly. I wish I had shopped around for a used machine and saved a few K on my business start up costs.
                    Gina

Comment

My husband had the same thoughts about looking at Ebay for a machine. We encountered a scammer and of course reported him. I ended up buying new just because of the security of knowing my dealer and having her know the machine. Even though she lives in another town, I can call her if I have a question. I would buy a used if the machine was from a dealer that I'm familiar with.

Comment

I'm happy buying used, if I know where it's from, i.e. from a reputable dealer, from someone I know and trust. We spend way too much money on our machines for these to not be properly supported!
                        I'm happy to buy accessories and disposables on the Internet and even at flea markets, but the main bits NEED to be trustworthy!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 23 users online. 0 members and 23 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X