[vb_main_1]

Patchwork/quilting shops in Wales

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patchwork/quilting shops in Wales

I have recently moved to Cardiff from abroad and I am looking for shops that sells fabric, notions, potions and lotions for my increasing addiction to piecing and quilting. So far I have only found one and because I am touchy-feely sort of girl I am not keen on buying fabric online (have had some sad experiences with that during my time abroad).
    Anybody know of any shops in Wales or the border country?
    TIA
    Marianne

Marianne, if you google quilt shops in Wales there are quite a few that come up. Penella Patchwork is in Port Talbot, Cross Patch, Carmarthenshire, North Wales (I think). That's just the first two I came upon. Good luck with the hunt.

Comment

Busy Bees at Newport won't be so far from you, its a smashing little shop. http://www.busybeespatchwork.com/

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
        Marianne, if you google quilt shops in Wales there are quite a few that come up. Penella Patchwork is in Port Talbot, Cross Patch, Carmarthenshire, North Wales (I think). That's just the first two I came upon. Good luck with the hunt.
        Thank you, Rita, Penella Patchwork is sadly internet sales only but I found one shop in Llanelli in Camarthenshire by duckducking Cross Patch. Camarthenshire is not too far away so that would make a good one-day outing and we would get to see an area we have never explored before.
        Thanks again.
        Marianne

Comment

Originally posted by twiglet
          Busy Bees at Newport won't be so far from you, its a smashing little shop. http://www.busybeespatchwork.com/
          Thanks, Wendy. I have been there a couple of times already and even did a class there last month. The shop is very geared towards their classes which is handy and it is in a lovely setting with great possibilities for walking and for having a cup of tea! Not to be sniffed at Fabric browsing is thirsty business.
          Do you have a shop near you or do you buy off the internet?
          Marianne

Comment

There is one near me but I rarely buy from it, it tends to be at shows and shops I visit on holiday. I get supplies but not fabric off the internet. Like you I need to feel them. I don't often buy for specific projects just keep gathering it

Comment

Originally posted by twiglet
              There is one near me but I rarely buy from it, it tends to be at shows and shops I visit on holiday. I get supplies but not fabric off the internet. Like you I need to feel them. I don't often buy for specific projects just keep gathering it
              I hope now we are retired that I get the chance to visit shops when we go on trips (I'm sure I can find interesting sites near shops I want to visit :P ).
              I know all about gathering - bad idea to have to pack everything up prior to a move - shocking discoveries - I have enough dressmaking fabric to keep me dressed for the rest of my life and quite a lot of quilting cotton ops: Don't know where that came from because I try to only buy for a specific project. Mind you, it did surprise me that I found very little I wouldn't use today; a few fat quarters that was leftovers from a pack where I had used all the rest but nothing much.
              Marianne

Comment

I tend to mostly buy from shows, that said, we have a local deptartment store company called 'Boyes' that, although not brilliant, does sometimes have some nice fabrics for piecing in - you just have to keep an eye on things. I have also bought some fabric from Hobbycraft (it was in the sale) although generally their range is limited & a bit on the pricey side to my mind. I did have a small quilting fabrics shop in the next village for about 5-6 years and after it closed, the lady who ran it gave me all the left over stock that she hadn't managed to sell & didn't want to keep - woo-hoo! 8) about 65 yards! I am definitely sorted for quantity. :wink:

Have you checked Worcester or Shrewsbury - I think there might be shops there. You could also buy one of the patchworking magazines to browse through the ads for finding shops.

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                  I tend to mostly buy from shows, that said, we have a local deptartment store company called 'Boyes' that, although not brilliant, does sometimes have some nice fabrics for piecing in - you just have to keep an eye on things. I have also bought some fabric from Hobbycraft (it was in the sale) although generally their range is limited & a bit on the pricey side to my mind. I did have a small quilting fabrics shop in the next village for about 5-6 years and after it closed, the lady who ran it gave me all the left over stock that she hadn't managed to sell & didn't want to keep - woo-hoo! 8) about 65 yards! I am definitely sorted for quantity. :wink:

Have you checked Worcester or Shrewsbury - I think there might be shops there. You could also buy one of the patchworking magazines to browse through the ads for finding shops.
                  Rosemary,
                  I will check Worcester and Shrewsbury! I hadn't realised Hobbycraft carried quiltin cotton. There is one here in Cardiff so will try them. I need orange fabrics for some appliqué which is what started me on this quest to find shops.
                  Wow, 65 yards! Did you have ot buy a shed to keep it in? I find it really hard to find space to store my fabrics after I have moved. Reducing the square footage to half is good exercise for your creativity
                  Buying a patchwork magazine - why didn't I think of that? Thank you!
                  Marianne

Comment

Fortunately, I didn't need a shed for it, but I am starting to take over (have taken over) the bottom of our walk in airing cupboard, about 32" cubed, as well as a couple of boxes on top of the wardrobe & the rest that is in the sewing room. if you go here you can see the swag I was given :wink: http://forum/your-tips-and-discoveri...orage-solution

Comment

Fortunately, I didn't need a shed for it, but I am starting to take over (have taken over) the bottom of our walk in airing cupboard, about 32" cubed, as well as a couple of boxes on top of the wardrobe & the rest that is in the sewing room. if you go here you can see the swag I was given :wink: http://forum/your-tips-and-discoveri...orage-solution
                      I am sure that any quilter who gets an offer like that finds space to store it :lol: If nothing else one could always play "Princess and the Pea" :P
                      Marianne

Comment

Marianne, that is a great suggestion for storing. Mine is more of a question of where to hide it. DH helps me turn the mattresses so that wouldn't work for me. :lol: He doesn't complain, but sometimes I feel guilty. Then he starts looking at another gun and then I don't feel guilty anymore :wink: . My latest trick is to have some stacked around the sewing room that I am "cleaning and rearranging". I don't think he would recognize something new. :lol: :lol: Then I ask him to please put the shelves in the closet for me so I would have easier access to the fabric. I have been waiting for that for a year now. Also for a piece of plywood to make a larger ironing surface. DS is coming for a visit in Nov. so maybe he could do that for me. DH is usually willing to help, but has been having leg and knee problems for months and it is harder for him. He is taking me to Europe next year, so I shouldn't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Marianne-is-sewing
                          I am sure that any quilter who gets an offer like that finds space to store it :lol: If nothing else one could always play "Princess and the Pea" :P
                          Marianne
                          That space is already taken up with large wooden boxes containing our 17th century clothing :wink: not that we re-enact anymore, but you can't just chuck it - it might come in handy again some day :wink: :P

Comment

Better wear some of it to our next meet up. Any pics of you?

Comment

Marianne,

Hereford is not too far from Cardiff, (quite a good Train service) Doughty's in Hereford have quite a good selection of Quilting fabric. Worth a look if you are ever in town.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 44 users online. 0 members and 44 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X