[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Quilting with disabilities

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be kinder than necessary, For everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle….

Or as Plato puts it:

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

You've said it perfectly, Margo. Thank you.

What else can you do for arthritis besides Advil? I'm beginning to have pain in my right hand joints, in addition to the fibro and nerve pain. Thank goodness I'm a lefty . I just don't want to take more pills.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Try a hot wax bath. They are used in physio to warm the joints, tendons and ligaments... and it feels great, too.

Comment

Found something interesting at the Classical Guitarists Convention. It's called "Handmaster Plus". The guitarist that I saw with it uses it to strengthen his fingers and also said that it works the muscles in his arms. I finally googled it and found out that they also use it in physical therapy. It comes in three different strengths. I found it cheaper by googling it than I found it on Amazon.
          Frances

Comment

Thanks, ladies. I'll look into these.

Comment

Dear Sisters;

Happy New Year to all! I am new to this site but thought I might add some things I have learned as a disabeled quilter. I have learned the following;

Plan a time to quilt each day ;

Time how long you are able to work on a project-don’t push it - even if it is only a 1/2 hour a day every day that ends up being over 3 hrs. a week;

I have found it better to decrease the length of time I quilt each day then to quilt too long one day and spend the next three days unable to quilt at all due to pain.

Use alternating ice packs, heating pad ( NO MORE than 20 mins. each) on affected arm or wrist areas after quilting;

Quilt before taking pain medicine;

Osilo (sp?) has an iron that you do not have to lift up and down; it lifts automatically after your hand is off the handle (Expensive but will save your hand and wrist from over extension ; I will have to save up money to purchase one but believe it will be worth it)

Get a good chair to quilt in; good back support;use a round pillow behind your lower back.

Make sure you adjust height of ironing board to a good height for your arm angle;

I am just completing a quilt from a log cabin pattern from a “Quilt in a Day” by Eleanor Burns; that has taken me seven years; I don’t think it matters that many quilters could have done this quilt in a weekend or even to completed it in a day. When it comes down to it , what difference does it make that it has taken me years to finish? We both still have a completed quilt to enjoy!

Express yourself in your quilts, don’t be afraid to change the pattern as you go along or adjust the pattern to your ability; but also don’t be afraid to try something new to challenge yourself- it’s great to surprise yourself. You will never know if you don’t try.

If you have a few quilts under construction at once in different stages you can do what you feel you can do for that day, cutting, piecing or quilting, designing, etc.

If you find you are unable to do something without a great deal of difficulty, keep trying different ways to accomplish the task; DON’T GIVE UP

When not quilting; read over instructions or read a quilt book (by Alex Anderson- all of hers are fabulous & still for sale!!); reviewing even the basics may solve a problem you are having!!

Be proud of your accomplishments! Post your quilts on this site; don’t be shy!

Remember to enjoy the process & focus on what you are able to do rather then what you are not able to do ! I know I may never be able to make a blue ribbon quilt but the people I give my quilts to don’t care in the slightest! I love quilting and wouldn’t give it up for anything!
              I hope this may be of some/any assistance or encouragement to someone out there!
              RiverOwl :lol: :lol:

Comment

Barbara, thank you very much, you have really given me some food for thought as well as reminding me of things I knew but had forgotten.

I think that quilting is so therapeutic for us all.

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

May I add to your excellent suggestions, Barbara:

Don't be shy to ask other quilter's for help. For example, till she moved to another country I met up with a lovely quilter now and then. I just spent a few hours rotary cutting the shapes for her next couple of quilts for her. She was able to use a machine for short periods of time but had not enough strength in her fingers for rotary cutting.

Lorchen
                  From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Barbara,
                    Thank you for the insights. I have to ask-why pain meds after quilting? I usually take them before in order for my hands to work.

Comment

Eileen, I don't know Barbara's reasons, but some pain medications have side effects that you don't want when quilting. You may not have as much feeling in your hands as you do without the meds. and/or you may feel drowsy. I work with a disabled lad in school who is on a very strict regime of pain medication, but when he has exams we stop them a couple of hours before the exam, and I'm ready with the next dose the moment he finishes.

Comment

Interesting, Lorchen. I've never thought of that. I take my meds first thing in the morning with my vitamins. They help the RSD, fibro and arthritis so I can work.

Comment

Eileen, if it works for you, then that's the way to go. Our bodies are all different and we need to listen to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                            May I add to your excellent suggestions, Barbara:

Don't be shy to ask other quilter's for help. For example, till she moved to another country I met up with a lovely quilter now and then. I just spent a few hours rotary cutting the shapes for her next couple of quilts for her. She was able to use a machine for short periods of time but had not enough strength in her fingers for rotary cutting.

Lorchen
                            I think this is an excellent suggestion. I was particularly touched by your willingness to help a fellow quilter with her rotary cutting. I broke two bones in my right hand over 2 years ago which makes me extremely grateful that I am able to do everything I did before. My hand is just not as strong and limber as it once was. I have a little bit of difficulty with that very chore. It occurred to me that there may come a time when I'll just have to break down and buy and Accu-Quilt Go. I'd certainly do that before I'd give up my most favorite pastime.

My addition to that wonderful list Riverowl composed is to make sure I have tools that will make the work possible or easier.
                            Lois

Comment

Lois, you still have to turn a handle on the Accuquilt, and you would be restricted to the shapes that the company produces. Postage back and forth between England and the US would make it an expensive solution, but I bet there are TQS members here who'd be willing to do your cutting for you. You'll just have to speak up if it becomes too much.

Comment

My disability was temporary, but made me more sensitive to what others have to go through and appreciatative of what my hands can do. I am also more cognizant of the fact that I do have arthirtus in my hands and the condition tends to progress as sure as we have birthdays every year. Thinking of ways to be productive for the longhaul. Lois

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 43 users online. 0 members and 43 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X