[vb_main_1]

Stick vacuum cleaners

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick vacuum cleaners

Hi, I hope I'm not being cheeky here but I want to buy a corded stick vacuum cleaner (not a re-chargeable one ).
    I have laminated floors throughout the house and really need it for upstairs to save me lugging the big vac upstairs.
    You all know what your sewing rooms looks like after the dust bunnies start breeding, usually I just dry mop but then you have to clean the mop and that means getting the big vac out shaking the mop doesn't really clean it properly.
    I would be grateful for any recomendations, it would have to be available in the UK.
    Thank's
    (Fuss pot)
    Anne

Anne, I have tried and failed with quite a few vacuum cleaners over the years but found I really like my Dyson. The particular model I have has probably been superceded by newer ones because I don't see mine on the Dyson web page anymore. However, you may wish to touch and feel any machine you choose for weight and portability. What I like about mine, first and foremost, is the amount of suction it draws and it has not diminished with the years. The other thing I like about it is that it is bagless, so I pull the canister, turn it over a garbage can and let all the dust bunnies from my sewing fall out! It is expensive but I've had mine well in excess of five years (I'm pretty sure it's about eight years, actually) and it is still going strong. The filters are washable--I keep two, one in the vacuum cleaner and the other one ready to go. The only reason I keep two is because when you wash the filter, it has to air dry and takes 24 hours. Finally, my particular model was the lightest one in the series at the time and I can carry it up and down the stairs without trouble. It was a bit expensive, but it has not been serviced yet. I'm sure you might be able to find something comparable today, if it turns out you like the Dyson too. Good luck!

Comment

i bought dyson, the most inexpensive one, and it works just great!
      i have 2 cats and quilting corner in the living room (free your imagination...)
      it is great, powerful and it is so satisfactory to see all the dust accumulate on the transparent container.
      as well it isnt more expensive then other vacuum cleaners and as well you save fare amount of money
      that you dont need any sacks!

Comment

But aren't the Dyson vacuums quite big? Did you mean a hand vacuum Anne? I had a Black n Decker one for years which sat on it's charger when not in use, but they eventually don't hold the charge any more. I haven't bought one since. Dust, loose threads and I are very close friends.

Comment

Most of the Dysons are indeed big. However, mine is a DC18 Slim Dyson, measures 16-1/3 by 12 by 43-2/3 inches and weighs just a bit over 15 pounds, lightweight enough for me to carry up and down the stairs and has the same suction power as the bigger Dysons. It is not a rechargeable vacuum either--that would drive me nuts! :roll: :lol:

Comment

I have been speaking to a cousin of mine and she was given a stick vac made by "Torino" for Christmas, it has 5 metres of cord costs £19-99 on Ebay.
            She says it is great, she has carpets throughout her house and also a cat, I have laminate floors throughout and no animals.
            So, for under £20-00 I thought I would give it a try.
            Watch this space.
            Anne

Comment

I will be very interested to see how you get on with it Anne. I use a Miele vacuum which I am very happy with but you do have to change the bag a little too often for my liking. (Having a cat and a dog make that necessary.)

Comment

We have something here called a Swiffer. It is kind of like a dust mop except that it has a flat area that swivels around. On this flat area you put a throw away sheet that can really hold a lot of dust bunnies and threads (and in my house--dog hair). It makes it pretty easy to clean a laminate floor (ours are lino and wood), is very light weight and if you recycle your fabric softener sheets and use them. Just a thought.

Comment

I had what I thought was a wonderful re-chargeable Shark and I was in LOVE! Then it quit holding the charge. They were so very nice to send me a new cord. Then a new charger. Then a new something or other. But when it came down to the fact that it was the BATTERY that was faulty, it was a NO GO!

So, now I have a stick with a long cord, but it's not the same portability. Maybe what I need is a 'maid!' ha

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by QuilterLynn
                    Maybe what I need is a 'maid!' ha Lynn
                    I'll have what she's having! :lol:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Me too! :mrgreen:

Comment

Hi Ritzy,
                        I too have a swiffer or similar but I am having a problem getting the replacement sheets in the UK.
                        Like everything else these days they IMPROVE things and bring out a newer model and then you can't get the bits belonging to the old one.
                        I have a Mr Sheen duster with an extending handle but I can't get the replacements for it, I can get them for a different type but the end piece than you slide the fluffy bit onto is double pronged and they don't fit.
                        I'm afraid we live in a throw away society these days.
                        Hope you had a good Christmas
                        Anne

Comment

Well I've done it,I've ordered a TORINO corded stick vacuum cleaner from Ebay £24.95. should be with me by 3rd January.
                          It had better be good after all the palava on Ebay :?
                          I'll let you know.
                          Anne

Comment

Anne, you can cut scrap batting to fit the Swiffer and use them to clean with! Great use for your scraps or if you don't have a lot of batting scraps, and know a longarm quilter nearby, you could get plenty there!!

Comment

That is such a good idea Michelle, I never would have thought of that!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 28 users online. 0 members and 28 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X