[vb_main_1]

Question about a Singer...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about a Singer...

Saw a Big Lots ad in the paper today. They're having a one day only sale on heavy duty, made for schools, Singer Sew and Serge machines. They're only $199 and there will be a demonstrator there. Anyone have experience with these machines? It sounds good, but ya never know! Any thoughts?
    Sherry in S MS where I can't believe I'm considering another machine. :roll:

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

I've had several Singer's over the years and each one had problems. I now have a Brother and absolutely love it. But, I know people who love Singer's.

Comment

I had one of those and I had it for about 15 years and only went to the Dr's 2 x it was a good deal Happy

Comment

I have just one word of cautioin. Quite a few years ago, I went to one of those special deals in a store. Bought it and once I got home and played a while decided it wasn't really what I wanted. I went back the store and found out that the people were basically traveling across country to sell the machines. I ended up having to mail the machine back to Texas. I did get a full refund, but it was just a hassel not being able to simply take it back to the store.

So if you do buy, make sure it is really what you want.

Cheryl

Comment

Thanx y'all. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow. I certainly don't need another machine tho!

Comment

Sherry

I Love my Singer Sewing Machines, I have two older antique Singer Sewing Machines that still stitch like New, Both are over 50 years old. I have no idea on the Singer Sewing Machines to this date, the antiques were made with cast iron metal back in the day. I think companys got cheap on thier materials in making the machines today, Metal has been placed by plastic. If I could of had a choice in materials even though thier heavier I would chose metal over plastic any day. Kathys has afew scratches she not to happy with from pins in her quilts hitting against the side of the machine. You could cover the scratches with a tiny dab of paint on metal, Oh well. "I just hope my Janomes are built to last as long as the Singers I have."

Comment

I love my metal machines. I have a Pfaff 360 and and a 1948 Featherweight. Use them both all the time! I'm gonna pass on the sale machine. I think I'll go fabric shopping instead! :wink:
              Sherry

Comment

My first sewing machine came from one of those sales. It's a workhorse that I've been using for over 20 years. I had very few problems-nothing that took major fixing. It's a 901 or something like that. Supposed to be used for home ec type classes.
                I'd say go for it.
                Eileen

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I have been reading this thread with interest and haven't commented. I have seen those ads for years (since my daughter was in HS and she is forty) There must be a market or they wouldn't be still selling them. My only concerns would be does it do what you need and can you get service because the seller will be gone. If you can answer those questions positively and you need a workhorse, I would go for it ------Can you imagine the abuse those machines get in the schools? Also why not call a local high school or two and see what kind of machines they have, if they are the same ones I would be more inclined to buy one but that is just me (cheap is my middle name)

Ann

Comment

Your metal sewing machines are the best! The one sewing machine in your photo looks like a really nice machine.
                    Fabric shopping sounds like "Fun Fun Fun"! Enjoy yourself and let us know what you come home with!
                    Hugzzz,Kathy

Comment

I teach sewing at JoAnn Fabrics and we just got new classroom machines and they are Singers. I'm guessing they are pretty cheep but they are great machines! They have only about 5 different stitches and a free-arm. Pretty much all I need to teach beginning sewing. I haven't had a single problem and you know how much abuse they take! Easy to wind the bobbin, change feet, etc. Surprisingly much better than the Vikings I had been using which caused so many frustrations (of course these were well used and never maintained).

Nancy in NY

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 139 users online. 0 members and 139 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X