[vb_main_1]

Is it art or not?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it art or not?

Our show committee was discussing whether convergence quilts are art quilts or not. Personally, I believe they are but another member said they're not because they are not original designs of the maker.
    What are your thoughts?

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

In my mind, it's an art quilt if you can't wrap yourself up in it! LOL! But really, the fabric selection, placement, possible embellishment, size of strips, it's all individual design. Now whether or not it's prize-winningly original or spectacular, that's for the judges to decide, but I think they deserve entry... and that's not to say you couldn't also have convergences in a bed-quilt category, they just don't tend to be so large...
    my 2 cents, Florence

Comment

I guess we would have to ask Ricky for the definitive answer but as far as I am concerned they are art quilts. As for not being an original design, I have seen quilts older than Ricky's that are made with a similar idea just not as well formulated that could be called convergences because of the way they are made. But also a convergence is not a pattern per se. It is a method or a concept. For example in a harmonic convergence which is the most familiar one, the color and pattern choices are up to the designer. And the width of the strips and the sequence in which they are cut is always up to the designer. And then after the actual construction part you can make a number of other design decisions that add your personality to the quilt. borders, plain or pieced; applique some a lot none; which side is up etc etc. All of those individual decisions make it an art quilt in my mind.

But to be my own devils advocate, why not a bed quilt with convergences. In fact I am making one now that has 12 in blocks and some of those blocks are convergences or chantelles It will be a reversible quilt with a pattern on each side. now since none of the blocks in this quilt are traditional pieced blocks is the quilt a bed quilt or an art bed quilt? AND DOES IT MATTER?

ENOUGH PHILOSOPHY FOR TONIGHT -- I JUST MADE MY OWN BRAIN TIRED. ANN

Comment

Thanks, Florence and Ann.
        The only reason I was asking was because the show committee was discussing judging categories. Again, I'm swimming against the tide with these ladies but they did like the Mickey DePre idea-so she's coming to be a speaker and to teach a workshop in September.
        eileenkny

Comment

I don't think of mine as an art quilt but as a contemporary quilt. I just made a quadruple convergence (that is 4 convergences all the same and joined with a four inch sashing between, and with borders and flower appliques turned it into a king size bed quilt, because that is what my daughter wanted when she saw the one convergence.

Comment

Dorene,
            Do you have any pictures of your Quad Convergence? Can you put one in your profile?
            eileenkny

Comment

Only 20 people have voted, even though lots more viewed the poll. This is totally anonymous so please vote on this topic.
              I'd like to let the show committee know yes or no.
              Thanks,
              eileenkny 8)

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
                Dorene,
                Do you have any pictures of your Quad Convergence? Can you put one in your profile?
                eileenkny
                Thanks for asking. When I deliver it to my daughter in a week or so, will take a picture with her digital (better than mine) and post it.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19 users online. 0 members and 19 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X