[vb_main_1]

juki ddl-557

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

juki ddl-557

I bought a Juki DDL-557 when we lived in Korea. My question is this...whenever I go over a bunch of seams my thread breaks. It is driving me crazy!! The machine works really well otherwise. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?? AUGH!!!

dawn

Nothing is more frustrating than thread constantly breaking! A number of things can cause that, from a problem with the thread, a problem with the needle, or a problem with the tension, a problem with timing. First, make sure your machine is very clean - no dust bunnies under the throat plate! Make sure it's threaded properly. Also make sure the bobbin is wound properly. If you suspect the thread is old or deteriorated from sun or age, try a new thread. Make sure your needle is correct for the size of thread you are using, and that the needle is not damaged, dull, or rough. Another thing you can check, which worked like a charm for me a while back: the throat plate hole can become roughened, probably from needles breaking or going over pins. A friend taught me to use a narrow piece of emery cloth to polish up that needle hole - particularly if it is wide for zigzagging. (This wouldn't work for round hole for only up-and-down movement of the needle.) If you do not have emery cloth available, you can whittle down a common cardboard fingernail file to the appropriate size, and polish out any rough spots in the metal with that. Wish I could draw you a picture. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Check the size of your needle. If the needle hole is small, the thread going through the small hole and several layers of fabric can stress and break . Loosen tension a bit and use larger size needle.

this is how I learned why my thread was breaking when I was machine quilting.

Comment

You guys are so wonderful!! Thanks for the suggestions...I tried them all. I bought some spare parts before we left Korea so that I'd have them on hand just in case. I switched out the throat plate, changed needles twice, changed thread three times, changed needle position, checked underneath the machine by lifting it up (no easy feat as the thing weighs a ton) and played with the tension When I lifted it up I found a bit of packing material lodged in there. I tried sewing a bit after that and it worked pretty good. Maybe that was it. If it keeps acting up I may just bite the bullet and take it to the repair man. SOB!!

Thanks again for your suggestions!! Quilters are the best!!
        dawn

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 24 users online. 0 members and 24 guests.

Most users ever online was 162 at 11:28 PM on 05-25-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X