[vb_main_1]

Bernina 570QE vs Pfaff QE720

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bernina 570QE vs Pfaff QE720

I'm fairly new to quilting and basic clothing sewing. On my second round of projects so I'm not familiar with all the features these machines (or any) offer. So far I've been sewing on various borrowed machines but want to purchase my own. These are the two models I'm looking at. From reading other forums folks either prefer Pfaff or Bernina. Since I'm relatively new I have no preference on way or the other. I'll learn whichever brand I buy. I'll be making a trip to the store to sew on each of these but really since I'm a beginner that may offer limited insight. Any recommendation or advice between these two machines; which would you choose?

Hi, I see others have read your question but no answers yet

I don't know about these particular machines you mentioned. both brands are very good, as are Janome, Babylock (and brother made in the same factory as Babylock). Other brands like Viking are probably good too, I just know nothing about them.

The most important things are (1) find a good dealer who can support you in your sewing adventures and (2) Find a machine that meets your needs plus a bit more, that is comfortable for you to sew on. Really sit down and work with your chosen machines, bring your own fabric, try threading the machine, selecting stitches, changing presser feet, how easy is the quarter inch foot to use and how accurate is it? How good is the lighting. If you need a free arm, does the machine have that feature? How easy is it to use? Does the machine come with a foot that you can use for free motion quilting, if you want to do that? Are the feet and accessories expensive? Can the dealer service it there? My current machine can do 1.8, 2.0, and 2.5 mm stitch lengths but nothing in between. Previous machines could do 2.2mm which I prefer. But, this wasn't a deal breaker... I just got used to it.

There is no perfect machine, but there are lots of great machines and one that will be right for you.
    Enjoy your search, may you find a winner for you.

Kathy

Comment

I have a Janome 6600 and I love it but I wanted something different and bought the Pfaff 4.2 quilt expression it's a great machine but I have found it difficult to master.
      The Janome lets me choose the speed in small graduations where as the Pfaff 2....2.5 …..3 etc. nothing in between also stitch length and width. I have never felt in control it tells me where as the Janome I tell it what I want.
      So I have reluctantly decided that the Pfaff must go to a new home.
      These are not cheap machines so make sure you are happy with it, sometimes all the bells and whistles are confusing, really try all the machines.
      Good luck , let us know how you get on.
      Anne

Comment

Hi snick7341
        Kathy's list of features are important features and advice. I could not live without the hover feature when stitching around applique. It allows your presser foot to hover about 1/8 inch
        above the fabric for easy pivoting . Needle down function is also important. HelenW

Comment

Thank you for all the great feedback! Kathy- I'll be making a list of your points to take with me to the store for test sewing.

Comment

I read other sewing blogs, and just today on Sewmanju, she posted how she chose between a Bernina and a Pfaff, probably not the models you are considering but it shows how she tested what she wanted to sew. Definitely worth checking out her thought process. She's a garment sewer and so has different things she is looking for, compared to a quilter.

on a former machine, there was what they called a "jog dial" to select the stitches. it drove me nuts, I found I preferred selecting the stitches on screen. The more time you spend trying the machine out, the more confident you will be about your selection.

Kathy

Comment

I have both a Bernina and a Pfaff and i think you should try both at a dealer.
              Pfaff has beautiful decorative stitches. Bernina i prefer for quilting with the walking foot and for freemotion quilting. My feeling is that the Bernina has more piercing power.
              Have fun trying them out and go for the machine that makes your heart sing.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I did try both. For me the Bernina 770QE was the winner and I'm very happy with it so far. Just brought it home yesterday

Comment

Yay! I hope you and your machine have many happy years together.

Comment

Congratulations on your new machine!
                    I hope you have a lot of fun with it, happy quilting!
                    Check out Pfaffs many specialty feet, they are amazing!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 66 users online. 0 members and 66 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X