[vb_main_1]

Freezer paper

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marianne-is-sewing
    The freezer paper you get in the US is banned for food use in Europe due to risk to health when used with fatty foods (leakage of harmful chemicals into the fat). We have not been able to buy this kind of food wrap for the past 15-20 years. Maybe the US have caught up now and decided to change the "ingredients" in the wax layer? When the change came in here the food paper we could buy no longer worked for appliqué.
    I only ever managed to buy one roll of the stuff before the change came in. I have since had to buy Reynolds at quilt show at a highly inflated price so not a cheap "tool" outside US

Marianne
    That is curious, because I have never been aware of this type of food wrap being available in the UK, until I heard about it through quilting, and then it was suggested that the wrappers of blocks of printer paper could be used. Certainly it is not something that my mother used either. :?

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
      That is curious, because I have never been aware of this type of food wrap being available in the UK, until I heard about it through quilting, and then it was suggested that the wrappers of blocks of printer paper could be used. Certainly it is not something that my mother used either. :?
      Way back in the 90ties when I did C&G embroidery Lakeland Plastic sold freezer paper that could be used like Reynolds' can. We were also told about the printer paper wrapping paper but it was not all the same so that was hit and miss. Somebody discovered the Lakeland Plastic paper and we all bought it. It disappeared quickly though. Butchers and the dairy shops used to use some sort of waxed paper when I was a kid for meat, cheese and butter. Today you get everything wrapped in the dreaded cling film which is one of my pet-hates :x
      Marianne

Comment

Just a belated comment -- the shiny side of freezer paper is actually a thin plastic coating, not wax. I suppose the heat of the iron melts the plastic just enough to cause it to stick to the fabric. No, it doesn't seem to stick quite as well as it used to...maybe the plastic layer is thinner than it used to be? Or is this my imagination? Who knows??!

Comment

our local grocery store chain has their own brand of freezer paper and it definitely thinner and has less plastic coating than the name brand. I think the only people using that freezer paper are mom's (for kids to paint on as the paint won't go through and it's cheap) and crafters like us quilters (for it's sticking to fabric when ironed feature). I like the Reynold's Wrap heavy duty freezer paper better than the reynolds regular freezer paper. And I like both renold's version's much more than the store brand. All Freezer paper is not created equal.

I have been thinking of buying it on the big roll from uline. but I don' know how heavy the plastic layer is. Anyone know about this stuff? http://www.uline.com/BL_1959/Freezer-Paper?pricode=WF718&AdKeyword=%2Breynolds%20%2Bfre ezer%20%2Bpaper&AdMatchtype=b&gclid=CK_mzMXY3sQCFY RCaQodTDoAGg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have also found out that the heavier stuff is called "Locker Paper" and that is what butcher's buy from their suppliers.

Comment

I bought some of this from Nancy's Notions. It's a lot heavier and does stick well. Plus, it's sized to print on. http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/cut+rite+heavy+duty+freezer+paper.do

I really kind of wonder if Reynold's will find their sales dropping dramatically since they changed the formula. I don't use freezer paper for the freezer...not sure how many people do any more.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Marianne you can get it from quilting shops or Amazon over here easily http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=freezer+paper&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=32178248409&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=& hvnetw=g&hvrand=2391816411091117361&hvpone=&hvptwo =&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7wbr531fob_e

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I bought a extra large roll of freezer paper several years ago and never had any luck with it. Then I think I was watching a show featuring Libby Lehman (?) and she mentioned using artists' palette paper. I gave it a try and was extremely pleased with the results, especially being able to use a pattern multiple times before it wouldn't stick any longer. I bought a package of 9" x 12" sheets that can easily be cut down to printer size but it is available in bigger sizes. I'm not aware of a down side with this material.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 64 users online. 0 members and 64 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X