[vb_main_1]

Husqvarna Sapphire 870

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Husqvarna Sapphire 870

I've been a Baby Lock user for years but, when I decided to get a machine with extra room in the opening for machine quilting, I bought the Husqvarna Saphhire, a very nice machine in terms of features, sewing ability, and the extra room when machine quilting is wonderful. However, I can't get used to the lack of a lever to lift the foot! It's controlled using the up/down buttons or by the foot pedal. For me, when piecing, this makes it harder to position the fabric where I want it; eyeballing it or using the needle doesn't cut it. One suggestion that helped was to purchase a new throat plate marked in inches (it comes with metric markings). Does anyone else have a problem with this machine or others that don't have the lift lever? How have you handled the adjustment? Thanks.

I have the Sapphire830 (same arm length but not quite as many stitch variations etc. and was cheaper). I love it. I use the needle down position most of the time and do not really mind that it doesn't have the foot lift feature other than on the screen. Of course this is the first machine that had even that feature that I have used consistently so do not really miss what I never had.

My only complaint about the Sapphire is that no matter how I set the tension, it tends to draw the top thread to the back on some of the decorative stitches. When I complained to the sewing machine man he said it was built that way because most people don't see the back of the stitching as it is inside the quilt sandwich. I tried to explain thread painting and Melinda Bula's style to him and he just didn't get it. Maybe I can win the lottery so I can afford a better machine for that kind of work so for now all my thread painting has to use the same color on top and bottom threads and I do not always want that. But I make do. Ann

Comment

I am 90% sure I am going to be buying a Sapphire 870 and would love some more feedback from those of you who own one to help me make a final decision.

From Dorset, England

Comment

I have the Sapphire 870!! For me it is a dream to piece with. Just thinking about it makes me want to go SEW!!

Comment

I have the Sapphire 850 and absolutely love it! I've had it 2 years now. I also have an older Viking and both machines have been great, maintenance free and durable.

I love all the features of the Sapphire and continue to discover new things all the time. It's a dream to quilt on it with such a big throat. I got risers for a table that I've placed to the left of the machine. I ordered the 24" x 24" plexiglass extension table from the Viking store and with the table next to it I have a wonderful large work area. It's wonderful having the extra light too. So easy to wind the bobbon, I could go on and on!!

Buy one! You'll love it!!! Nancy in Western NY

Comment

Thank you ladies. I thought you might like to know, I ordered one!

From Dorset, England

Comment

Has it arrived yet, Della??

Lorchen
              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I'm thinking of trying to either trade in or sell my Babylock Quest for a Viking. I have the Freesia, which is several years old and I love it. But DH Mike has been using it and he loves it too!! :lol:

I just don't know what to do. The Quest is too heavy for me to take to classes or to my quilting group, and to be very honest, we just haven't bonded. I'd love a Pfaff because of the IDT feature so as to not have to use a walking foot.

I just don't like sewing anymore-not on the Quest.

eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Della,
                  Have you gotten your Sapphire yet? Can you tell me more about it? I tried one at a local dealer and I already know I love it. Just have to sell the Quest. Don't get me wrong, it's a great machine but like I said in my previous post, we don't get along.

Recently, the same dealer that sold me the Quest told me he's discovered that Viking owners are fiercely loyal, more than some other brands. I guess I fall into that category and I shouldn't have strayed.

eileenkny

Comment

My DH got me the Sapphire 870 for Christmas 2 years ago. I love it. My previous machine was a 35 year old Viking 6370 which you still can't pry out of my hands. It was solid, dependable and precise. But, I was also craving newer features like needle down, auto tension and the larger harp area . I looked at the other big three brands but the Sapphire had me sold. You will love the larger harp area and it FMQ like a dream. I still smile every time I sit down at that machine. In fact, I haven't been able to go into my sewing room for over 2 weeks because of preparing for Thanksgiving...I think I am going through withdrawls...I am beginning to twitch :wink: You know where I will be on Monday morning!

Comment

Just realized that my last post didn't really answer the basic question. I don't miss the pressure manual pressure foot lift at all. Took me all of 2 minutes to get used to it being automatic. As for precise placement, I just manually lower the needle exactly where I want the first stitch and go.....I love this machine.

Comment

Yes, I love my 870. I went to a workshop a few weeks ago and took my Janome. It was not a happy reunion. Straight sewing was OK, but I came home and ripped out all the machine quilting I'd done on the Janome and did it over with the Husqvarna. It's the only machine of the four I've owned that I've been truly comfortable machine quilting with.

I love the automatic presser foot and the precision of the machine. The novelty wavy quilting stitches are superb and it's the fastest machine I've ever owned.

But I will add a word of caution. The original 870 I got back in September was a lemon, and the dealer replaced it. There is a Yahoo Group dedicated to Viking Sapphires, called unsurprisingly, Viking Sapphire Owners, and I would recommend you join it and spend some time looking in their archives before you commit. Good machines are truly wonderful, but there are some not so good ones out there. People have had problems with tension, with feed dogs refusing to stay down (my major issue) and with general temperamental behaviour. Educated is forearmed and to be honest, as happy as I am with my machine, if I'd known all this beforehand I may have made a decision to get a different machine, even though I'd wanted one for so long. Happy to chat more about the specifics if you message me, as I don't want to be too negative on a public forum.

From Dorset, England

Comment

Well, I've decided to keep my Babylock, at least for the time being. I'm going to learn to work with it and make it work with me. I came across this saying:

"If you look at what you do not have in life, you don't have anything. If you look at what you HAVE in life, you have everything."

I am so grateful for my life, my family, friends and all of you. I don't need a new machine to be able to sew. I can sew on anything.

Have a great weekend,
                          eileenkn

Comment

I have had my Sapphire for about a year now and just love it. I got used to the pressure foot right away. I also use it more often in needle down and position the fabric where I want it to start and then go. I have nothing negative to say.

Comment

Yes me too love it, I treated myself to the Sapphire 875 Quilt , it arrived January 4th. I adjusted quickly to not having a lifting lever. The instruction manual is a bit basic but I just played with it daily and soon mastered all the stitches. I found the Free motion floating tricky until I used a low speed selection . I preferred the free motion spring action.
                              I too think it is better with needle down all the time. Trying hard to finish my quilt this year to use my new machine for quilting. I am normally a "hand quilter" so look forward to using my new machine for that.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 23 users online. 0 members and 23 guests.

Most users ever online was 162 at 11:28 PM on 05-25-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X