No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

?omputerized or mechanical sewing machine?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

?omputerized or mechanical sewing machine?

Which is better? I am looking to buy a sewing machine for a beginner (me). Does anyone here have a computerized one and do you have any technical problems with it? Is it any safer to go 'old school' and have mechanical dials?

btw, I'm tossing up between SINGER 4411 (mechanical) and SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 (computerized)

Welcome to the world of sewing!! I have been sewing for most of my life and have many wonderful machines! In my opinion, for a beginner, you don't need a super fancy machine with all the bells and whistles, but you don't want one that will be problematic that will discourage you from sewing. As far as the 2 machines you mentioned, I would not have either one of them. Singer, back in the day, was the best machine out there, but not anymore. I have a Singer 301, (nicknamed the Featherweight's big sister), a simple straight stitch machine, that sews beautifully, and a Singer 401, which was considered top of the line in its day. Both machine machines are from the 50's and they are very reasonable priced and I use and love them both and would highly recommended them. I also have two Bernina's that I love, a Bernina 830 embroidery machine, and a Activia 240, both are wonderful machines.
    If money was a deciding factor, I would look into buying an older Singer from the 50's. They are easily available on Craig's List or E-Bay, you can really get some good deals.
    Or I would buy a good quality, (Bernina, Babylock, Elna) basic computerized machine from a dealer. These machines have features that you can grow into, and will make sewing a pleasure. The other advantage of buying from a dealer is they will give you lessons and support and for a newby sewer you really need that. I would also look into joining a sewing or quilting guild. Guild's are great, because you will meet others out there who truly love to sew and generally will help you and teach you. Good luck on your sewing adventure and post what you decide on.
    Anne

Comment

Ditto what Anne said!

Comment

Anne has given you excellent advice. Do not buy either of those machines. Older mechanicals like she recommended are great for basic sewing. A quality computerized new machine from a dealer would provide extra features. The difference between low end and quality is night and day. We want you to enjoy your sewing time, not be frustrated.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
        North Alabama, USA
        "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Let me just put in my twopence.
          If you don't want to get an older machine - though they're really good for quilting as girls already said - try Janome. I love their machines. I also prefer mechanical over computerized (mine is HD3000) as there are less things to go wrong with it - at least from my experience, mechanical machine trends to be more reliable than an electronic (and cheaper to fix in case something went wrong!).

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          North Alabama, USA
          "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

One of my friends bought 9 (or so) Babylock BL9's for our local hospital. They are mechanical, they are good quality, and they cost $200.

Comment

Oh please don't buy a new Singer. They used to be wonderful, but now they are not. You didn't say what kind of sewing you are going to want to do, and maybe you aren't sure at this stage, but buy the best machine you can afford. Personally, I love the computerized machines. I particularly love Berninas, but I think Baby Locks, Janomes, Juki, are also great machines. I would recommend a Bernina 530 for a beginner. It will take you far into your development as a sewist/quilter. This machine would have solid performance, the stitches and feet that will make your sewing blossom. Make sure you buy it at a sale, and make sure it comes with classes and good dealer support, whichever machine you buy. Some brands have really good machines at the top end, and really poor ones at the low end (Brother, for instance), but the top end are as expensive or moreso than Berninas and Baby Locks. A poor machine can make you decide you can't do this, but it's really your machine. Best wishes on your decision.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Among the products mentioned on the list, which one is the best? https://fitsewing.com/best-lockstitch-sewing-machine/

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

In looking over those machines, you need to figure out what kind of sewing your going to do, 3 of those machines are industrial, do you really need a industrial machine? What kind of sewing do you do? How experienced are you? Those machines don't have any of the features that I consider important, needle up/down, low bobbin indicator, but mechanical machines don't have those at all. Juki is a very good brand, I just don't know anything about industrial machines. As we all agreed before, buy the best machine you can afford, hopefully get dealer support, and also, test drive before you buy.

Comment

Mechanical sewing machines may not have the precision of a fully computerized sewing machine but it is without a doubt, more cost-efficient and affordable as compared to its counterparts from other categories. "Janome 2212 Sewing Machine" is one of the great mechanical machines, especially for beginners. It is capable f undertaking all the basic sewing assignments. You can read more details of this machine here: Best mechanical sewing machines

Comment

Janome are told to be the best mechanical sewing machine. Thank you for advice. This model worth to be considered

Comment

Janome are told to be the best mechanical sewing machine. Thank you for advice. This model worth to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by "sewing_lady" post=144615
                          Let me just put in my twopence.
                          If you don't want to get an older machine - though they're really good for quilting as girls already said - try Janome. I love their machines. I also prefer mechanical over computerized (mine is HD3000) as there are less things to go wrong with it - at least from my experience, mechanical machine trends to be more reliable than an electronic (and cheaper to fix in case something went wrong!).
                          This is true. They are much cheaper and this is a great advantage. Thank you!

Comment

I use Brother XM2701, and I completely satisfied with it. It's easy in use, what is really important for such a beginner as I am.
                            Anyway I agree with @Sewdreamy that taking modern Singer machine doesn't worth it. I've heard that the company was sold to another owner and they changed the way of the production, that has worsened the quality.

Comment

I would always vote for Computerized sewing machines over anything, it makes very precise stitches and potential enough to create highly elaborate stitching designs. also smoother than mechanical machines, most of the Computerized sewing machines come with no foot pedal, except that it has start and end buttons with a speed controlling feature. I have been using Brother Sewing Machine SE600 Sewing and Embroidery Machine for over a year now. this was an amazing sewing machine I have had so far, this particular model has additional built-in features to simplify the design process. Brother SE600 is the best computerized sewing machine with a large color touchscreen, 80 Designs, and 103 Built-In Stitches.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 67 users online. 0 members and 67 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X