[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

'Wot RoTT' exchange

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are using commerical fabrics you can use Retayne to wash them in. Since all our colors for the reels are in the same family (blue set, red set, whatever you chose), you can do them all together. I did my strips last night, in a medium dishpan with Retayne. Soak and hand agitate, rinse, then about 20 min in the dryer. They came out slightly damp and a bit wrinkled, but then I pressed them with Best Press and now have a huge pile of lovely flat strips ready to sew!

Comment

I would like to take part in your exchange.

mailto:velvetag@aol.com Colorado Springs, Co U.S.A. It sounds like so much fun!

Comment

Originally posted by velvetag
        I would like to take part in your exchange.

mailto:velvetag@aol.com Colorado Springs, Co U.S.A. It sounds like so much fun!
        Please send a PM to Rosemary per these instructions: http://forum/friendship-triangle-exc...-rott-exchange

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I just sent an email to Rosemary to add my name if there was still space. I didn't join The Quilt Show until May, so the triangle and strip exchanges were already done. This should be fun!

Sue

Comment

I would like to take part in the exchange.
            Barb
            Colorado Springs, Colorado U.S.A.
            Please let me know how many to make and were to send them. Thanks mailto:velvetag@aol.com

Comment

I will be using black & white fabrics with red pop's for color.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."...quote courtesy of Dr. Seuss

Comment

My blocks are done. They did not take long at all. I am back at work on Monday so wanted to finish up before then.

Comment

I just got back tonight and the first thing I did was check the stash to decide on the colour for my spools. I will be making dark green variations. I have just washed the fabrics with synthrapol but I have to get some starch tomorrow. I can't wait to start sewing. Just got a delivery of real spools from Superior too.

Comment

Rita, if you don't want to wait to get starch, you can make your own with corn starch that you probably have in your pantry/cupboard!
                    Here is Diane Gaudynski's recipe: http://www.dianegaudynski.net/tips-april.htm

Try my recipe for spray starch for all your pressing/piecing needs. Remember, you can adjust any of these amounts to suit your own needs, and also don't keep this for more than two weeks max. I make up a batch when I need it, then dump it out when I'm finished. It produces a super flat stable quilt: Dissolve half a teaspoon (or one teaspoon for a stiffer starch) of regular Argo cornstarch (in your cupboard probably) in a few tablespoons of cold water in a heat proof 2-cup measuring pitcher like Pyrex. Add boiling water to make one cup, stirring constantly. Then add cold water to the 2 cup line. Let cool and use in a pump spray bottle. Shake it every time you spray. You may have to dilute it a little if it is too thick or builds up white flakes. Lasts a week or so as there are no preservatives, no chemicals, no nothing that harms us or the environment, and it’s practically free, except for the spray bottle! Don't starch fabrics for storage as it will attract critters such as centipedes, and mice.

Comment

I sent in my note to join in on the fun! Have wanted to make the spool quilt since I first saw it! Thanks for taking on this swap....

Comment

I'm planning on doing grayish blues. Hint - if your fabrics are already washed like mine, you can start with a 5" strip instead of the 6" that Margo uses. You'll still have plenty of room for the fudge factor on the end strips, when you are trimming up the final units.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                          Rita, if you don't want to wait to get starch, you can make your own with corn starch that you probably have in your pantry/cupboard!
                          Here is Diane Gaudynski's recipe: http://www.dianegaudynski.net/tips-april.htm

Try my recipe for spray starch for all your pressing/piecing needs. Remember, you can adjust any of these amounts to suit your own needs, and also don't keep this for more than two weeks max. I make up a batch when I need it, then dump it out when I'm finished. It produces a super flat stable quilt: Dissolve half a teaspoon (or one teaspoon for a stiffer starch) of regular Argo cornstarch (in your cupboard probably) in a few tablespoons of cold water in a heat proof 2-cup measuring pitcher like Pyrex. Add boiling water to make one cup, stirring constantly. Then add cold water to the 2 cup line. Let cool and use in a pump spray bottle. Shake it every time you spray. You may have to dilute it a little if it is too thick or builds up white flakes. Lasts a week or so as there are no preservatives, no chemicals, no nothing that harms us or the environment, and it’s practically free, except for the spray bottle! Don't starch fabrics for storage as it will attract critters such as centipedes, and mice.
                          Rita - quick reminder, depending on how you use the language, seeing as you are betwixt & between UK & USA :lol: here in UK we call cornstarch 'cornflour' Failing that http://www.lakeland.co.uk/23486/Trad...ry-Starch-500g and they will post to you but it will cost £6 p&p from Cumbria. I have a large tub, but I don't think that it would be a good idea to offer to post you some, as small bag of white powder! :wink:

PS I really like the Lakeland shops they have some great products & recipes available online!

Comment

Thanks Margo and Rosemary. I managed to get some Dylon starch spray today which has worked very well. But thanks for the info - I will store it away for future use. Can't wait to get started on the cutting and sewing tonight. Rita.

Comment

I resisted for 5 days hoping it would fill up quickly. I've sent my email so it looks like I may be in unless there were a lot of emails that didn't respond here. Possibly thanks to this exchange I spent part of the weekend making 29 spools from leftover fabric of another project I'm working on. That was a slow process as I was using mostly scraps. These blocks finish at 5" square. I'm planning on doing the exchange spools differently so they should go quickly. I don't have a colorway yet.

If I've done the math right, I will need 8 fat eighths that will be cut into 1" x 22" (hopefully) strips. 7 strips from each for a total of 56 strips will make 42 blocks, 6 from each strip set. Of course I don't plan on cutting them 1". I will be cutting them 2" or maybe even 4" and using my seam guide and bars to sew down the middle. And I will probably end up with 48 blocks. I expect they will be finished quickly once I've chosen the fabric. I'm looking forward to getting blocks from everyone in all the different colorways.

Comment

Re: Starch- If someone uses starch ( I haven't in decades) - would you have to awash it out before actually using the quilt/object. Doesn't it attract bugs and grow yucky stuff. Is it now necessary to use it?

And, Margo, thanks for your instructions and diagrams re the sewing of the strips.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 99 users online. 0 members and 99 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X