[vb_main_1]

Bernia 820 QE needs new computer board/boards

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bernia 820 QE needs new computer board/boards

my 820 is 7 years old..have used it off and on...over this time period. Do not sew/quilt daily. Recently my machine started going wonky/stitches not adjustable/ sewing only few stitches and stops...Took it to dealer and it is now on it's way to Bernina USA for repair. Dealer said it's circuit board/or maybe 2....ugh.....Of course it's not covered by warranty so it's all out of pocket for me. I am very disappointed in this machine.... Is it time to dump this machine after i get it repaired and trade to another brand? Has anyone had their circuit boards replaced and if so.....are you happy after the repairs? Any comments/ suggestions appreciated.

I have a Bernina 730 E that is 10 years old this year. Her name is Sybil. :evil:

I have used my machine a lot. I take her in once a year for cleaning and repair. Sybil hasn't been the most fun machine to use, she is very persnickety and it has caused me a lot of frustration. Last summer she started smoking. I took her in and Mr. Fix It said one of the boards was gone. The board was about $350.00 and it took about a month to get Sybil fixed. I did what you are doing now. Is it worth fixing? In my case, $350.00 was worth it to get her fixed. I couldn't buy another machine of that quality for that much. I am thinking of buying a new Bernina, but that isn't planned for awhile. Since Sybil got her new board she works pretty good.

Hope this helps! geneva
    Geneva

Comment

My 820 is about the same age..moderate use..behaving much as Zezee describes, again!...When the weather improves I'll take it in
      for service. If they say a new board or two is needed....Well...she's been a lemon and a huge pain from the begining
      and I will kiss her(and my money) Goodbye !!

Comment

I had a 730E also. I was very disappointed in that machine. I love to quilt, but also bought this machine for the embroidery module to use for garments for my grandchildren. After consistent trouble, I had to replace the circuit board also. If I had it to do over, I would never have replaced the board and just taken the plunge and traded it in. I finally traded it in for a 580E, which doesn't have all the features of the 730, but when I turn it on, it works just beautifully. I would not recommend the 730 to anyone. I thought I had gotten a lemon, but maybe it's that model period.

Comment

I have just handed over my Bernina 730E to the dealer for spare parts. It was 10 years old and when it died recently I took it in for an estimate of repair and that was going to be
          GBP 900 + VAT for the boards and then labour on top. I have used the machine a lot but never liked it so I must admit I was quite happy to let it go. I have changed brands because I bought a stand-alone single needle machine a couple of years ago to get bigger hoops than the 730E offered and liked it a lot so have bought a sewing-only machine same brand that does not offer all the decorative stitch features that the Bernina does but although I use decorative stitches a lot decided I would be willing to compromise on and get a cheaper machine that still offers a lot of nice features and I would not feel so bad if I didn't like it and traded it in. Turns out I love it just as I love the embroidery machine.
          Having been a Bernina owner (and still am as I have a 35 old mechanical Bernina) that thought only Bernina makes super machines I have now realised that there are lots of brands that offer really good machines these days so it is worth trying out lots after making a must-have-feature list and a list of like-to-have that can be compromised on.

Good luck with your 820 and whatever you choose to do when it has been diagnosed
          M

PS I should mention I had already had had one board replaced in the 730E while it was still under warranty and I think these days with so many computer components inside our machines we cannot expect them to last for 50+ years like mechanical machines do.

Comment

Gosh--what a pain!! I have a 730E and an 830E and I just LOVE both of them. They are both set up--one for embroidery and one for sewing/quilting. Both are wonderful "work horses" and get used almost daily for extended periods.

I sure hope you can get a machine that works for you!!!

Comment

My 730 e also had a board replaced. I attributed the failure to our "dirty" power grid. My husband is an electronics tech and he says the power grid has fluctuations. At the same time that my machine had issues, my Oliso iron failed. Make sure your machines are also plugged into a surge suppressor get the best one you can afford. Do not use a multi-strip. Although they have a similar appearance, it does not do the same task. The U.S. grid is old and there are issues. On Kauai we used to have brown outs and surges all of the time. It has improved since it is now a cooperative.

Comment

Thank you for this posts it really helped me

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 65 users online. 0 members and 65 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X