[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

long arm quilter

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote="eileenkny"]I know that Judy and I are not the only LAers out there. Come on people,
    join in!!!

As another of the longarm professionals, I'm amazed at the number of times I am told to 'do whatever!'. As mentioned earlier, you put a lot of time, money and love into the quilt top, make sure you get your taste reflected in the quilting as well. There are treatments in different price ranges to help match your budget and make your quilt special.

For customers who don't know what they want, I will start a dialoge to understand their likes and dislikes. Found out one quilt maker loved the idea of natural elements, like birds and flowers, but didn't want any hummingbirds. It's always good to express preferences to help guide the quilter even if you do want to leverage his/her experience in the business.

Do check with your LQS or fabric store -- many longarm quilters will post business cards or flyers.

Nan K.
    Living Threads
    http://www.livingthreads.net

Comment

Nan, I agree with you on hoping the piecers will let us LAs know what they like and dislike. It's almost painful to me when a client says "oh, just do whatever you like." While I'm flattered that they trust my judgment, I MUCH prefer they give me some ideas of what would make them happy. My order form now has some checkboxes for options so I at least get some basic input with each quilt. At the very very least, tell your quilter:
      1. What you plan to do with the quilt (from a utility quilt for a kid to an heirloom treasure). It's important to know whether you want the quilt to wear well despite looks or look good despite cost.
      2. Whether you want it to be a traditional thin quilt or a puffy comforter-style.
      3. Whether you want cool, warm, bright, or neutral thread (or go right ahead and specify color or variegated.)
      4. If you insist on 100% cotton thread.
      5. About what you are willing to pay.
      6. If you hate anything in particular (...like that hummingbird thing in a previous message.)
      If you don't help your quilter know what to do with your quilt, you have no room to complain about results (other than quality, which should be there at all times.)

I love being a longarm quilter, love my clients, and love their quilts. This is the most fun I've had in years, but communication is part of the package. Collaborating on artistic results is fun, the carrot on a stick that keeps me sewing for other people.
      Living Threads
      http://www.livingthreads.net

Comment

If you are in the UK and are looking for a longarm quilter: Dianne Watson in Scotland is superb!

Lorchen
        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 45 users online. 0 members and 45 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X