[vb_main_1]

Shifting tension

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting tension

I have a new Bernina long arm frame with a Brother PQ1500S short arm machine on it and use the Grace stitch regulator. I have been able to machine quilt just fine when sticking to curving patterns. However, when I do a "spikey" pattern then the tension shifts with the bobbin showing on top in one direction and the top thread showing on the bottom in the other direction. I have tried slowing done but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Using Mettler silk finish 50wt cotton on top and Superior BottomLine 60wt in the bobbin. Any suggestions? Can the right needle fix it?

Diana

PS please let me know if this is the wrong forum section. Not sure where my set up belongs.

Are you using a 90/14 topstitch, jeans or sharp needle?
    are you going to fast for the motion? For example when going too fast around curves eyelashes develop on the back?
    Have you dropped the tension?
    Do you have the "arm" of the bobbin threaded?

Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Teri,
      Can you give me better description of eyelashes?

Re: needles I have worked my way through the 90 Quilting, 90 regular, 80 regular, 90 topstitch and 80 topstitch. 90 TS seems to work the best so far. Still some tight bobbin (flat looking on the back) when I move too fast. I have not tried threading through the bobbin arm. Does that increase or just smooth out the bobbin tension?

Comment

longer bobbin stitches with the top thread pulled through.

I've found that with certain threads threading the arm balances things out a bit. It increases the tension in the bobbin without having to mess with the screw. I actually have no problem messing with the screw on the bobbin case, however a lot of folks don't like to and a lot of dealers tell you not to.

90/14 top stitching needles are my needle of choice for everything.

Teri
        Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Thanks for the explanation of the eyelashes and your general hints. I haven't seen the lashes yet but I am sure that I will. Just finished my first quilt on the frame. Learned alot. LQS had a 20% sale today... came home with lots of 90 topstitch needles. I agree they seemed to work the best after all the testing and reading.

Diana

Comment

It is what I call directional tension issues. Most often caused by needle deflection which throws off the precision timing needed when the machine is making a stitch....having said that I have solved that issue by using a titanium needle. I love the GrozBeckert 4.0 SAN - buy them from Superior. The SAN distinction is the key - it stands for Special Application Needle and is made so you can change direction with very little impact or needle deflection.

Give them a try....I swear by them!

regards,
            Linda Thielfoldt

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 31 users online. 0 members and 31 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X