[vb_main_1]

I need advice on a serger

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need advice on a serger

My quilting friends have convinced me that I really should have a serger. I have resisted this purchase up until now but am finding more and more projects where having one would be a big help.
    I would like to hear from you serger owners out there - what brand do you have, what has been your experience, was it a good purchase for you, what features are must-haves (I think I want something that threads automatically - is there such a thing?), etc.
    I know this is a quilting site, but I am sure that many of you own and use your sergers and since I trust the advice I get from my TQS friends, I figured this was the first place to go to get lots of good guidance.
    Thanks to all and happy and safe New Year's to you.
    Robin

I have a Bernette For Bernina Fun Lock 007D. I love the fact that I can use either 3 threads (for overcasting edges or creating a beautiful rolled hem) or 4 threads with an integrated safety stitch.

When I bought mine from my Bernina dealer, I went for a guide class and the first thing the instructor did was to pull all the threads out and turn all the dials to weird numbers! PANIC!!!! No, she said, we just need to learn how to thread and oil the machine (there is a helpful diagram right on the machine) and how to set the dials to make it do what we want it to do, depending on the fabrics we are dealing with.

After a couple of hours of hands on sewing and adjusting with her guidance, I left with my serger, confident that I could make it work for me and not be afraid of it!

I highly recommend a guide class, no matter what brand you purchase!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks, Margo. I am a big fan of hands-on classes whenever I buy something mechanical or electronic. I like to keep my life relatively simple and so much is made these days with features that I will never use let alone understand. Glad you like your Bernina; I have several good Bernina dealers nearby.

Comment

For the past 5 years, I have owned a Babylock Imagine serger. My first serger was a White made in the 80s. After using that White for years and years, this one is like owning a Mercedes convertible. I can jump in the car and hit the gas and go! Never had any issues getting a perfect stitch no matter what I threw at it.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
        <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

I have a Bernette Fun Lock 004-D bought in Dec. 1990, that makes 20 years of absolutely problem free serging. I have never had an issue with this machine. And what Margo writes about hers you could have heard me say .
          I want to add one thing I find necessary, the variable fabric feeding so you can sew seams in very stretchable and not so stretchable fabric and they are still flat. Margo, please add the right word, if this is not understandable.
          Good luck in finding the perfect one.

living in Central Denmark
          Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Zarah, it is the DIFFERENTIAL. You set it for woven fabrics or knits and adjust it so that the stitches don't stretch the fabric as it is fed through the machine.

Comment

Recommend getting one with a "cover stitch." I bought my Bernina serger just before that became standard, and I regret it.

These new ones, tho, are the cat's meow!

BethMI

Comment

I am a Bernina fan through &amp; through. Heck, even my blood pumps red! However, back in the day when I was making garments (especially for my people...when they were little...), I bought the TOL Elna. They were the top serger makers then. It is a super machine and has preset tensions for all the various stitches. It is a 5-thread. I had 2 Bernina sergers before this one.

Get a good one... no big box store, but I know you already know that , and take the lessons. Keep us posted!
                Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                Tired. 
                Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

I have a Kenmore, which was a gift. I've used it quite often over the years and it works well, but it's not the machine that I would have chosen for myself. It's very difficult to thread, so I would have chosen a model/brand that is self-threading. Actually, that's my only complaint. I'm guessing mine cost significantly less than a Bernina, so I'm not sure if that feature alone would make a Bernina worth the cost difference.
                  Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                  working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                  Tired. 
                  Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                  Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

I have been intrigued by the self-threading machines because, frankly, I'm not that mechanical minded and would much rather have the machine do it for me. I will be going out on Monday afternoon to look at Bernina and Babylock sergers. I have to take my Bernina in for its annual check-up so it works out well. I still have NO IDEA how much money these things cost. I went to the Babylock website to get an idea of the various models and to find a dealer and nowhere is price mentioned. I think that may be a bad sign.

Comment

A self-threading serger....wow never you know could get one that does that......???????? ops: ops: ops:

geeeee I must update my photo.........

Taree NSW - Australia
                      My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

A big thanks to all of you who gave me such good advice. I checked out both the Bernina and the Babylock machines. Both seemed to be well-made and the two places I went to both offer training for life - anytime I need help, just come on in. I decided to get the Babylock Imagine largely because of the self-threading system and the self-adjusting tension. I was able to buy an almost brand new floor sample at a good discount. Just bought it and I have yet to try it out at home but I'm excited.
                        By the way, for those of you who are in the south/central Wisconsin area, I was treated like a queen at both Pamella's Place in Genessee Depot (Bernina dealer) and Frank's Sewing Center in Waukesha (Babylock). What we would ever do without kind, helpful and knowledgeable local quilt shops.
                        P.S. It's a good thing I just won that Quilt Museum contest because the winnings enabled to me to buy a machine I really couldn't have afforded otherwise.

Comment

Congratulations again, Robin on both the win and the new serger! Have fun with it! I won a little money from AQS with "From The Heart" and also used some of it for a machine, but I already have a serger, so this is the machine I got! Makes a great momento of the year I won a big ribbon!

Comment

Congratulations to both you ladies!
                            What a sweet little machine, Margo.
                            Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                              Congratulations again, Robin on both the win and the new serger! Have fun with it! I won a little money from AQS with "From The Heart" and also used some of it for a machine, but I already have a serger, so this is the machine I got! Makes a great momento of the year I won a big ribbon!

Oh Margo! It looks just like the little machine I had when I was a child that my Mom gave me and I made countless Barbie doll clothes on. Congratulations on your "big ribbon" and your little machine! Cheers

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 73 users online. 0 members and 73 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X