[vb_main_1]

It's A New Day! to be Fit and Trim

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's A New Day! to be Fit and Trim

I have been writing in my blog about my 2008 Goal to lose weight and become more fit and I have gotten so much support from so many people I thought I would start a topic and see where it goes.

In January, after the orthopedic doctor drained fluid from my knee and told me the best thing I could do to prevent my arthritis from getting worse and ending up having to have knee surgery and maybe knee replacement was to lose weight. In addition I have high blood pressure and my mother is diabetic. I debated joining Weight Watchers and Curves but gave myself a month to get started doing it on my own.

Through weekly updates via my blog since November 2007 I have lost 26 pounds and I am walking on my treadmill 30 minutes a day or about 1.3 miles. When I started walking I did good to do 20 minutes and less than a mile. I am slowly making progress but I know some of you fellow quilters have accomplished so much more that what I have so far. The encouragement I have gotten here has kept me on track and I would like this topic to be a place to encourage each other and share tips on things that have worked for you.

I don't eat near as much fast food and when we eat out I save half for lunch the next day. I am eating more fruit for snacks. I very seldom drink a Pepsi and I used to drink 2 a day. Simple small changes see to work the best for me. What works for you?

The three biggest things that have worked for me so far are: 1) A support group (and I'm glad I chose you all over Weight Watchers or Curves - more $$s for fabric); 2) Food Diary where I record what I eat each day; 3) exercising every day.

Sandy in TN

I've been working on losing weight for about 3 years now--have dropped from 238 at my highest to 176 this morning. I weigh myself every Sunday morning, and take my measurements at the same time. Since gravity has not been kind to me, I measure my bust with the same bra on each week, LOL. I also measure waist, hips, upper arm, thigh, calf, and ankle and record them, and add them up each week to see if there's been a loss. Since starting out, I've lost more than 30 inches off the measurements. I have ups and downs--when we go on a trip, I always put some on, and then have to struggle for weeks to lose it. Over Christmas last year, in one week I gained 10 pounds, and it took two months to get it off, so this year, I will not break dieting. No Christmas cookies will enter the house--I'm a carb addict, and have to keep myself under 20 grams of carbs in a day to lose weight. I have done very well on Atkins. I take supplements to make sure I don't go short on nutrients. I mostly eat meat, eggs, low carb vegetables, and keep Atkins Advantage and Atkins Endulge bars around at all times to avoid temptation, since I have not one, but 28 sweet teeth. When we go out to dinner, I take a bar along so that when others are having dessert, I can, too, and not feel deprived. I usually limit fruit to an apple or some strawberries once a week or so--any more than that and I don't lose, or gain back a pound. For me, taking the measurements on Sunday is also important, since sometimes my weight stays the same due to some fluid retention, but the measurements drop a little, or vice versa--my weight might be down a pound due to dehydration, but my measurements are up a bit. The two together give a more accurate picture.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

Pat - That is a great idea to take measurements. I had thought about it but never started. I weigh on Friday mornings and I know some week I just know I have lost a lot of weight because my clothing feel much looser and then I get on the scales and maybe I have lost one pound or maybe not any. I am going to take some baseline measurements and see how that goes. You have really accomplished a lot. Sandy

Comment

This is a good topic for us since our chosen hobby is so sedentary. I have battled the weight gain over the years and have tried every diet known to man or woman, and I gain it all back each time plus more. My doctor tells me to lose weight so my blood sugar will come down and get more exercise. I have started water aerobics and I do walk Cody every morning for 30 or 40 minutes. But that is about it. I love to eat and am trying to drink tea instead of soda. I limit myself to one soda a day. I have to get serious about this or as my DS who is an RN says concerning diabetes, " Mom, you don't even want to go there." It really is a life style change and I have got to get motivated. I am proud of you both for sticking to your new life style changes. Judy in AZ

Comment

This is a great topic!! I have had a weight problem for a long time. And I think this will help. You gals are doing great, I wish I was doing as good but I am comfortable with my progress. I am a chocoholic! My DH and Dr. have been after me to loose weight for quite awhile. I am not very active because of back issues and everything that I like to do is very sedentary. Diabetes and cholesterol are also an issue. I have figured out a routine for meals that works for me. If I jump around and have different food for meals all the time, I get off track and it is hard to keep calorie count, etc. For breakfast I usually have oatmeal, which I measure. For lunch I usually have CHOCOLATE Slim Fast with soy milk, it's low fat, and I have my chocolate fix. If I need an afternoon snack I have a few crackers. For dinner I will have a normal helping of whatever my DH cooks. Protien, some carb, low fat, vegtables, salad and for desert I have low fat & calorie CHOCOLATE frozen desert. We are really watching the fat and sugar intake. No cookies or other sweets in the house except my husbands candy stash. He has always been tall and thin. I have been taking Icelandic kelp for leg cramps and it seems to help with sweet chocolate cravings too. I am losing a pound now and then and am happy with it. Whenever I have dieted and lost lots of weight, I have always gained back my weight plus more!! You are right, we need to change our lifestyle. I always weigh myself every morning. If I have gained a pound or two, it tells me I need to watch more closely what I eat. It helps remind me to keep on track. Of course, when we go out to eat or are on vacation I don't have exactly this menue. But I do try to keep within the same range of calories and such. Keep up the good work!!

Comment

Sandy, a great topic. I have been on the roller coaster most of my life. Now I am trying to do a more permanent weight loss for my knees. This time I have been trying to do it on my own, though I have done Weight Watcher's in the past. I tend to do better eating cheese and chocolate as treats and less well with chips and cookies. Right now I'm giving a lot of credit to Pilates. There is a "mat class" at the local gym that does not require any equipment and I've been going 1-2 times per week. It makes me feel so much better, will hopefully prevent me from getting "dowager's hump", helps my knees and also seems to be helping me lose weight! I encourage anyone who can try it, even through a video, to do it.

Comment

Love the topic. I got a scare over a year ago when the company I work for required a health screening. My cholesterol was way up and my body mass index was embarrasing. Blood sugar was OK but I could see the writing on the wall. I way limited my fat intake and was able to lower my cholesterol 56 points. I have been walking on the treadmill daily. What really bugs me is that with all of that I have only lost 7 pounds. I am so willing to join a TQS support group.

Comment

I have all ways had trouble with my weight I got to 250 and could not find any thing to help my mba was 47 I had high blood presure and high blood sugar so I look at Gastrick by pass it took a year to make up my mind and them I went to my obgyn for my yearly vist he said if I did not do some thing I would be dead in 5 years so I have 6 kids and a great husband so I went for the surgary on 1-29-07 I change my life for the good I have lost 125 and feel great my Dr.s said I have added years to my life I also have Lupus and RA I am off all but 1 of my meds for the RA and lupus I was asked if I was glad I did it and that is yes I wish I would not have waited a year Happy

Comment

Happy - That is wonderful. Isn't it great that they have such surgeries now. Good decision, keep up the good work. Life is worth living well. :lol:

Comment

I have a friend in Canada--she and I have to report to each other on Sundays. I guess I will also try to remember to report here on Sunday. It's a help to keep me out of stuff I shouldn't eat if I know I have to report every week.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

I think me making the commitment to update my progress here every Friday has kept me on track as must as anything. When I started I don't think I realized anyone would take note but they did and I had to stick with it. Best commitment I ever made (other than my marriage and family).

HappyCampbell – I think what you did is wonderful but when the doctor tells you that you are killing yourself it makes us think about what is important. I am so happy the surgery was successful and you have many extra years with you family and to quilt.

GloriaH – I had to have a physical for life insurance last fall and it scared me. I just knew I was going to be turned down because of my weight and how embarrassing to have to put my weight on my company insurance application every year when they are trying to get better rates. What do you do when you are on the treadmill? My treadmill is so loud I could not hear the television and I did not have earphone for it so I purchased a portable DVD player and I am watching my recordings of Simply Quilts. Almost makes me look forward to walking.

Judy – you are correct about quilting being sedentary, especially hand quilting. I try to remember to get up and walk around every 30 minutes or so. My sewing room is now in the basement so I do have to walk up and down the stairs sometimes several times because what I need if often by my chair upstairs. My doctor would like for me to swim but there isn’t a pool nearby so I am walking instead. My mother has diabetes and you do not want to go there. My dad had a sweet tooth and his blood sugar was perfect and he wanted sweets everyday and that did not help mom control her blood sugar. I am down to maybe one 8 ounce soda a week. I am on water and diet tea.

Carolyn – It sounds like you are on a plan and sticking to it. I wish the pounds came off as quick as they went on but they don’t. I am averaging a little under a pound a week but long term I think that is better that starving myself and losing a lot and then I am back to my old eating habits and gain it all back. I have done that so many times in the past.

Ruth – I have knee problems to and I was afraid the treadmill would make it worse but I think it is helping. I don’t have the pain and stiffness everyday that I did so I’m hoping it is getting stronger and I won’t have as many problems.

Pat – I like you measurement idea. I am going to do it but I am going to password that file.

Comment

Happy,
                        It's wonderful that you've been able to find what works for you! Congrats on the loss.

Sandy,
                        You are an inspiration. But even your weekly updates didn't do it for me. I'll be very happy to have this forum. I just hope we can keep it going. So many topics seem to die a quiet death.

Carolyn,
                        Your hubby sounds a lot like mine. Mike's not tall but he's an athlete. He runs 5K races for fun, and with the gas prices going so high, he just got a bike and is building up the stamina to ride the 10 miles to work. He can't understand why I was able to quit smoking back in 1990 but I can't keep the weight off. Believe it or not, I used to work for Weight Watchers!!!

I'm actually disgusted with me right now so I hope this will work.

eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

It is hard work and it doesn't get any easier. I was so happy Sunday morning when I put on a smaller size pair of jeans and they felt good. I did not have to lay on the bed to zip them. That is the second size I have gone down but this morning when I put them on they didn't close quite so easy.

My worst time of day for wanting to snack is from the time I get home from work until we eat dinner. I get of work at 2:30 and on the days I don't go to the nursing home I am home by 3 p.m. Those two hours are very difficult. My husband always has ice cream and donuts on hand and they don't tempt me but yesterday he brought home a slice of someone's birthday cake and I halfed it with him. I like the little rice cakes, especially the carmel and B-Q. I keep fruit but it's not my first choice for a snack. Right now I have a dish of watermelon and cataloupe on hand in the refrigerator.

I did do my 30 minutes on the treadmill and upped the speed and did 1.4 miles to try to burn off the cake.

Sandy

Comment

Hi everybody, I have to add my 2 cents worth. Same story, seems I've been struggling with this issue since I was 12 yrs old, and have tried many, if not all, of the diets out there, one way or another. Last summer I did manage to lose 30 lbs; I thought it was because I was eating better and gardening (more exercise); also, my appetite had dropped. However, it turned out to be a malignant kidney tumor! (Not a recommended weight loss plan). Now I've regained half of that. I have mild diabetes and arthritis, but knees seem to be good yet. Anyway, my one tip (I got from the dietitian who is helping me with the diabetes) was to greatly increase my fiber intake, as my cholesterol was somewhat high and triglycerides were high. So now I seldom eat white bread, eat a very high fiber cereal most days for breakfast, switched to Smart Balance spread instead of butter, and my favorite snack is a high fiber protein bar by Kashi. They taste great and really add a lot of fiber without added sugar! I don't eat a lot of fruit, either, because of the sugar content. But when I do, I choose the whole fruit over juice. My favorite beverage is coffee; when I need something sweet or chocolate, I look for the sugar-free products, particularly sugar-free hot chocolate. I'm happy to report the diabetes II is under control.

Comment

Linda that is good with by pass I can't have sugar or soda I do not miss it they have alot of sugar free things now and my youngest would eat that first Happy Thanks for all of you that support us with weight prombles

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 46 users online. 0 members and 46 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X