[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

'Wot RoTT' exchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rita, when I was getting started into "my dyeing journey" I researched the topic of tea dyeing, online. I ended up using fiber reactive dyes, since tea or coffee dyeing/staining is semi-permanent and the acid in them will degrade the fabrics. The link bellow has some good information about it. Hope it helps.

http://www.marthabeth.com/dye.html

Thank you for posting those photos. I have not even a tiny :idea: on how am I going to set the reels for my quilt. Looking at photos of quilts with reels should spark some inspiration to get me going.

Comment

Limbania, thanks for the information. I wonder would salt neutralize the acid? I never did science in school so nothing about such matters. I will have to think again. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorna1021
        Pretty colors! THanks for sharing. I hope it earns the guild lots of money. I have been so busy entertaining family that have come to visit and catching up on UFOs that I have not started my Reels quilt. My goal when I moved here was to use up what I have in my stash and not buy new fabric. So we'll see how that works out.

Lorna
        I take it that that excludes all the green fqs I saw you buying :wink: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
          Originally posted by Lorna1021
          Pretty colors! THanks for sharing. I hope it earns the guild lots of money. I have been so busy entertaining family that have come to visit and catching up on UFOs that I have not started my Reels quilt. My goal when I moved here was to use up what I have in my stash and not buy new fabric. So we'll see how that works out.

Lorna
          I take it that that excludes all the green fqs I saw you buying :wink: :lol:

You couldn't expect me to go cold turkey, could you!? :shock: Old habits are hard to break, so yes, the one allowance I have made is to buy a green fat quarter from each show or shop I visit while living here. Not sure why I picked green except everything is so darn green here (year round!). Especially compared to San Antonio, Texas, where I just moved from, or southern California where I grew up. I love it!

Lorna

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
            Limbania, thanks for the information. I wonder would salt neutralize the acid? I never did science in school so nothing about such matters. I will have to think again. Thanks.
            Salt will help to set the dye to the fabric, but not neutralize it.

To neutralize an acid you need something which is alkali - sodium bicarbonate/bicabonate of soda (same stuff) will do (just phoned my Mum to check, she is a chemist 8) )

I have absolutely not idea as to quantities needed, but gardeners are able to buy little PH sets to check the acid/akali state of their soil, if you were really bothered, you could get one of those to check your results of your test swatches.

Or you could just say 'Since I won't be around in 50 years time, what the heck' and go for it. :lol:

Comment

Thanks Rosemary (and your mother). That's just great to know that bicarb of soda will work. I will give it a try so. Not too worried about what happens to my quilts in 50 years time as I doubt I will still be around, and even if I am I will probably be very gaga!

Comment

Here's my 2 cents worth:

Rita, love those reel settings! Regarding tea dyeing, found info here:
                http://www.quilt.com/FAQS/TeaDyingFAQ.html
                (Scroll down to part about tannic acid...Barbara Backman recommends not using tea, rather tan dye for the look you want.)

Lois, there is info here about the fires:
                http://wildfiretoday.com/
                Looks like things are under better control & some areas even got a little rain.
                Hope all is well with Bren!

Lorna, I can relate to "finish it, use it up!" lol, that's the title of my blog!

p.s. looks like I'm slow in posting this as several more comments have been made! I have used vinegar to stop the discharge
                process when bleaching fabric, but have not used it with tea dyeing. And you never know about the quilts being around for a long time!

Comment

Just thought that I would say that I started working on my spools quilt today. Got 16 blocks done. Still not certain how it will eventually be put together but I decided to go ahead and make the basic blocks anyway. It's turning out very colourful. I had thought of using all the same fabric for the spool tops and bottoms but it was too dull so I am using a few different fabrics for them.

Work in progress photo:

Not great light in the photo, it's late at night here. Off to bed now, g'night.

Comment

Rita,
                    Looks super!
                    Sweet dreams.

Comment

Colorful it is! What a great idea to start this now... my default plan was Edyta Sytar's quilt... hmmm... so I could start and worry about whether I will do her border or something else later. Thanks for the brilliant idea and for sharing, Rita!

Codladh sámh!

Comment

Luv it, Rita!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I think that's very pretty!

Comment

Looks awesome Rita!! I never considered different colors for the spool ends! I was stuck on either a brown or another dark... but you have inspired me to step out of the box!!

Oh, and I think I see one of my turquoise reels on the lower right side!! How fun!!

Comment

Great looking spools, Rita.
                              Looks like I see my "yellow" reel on the top right.

Looks like a great job on your spools.

Margarita

Comment

Rita,
                                Your quilt will be extraordinary when finished...thanks for sharing.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 267 users online. 0 members and 267 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X