[vb_main_1]

Patchwork in Spain

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patchwork in Spain

Dear hubby and I are finally taking a trip to Spain in the spring. Main stops are Madrid, Toledo, Sevilla, and Granada. I've found a few quilt shops through online searches but it's hard to tell if stopping in would be worthwhile. The websites I've found show mostly Moda fabrics - widely available here in the US. I'm wondering if there are Spanish fabrics and/or patterns available.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Happy quilting,
    Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Wendy, if you go to 'Features' and then 'Search for a Member', you can enter the name of the cities you are going to visit, and send members who live their a message through their profile. Probably the best way of finding out what's available and - hopefully - typically (or traditionally) Spanish. You'll find all fabrics will be more expensive in Europe than in the US. You will find lots of inspiration for projects though. I'm thinking tiled walls in Granada, floors in churches everywhere. There are a lot of 'Moorish' patterns all over the old buildings. I also seem to remember some lovely metal work that was made in Toledo. You'll have an amazing time!
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I have just remembered that I have a book called "From Spain With Love" by Roberta Cardew from C & T Publishing. Roberta Cardew lives in Spain. May be worth looking for. I also seem to remember that she had a blog.

Comment

Although I visited a different part of Spain - Galicia (top left hand corner) and had a guide (a good friend who moved over there) We didn't managed to find hardly anything in the way of fabric shops. I remember 2 but they were mainly dressmaking fabrics (pretty wowser fabrics, but still dressmaking not 'quilting') and a (very) small haberdashery shop - good for ribbons/braids etc.

As Lorchan recommends take lots of capacity for photographs and sketching for ideas though, you will probably get an overload of ideas from so many 'everyday' things you won't know where to start...

Comment

Lorchen and Rosemary -

Terrific tips all the way round. Thank you,

Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 56 users online. 0 members and 56 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X