No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

What's it take to be a quilt guild president?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's it take to be a quilt guild president?

Hello Everyone,

I have been quilting since 1999 and have belonged to several quilt guilds since that time. I am soon to accept the challenge of becoming quilt guild president and would like some information on what other presidents do for their guild, what activities do other guilds offer, and what new activities are there to introduce. My current guild in 3 years old and has grown from 4 members to over 70 in that time. I've been a member for ~1 year. This guild has a block of the month, challenge quilt, charity quilt, and some other activity like a 1/2 square triangle exchange or a fat quarter exchange. I'd enjoy hearing from other guild presidents, other quilters, professionals, guild members, etc to get ideas, suggestions, and feedback. Oddly enough, there isn't much information on the internet or in the TQS forums!

I'm eagerly awaiting to see what you all have to say!
    Kristen Edens

Hi Kristen!
    Here are some ideas that were great fun in the few guilds I have been a member of over the years and in different cities:
    -birthday blocks where those who signed up make blocks, for which birthday person has given the design/instructions etc. and sometimes a key piece of fabric, and give them on or close to the birthdate. It is a fun and quick way to get a quilt done.
    -mystery quilts in paper bags where you put in fabrics you would like in bag and a pieced centre or row. Then these get circulated every so many months or weeks etc among members who signed up. Pieces get added and bag is rotated but no one ever sees the final quilts until the reveal day. The first person can also leave a note in bag specifying what is not to be used or done.
    -specific colour and/or themed fabric exchange for members that sign up. This is a great way to increase colours or types of prints in your stash. In Ottawa we had seasonal themes almost every year. Our exchanges varied from fat quarters to 5" squares to strips etc.
    -paint chip challenge where members pick out of a bag a strip of colour from the paint displays of home improvement-type stores and they then have to make a small quilt or sew something in those colours
    -crayon challenge - same as above but with coloured crayons
    -block exchanges with a theme or colour specification

I hope this helps!
    cheers
    Jeanine in sunny Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Thank you, Jeanine!
      These are great ideas! I like the paint chip challenge.
      I've been thinking of doing a challenge called the ME Quilt. Here's why: many of us create so many quilts for friends and family members that we rarely get the opportunity to make one for ourselves. I'm thinking about each month taking on a certain 'Me' theme such as 'my favorite things', the best day of my life, what makes me strong, memories, etc. What do you think? Got ideas to add?
      How about those who are reading this post? What would make a good ME quilt challenge addition?

I'm pleased to mee you Jeanine! Keep smiling and quilting in sunny Nova Scotia!
      Kristen

Comment

In the guilds where I've been president, that is about the easiest job! Even in the guild where I'm a co-president this year, there are only 10 members. The other guild had about 70 members. Both guilds have a program chair, secretary, treasurer, etc. Mostly, I run the meeting, make my agenda for the order and my notes of what we need to go over, and ask for reports from all the officers & committees. I don't plan the charity project - I asked for one to be in charge, and then for their report each meeting. Etc.

This year for one guild, our charity project is to make pillowcases for children in foster care. Often, they got to the new home with everything they own in a garbage bag. The pillowcase can be used for a pillow or for a bag to carry their belongings. (They will be given when the child is moved to a foster home. Gift and useful and not so embarrassing carrier.)

One guild has a birthday gift for each one who has a birthday that month: a FQ rolled with a candle flame shape cut from paper, taped to a toothpick, and stuck in the top of the roll. In a basket or small tote, it looks like a lovely birthday cake! At the meeting, the birthday people for that month get to choose a FQ for their gift.

A 12" block pattern provided (downloaded from a free internet site) each month. If you bring your finished block back the next month, you get your name in a drawing for a small gift. At the end of the year, those who have completed all 12 are in a drawing for a larger gift. The large gift last year was a desk ott light.
        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
        working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
        Tired. 
        Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
        Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

Thank you, Joyce!
          Your information and ideas are very helpful.
          I'll present your options and see how the group responds.
          It will be a fun few years for them--and me, as president.

Kristen
          Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
          Tired. 
          Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
          Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

If I were to make a "me" quilt I think it would have something to do with my wonderful 3 daughters who have different interests. I'd try to blend themes such as ethnomusicology and music with women's rights and international development toed in with consumer sociology??!!I think it would end up being a more "modern" style quilt.

What a fun idea!

Jeanine
            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
            Tired. 

Comment

Originally posted by "Kristyk" post=140094
              I've been thinking of doing a challenge called the ME Quilt. What would make a good ME quilt challenge addition?
              Kristen
              A friend of mine used the book: A Quilter's Diary, Written in Stitches by Mimi Dietrich
              It has good suggestions of what sections of your life to look at and help in choosing a pieced block or appliqué to represent that time or event. Many on first thought might think they have to do photo transfers and I like the block idea that gives special meaning to the art of piecing (or appliqué) and is a code meaning to an important part of their life.
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              Tired. 

Comment

How is your quilt guild doing, Kristen? I'd love to hear about your experiences in the past couple of years if you're still around.
                Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                Tired. 

Comment

Hello and thank you for asking!
                  Interestingly, there were too many debates regarding the guild board members and offices. At the time I wrote this question, they were considering 2 presidents (I still don't know why we didn't do pres & VP, but oh well...) I backed out since I didn't want to get caught up in the politics. Now, the guild is open to another president and there are several members requesting I be the next president. I'm back to probably accepting because it is something that is important to me. It could be an interesting presidency!
                  Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                  Tired. 

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 28 users online. 0 members and 28 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X