No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

To Gammill: my dream longarm...does it exist?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Gammill: my dream longarm...does it exist?

You all may have been watching the very cool replies I've gotten on my Forum discussion Bernina 830 with frame vs. longarms discussion. Here's the link, if it works: http://forum/this-and-that-quilting-...me-vs-longarms

Anyway, Gammill is a sponsor of TQS, and I would bet that some Gammill people are reading the forum from time to time. I have been looking at all kinds of longarm websites. I've seen your wonderful new Gammill Vision...it looks fabulous--haven't tried it yet, but it's too big for my house. I am going to retire in a few years and I want to be a mostly full-time art quilter. But so far I don't think what I want really exists. :cry:

What I really want is something I'll bet a lot of quilters would love to have. I want a longarm on a smaller frame for quilting wall art quilts, lap quilts, crib quilts, and so forth that has easy advance of the quilt, an electric hydraulic lift so I can sit down in a comfortable chair and quilt for hours, and really good lighting, and really fine stitch quality with a stitch regulator. I want to be able to do really fine microquilting and detail work. And I want it to cost no more than $15K for the whole kit and kaboodle. :shock:

I'll bet that could be done. If not by Gammill, maybe by someone, and I bet it would sell even in these tough economic times. There are a lot of us quilters who can't fit the giant things in our houses and don't want a stationary longarm. I've seen that Handi-Quilter has a shorter version kind of like that, and I plan on trying it out. But that Gammill Vision really looks cool!

Anyway, Gammill, if you make such a machine, I'd be glad to be your guinea pig to try it out for you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

I have been reading your posts and love that you are doing my research for me. I don't have room in my house for my current set up, let alone a gammil or 830. I can still want them though! I watched our neighbors across the street move out recently and thought hmmm....buy a house just for quilting like that wonderful lady in the recent show. Well, nursing pays, but not that much. I took my Bernina to the dealer recently and had it oiled and the bsr updated and sat down and looked at the 830 while I was there. The dealer asked if I wanted to come to her next invite to use and make a pillow with it. I said yes...but am leaving the checkbook and visa card at home. I did look at the 730 while I was there too. It is smaller, would fit in what I have, but, just doesn't have what the 830 does. Decisions! Sandi in FL

Comment

Sandi,
      I really would like both...maybe I'll win the lottery someday. Of course, to do that, I have to buy tickets...hahaha. I have a Bernina 200E/upgraded with the stitch regulator. It's wonderful and I love it, but it's not adequate for quilting much more than a 50" wide quilt. Oh, it can be done, but not very easily. Also, I worry about the mileage on it. It's already showing signs of wear and tear and I've only had it for 8 years now and used it only as a weekend hobby machine. Imagine what would happen if I use it much more than that. I kind of think the same would happen with the 830, but not sure about that.

Cheers, BJ

Comment

Originally posted by Sewdreamy
        Sandi,
        I really would like both...maybe I'll win the lottery someday. Of course, to do that, I have to buy tickets...hahaha. I have a Bernina 200E/upgraded with the stitch regulator. It's wonderful and I love it, but it's not adequate for quilting much more than a 50" wide quilt. Oh, it can be done, but not very easily. Also, I worry about the mileage on it. It's already showing signs of wear and tear and I've only had it for 8 years now and used it only as a weekend hobby machine. Imagine what would happen if I use it much more than that. I kind of think the same would happen with the 830, but not sure about that.

Cheers, BJ

I have a 200E as well but haven't done the BSR upgrade. I use it much more than on weekends. You think your's is wearing out?? :| I hope mine keeps going for the long haul! I love it. I'd really be happy with an 830 but I figured even if.... dh died and with the life insurance -- I paid off our farm debts, paid off daughter's college loan, saved back enough for son to finish college, had enough to live on for the rest of my life... I'm not sure there would be $12K left for an 830. :lol:
        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
        working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
        Tired. 
        Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
        Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

Joyce, I probably just have to take it into the shop for service. The light doesn't work, I have broken off the additional spool holder with a piece in where you put it in, and can't get that out, and recently, the tension seems to be a little less reliable than it was when I first got it. It's that last item that has me the most worried. After I finish both the mermaid quilt and my brother-in-law's church banner I will take it in for service.

Comment

I can't speak for Gamill, but I'm pretty sure APQS will size a custom frame for your available space. The hydraulic lift will fit on any size frame.

Comment

Gammill will custom size a frame for you. I have a friend who used to have machines-the tables were 8, 12 & 14 ft. Of course she was in business.
              If you wanted a Premier on a 6 ft table, I'm sure they'd accomodate you.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
              Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

You can absolutely get a custom size table from Gammill for any machine they make - $195 no matter what the size. They also have a new sit down model.....You can order a 18/8 Vision on a custom frame for around $14,000! Questions send me an email = mailto:info@thequiltedgoose.com, I am an authorized rep. for them and would be happy to help you. kind regards, Linda T.

Comment

Linda, As you probably saw, I put that question out in 2010. I tried them out and fell really in love with the Gammill Vision 22". So I went home and did lots and lots of measuring using a 6.5 foot table length. When I included the space I needed in front and back of it as well as side to side, it just didn't work. I ended up buying a Bernina 830 LE, which I dearly love. But I will say that I STILL want that Gammill Vision. I may just put it in my dining area and eat on TV trays. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 25 users online. 0 members and 25 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X