[vb_main_1]

How many of us are there?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of us are there?

I'm just curious-how many Gammill owners are out there in TQS land? How long have you had your machine and do you quilt for customers? I'd love to get some discussions going here.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Hi Eileen,
    I've been a Gammil owner for 2 years. I got my Gammill Premier in July '08. I was only going to quilt for myself and also do charity quilts. That didn't last long, :lol: :lol: I have these wonderful quilter friends who begged me to quilt for them. Of course, I couldn't say no and as a result not only did I quilt for them, but began to quilt for their relatives and friends, so in January '09 started my longarm business. Naturally, by May 09' and the MQS show came around I was busy enough that I decided to upgrade to the Gammill Classic Pro. So, long story short, my Classic was delivered in July '09 and I've been a happy camper ever since. It was so fun to meet you at MQX in April this year and to share the quilting of Jack and Sue Garman's quilts. Take care friend.

Woodbury, Minnesota, USA
    Longarm quilter - Gammill Classic Pro

Comment

Hi! I was poking around on the site and saw the Gammill post group. I had my Premier Plus delivered in January 2010. I LOVE IT! I do not quilt for others as I work full time. I do custom quilting on my own quilts and charity quilts. I also belong to the gammill group on yahoo which I recommend if you're not already on there.
      Best Wishes,
      Debbie J.
      Fairfax, VA

Woodbury, Minnesota, USA

Comment

Hi Eileen: I have a Gammill Classic Plus, I have had Granny since 2000. I was fortunate enough to meet you once many years ago at a class at Pat Harrison's home in RI. I have had my business since 2000. I do more customs now than pantos. I rarely get to do my own anymore. But, I guess that is not a bad thing in our business.There are days I love and hate it, but mostly I love it. I have been going now to MQX for the last four years. I have in the last 2 years upgraded to the Statler. My hands have since developed arthritis. The customs are pretty much, most of the time, done free hand. I love doing feathers by hand still. But the pantos have taken a toll. (of course the 15 years I spent previously in retail didn't much help.)
        Boy a discussion group here would be great. I know I look often to see if there is any one here. Thanks for starting one.
        Living Threads
        http://www.livingthreads.net

Comment

Like you, Debbie, I've had to computerize my machine. I went with the IQ because of the price. However, it was the custom that did me in. Having to use rulers, doing all the stippling caused so much pain; my hands have developed arthritis as well.

I'd love to keep a discussion going here-the other lists for longarms are so cluttered.

I've been able to use a lot of different threads but I've never tried metallics or other really fancy threads. I don't like messing with my tension a lot so I guess I've been very timid about it. What do you all do?

How do you attach your quilts to the leaders? I've got 5 sets of zippers but this past MQX I bought the Leader Grips. I haven't had time to install them; I have to take out all the stitching on the leaders from where I attached my zippers. Did anyone else get the Leader Grips?

Comment

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm doing some serious LA shopping. May I ask???? ..... Can you stop a Gammill in place, in the middle of a design, and park it there until you get back? I've heard you can't, that one needs to move the machine off the quilt (to the side or such) when stopping the quilting so that it doesn't drip oil.

Please, I don't mean to cut down, but would like an honest answer.
            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
            working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
            Tired. 
            Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
            Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

I hope it's OK for non-Gammill users to join this party! I have a Handi-Quilter16 with a Pro-Stitcher (computerized system), and am really enjoying it. I don't sew for others, so I know that I can't be much help with those issues, but I think it's always good to share ideas.

Joyce, if that is an issue in your decision about which machine to purchase, I can tell you that the Handi-Quilter only has one place that you oil, and it's the bobbin case, just like your domestic machine. However, it's probably not a good idea to park the machine in the middle of the frame simply because over time the weight of it could possibly cause the frame to sag in the middle. Of course, that would also depend on the frame! So many variables! I was told it's always best to keep the machine at the end of the frame when you are not stitching because that's where the frame is the strongest. If I need to remember where I stopped stitching, I just put a yellow flower-head pin where I need to start back! I also use the pin when I have to change a bobbin to keep from having to look for where the thread stopped!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Joyce, I don't leave my Gammill parked over the fabric when I quit for the day or for any period of time, not only to prevent possibly getting oil on the fabric but also to allow the fabric to relax. I release my pickup roller a bit and remove the side clamps so the fabric/batting layers can relax until I am ready to quilt again. This prevents extra stress on the fabric so there aren't problems with stretching the fabric. Also, if you aren't planning to have a quilting business, but quilt for yourself a mid or short longarm ( 18" or less) would be a good way to go. Actually this size longarm prevents reaching beyond a normal straight standing posture with arms bent at the elbows and not extended too far over the quilt. For most this is the a very comfortable way to quilt with a machine on a frame. Have fun testing out different kinds of systems.

Woodbury, Minnesota, USA

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
                  Like you, Debbie, I've had to computerize my machine. I went with the IQ because of the price. However, it was the custom that did me in. Having to use rulers, doing all the stippling caused so much pain; my hands have developed arthritis as well.

I'd love to keep a discussion going here-the other lists for longarms are so cluttered.

I've been able to use a lot of different threads but I've never tried metallics or other really fancy threads. I don't like messing with my tension a lot so I guess I've been very timid about it. What do you all do?

How do you attach your quilts to the leaders? I've got 5 sets of zippers but this past MQX I bought the Leader Grips. I haven't had time to install them; I have to take out all the stitching on the leaders from where I attached my zippers. Did anyone else get the Leader Grips?
                  Hi Eileen, personally I have use many threads, I even use sulky sliver, only in custom though. I like to use it when there is a lot of color it really makes it shine. I use the pinning on the leaders, I have really never tried anything else. I sometimes float. usually when it is a small quilt.
                  The customs really do take a toll.
                  This will be a great discussion board.
                  On the thread tension, I use the towa guage. It has been my savior. Once you find your number, well, let's just say I am not crying as much. Debbie
                  Living Threads

Comment

Originally posted by she-quilts
                    I'm glad you started this thread. I'm doing some serious LA shopping. May I ask???? ..... Can you stop a Gammill in place, in the middle of a design, and park it there until you get back? I've heard you can't, that one needs to move the machine off the quilt (to the side or such) when stopping the quilting so that it doesn't drip oil.

Please, I don't mean to cut down, but would like an honest answer.
                    Hi Joyce, Your answer is yes, you can stop the machine in the middle of a design. There are always emergencies. But leaving your machine over your quilt is not recommended. It does not matter what machine you have, it is not good practise. #$@% happens. Yes a Gammill can leak oil, but before you start a new day you always clean your tracks and and clean any oily areas. I do this before I turn Granny on for the day. I hope this helps.
                    Living Threads

Comment

Thank you for this good discussion! I really appreciate your replies.

It makes sense about not parking the machine over the quilt for an extended time both in points of the stress on the quilt and the rails. I think b/c I don't have a machine yet, I don't know those finer points.

A long-arm is a big investment for us so even tho I want is mostly for my quilts and because I don't like basting :!: , I will need to use it in a business sense to generate money to help pay for it.

I have a myriad of business questions too but don't want to high-jack this thread either.
                      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                      working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                      Tired. 
                      Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                      Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

I used to leave my machine, needle down, in the middle of the quilt. Can you guess what happened? Yup, I tore the quilt. I completely forgot that the needle was down and tried to move the machine. OMG! :shock: :shock: :shock: I was able to fix it with Misty Fuse and the client was very understanding; especially after I gave her a huge discount.
                        As far as oil is concerned, Gammills do tend to drip, but it's more from the bottom of the machine onto the table rather than onto the quilt.

Comment

Good morning ladies, Gammills are definitely leakers. But just like Eileen says it truly is on the backside of the machine. What kind of side clamps do you have? I have the ones I got with the machine, but I purchased from Quilter's Paradise their side clamps, I am not real happy with them. They are not real strong. Any ideas.
                          Living Threads

Comment

I'm using the ones that came with my machine too. I bought some clamps from the Calico Kitten several years ago. They've got tubing attached to bungee cords which you clamp to the sides of the quilt and then to your old clamps. You pull your old clamps to tighten them. Since I get a lot of quilts that don't have a lot of room on the sides, I can't really use them a lot. I just go with the old ones.

How do you deal with batiks top and bottom? It can cause a lot of thread breakage. I read on one of the longarm lists to spray silicone on the batting or on the top. I'm nervous about doing this so I try everything else first. What do you all do?

Comment

Hi Eileen: I have my machine set to a speed of 50, I use a 18 needle, I use a towa gauge for my thread, and that I keep a very loose tension on the bottom. I do not have to many problems. Since I purchased the towa gauge I think that made a difference for me. I don't know if that helps.
                              Living Threads

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 76 users online. 0 members and 76 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X